'A Christmas Story' is definitely a top trending Christmas movie every holiday season.
It is the perfect movie to keep you and your family entertained every holiday season. The movie surely reminds you of the joy of making a Christmas gift list and then patiently waiting till the final day when you can actually see if you got the items from your list.
If you are someone who has made it a tradition to re-watch the movie every year and have probably memorized the script and scenes and are in love with the whole cast and the cute boy Ralph then wait no more and take this A Christmas Story quiz. If you enjoyed our 80s movie trivia and The Grinch movie trivia, you will surely like 'A Christmas Story' trivia. Let’s see how well you do.
Movie Plot Trivia
A Christmas story is a beautiful and fun storyline about a boy named Ralph who wants a Red Ryder shot range model air rifle as a gift for Christmas. There are several scenes from 'A Christmas Story' that are eye-catching but also have certain hidden traits that only a mega-fan can remember or find out. For example, not everyone would be able to figure out what 'A Christmas Story' time period or timeline it follows and is set in. You think you know it well, give the quiz a try.
1. Question: Ralphie’s father was referred to as ‘the old man’, but what was the name given to him in the film?
Answer: Ralphie’s father was never named in the film.
2. Question: Question: A piece of music is played when Ralphie says ‘fudge’, and the lamp breaks for the second time. Where is that music from?
Answer: It is the opening of ‘Hamlet’ by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
3. Question: In what magazine does Ralphie insert the flyer of his Red Ryder BB gun to get his mother’s attention?
Answer: The ‘LOOK’ Magazine
4. Question: How many times did Ralphie say that he wanted a Red Ryder BB Gun
Answer: 28 times
5. Question: What does the Parker family eat for dinner every night?
Answer: Mashed potatoes, red cabbage, and meatloaf.
6. Question: Which Christmas Carol plays in the opening of the movie?
Answer: Deck the Halls
7. Question: In ‘A Christmas Story’, how old was Ralphie?
Answer: Nine years
8. Question: What was the name of the book written by Jean Shepherd on which the movie is actually based?
Answer: In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
9. Question: When Ralphie tells his mother, teacher, and Santa about wanting a Red Ryder air rifle for Christmas, what line does everyone use to discourage Ralphie from getting it?
Answer: “You’ll shoot your eye out.”
10. Question: What was the name of the department store where Ralph sees the BB gun.
Answer: Higbee’s was the name of a department store.
11. Question: What is the color of soap in Ralphie’s mouth
12. Question: What grade did Ralphie get on his assignment, ‘What I want for Christmas’?
Answer: A C+
13. Question: What car does Ralph’s father drive?
Answer: An Oldsmobile
14. Question: What time does the store close where Ralphie and Randy go to meet Santa?
Answer: 9:00 ‘o’ clock.
15. Question: What did Flick gift his father for Christmas?
Answer: A rose that squirts water
16. Question: What does the Parker family usually eat for Christmas dinner?
Answer: A turkey
17. Question: What was the name of the host of the radio show, Little Orphan Annie?
Answer: Pierre Andre
18. Question: According to Ralphie, what imaginary villain pestered the Parker clan?
Answer: Black Bart
19. Question: Which city have the filmmakers shown as 'A Christmas Story town?
Answer: Hammond, Indiana
20. Question: In the dream where Ralphie defeats Black Bart, what does he call his Red Ryder BB gun?
Answer: Ol’ Blue
21. Question: Which character from ‘The Wizard of Oz’ visited Randy and Ralphie while they waited in the line to see Santa?
Answer: The Wicked Witch
22. Question: What did Ralphie gift his teacher for Christmas?
Answer: A fruit basket
23. Question: What was the name of the Chinese restaurant where the Parker family ate Christmas dinner
Answer: Chop Suey Palace
24. Question: Which soap did Ralphie eat for his punishment?
25. Question: What gift did Mrs. Parker give Mr. Parker for Christmas?
Answer: A bowling ball
26. Question: Who gifted Ralphie a pink bunny suit?
Answer: Aunt Clara
27. Question: How did Ralphie break his glasses?
Answer: He stepped on them
28. Question: Which soap did Ralphie prefer eating when he got punished?
Answer: Lux Soap
29. Question: What street did Ralphie and his family live on?
Answer: Cleveland Street
The Cast Trivia
The cast of 'A Christmas Story' couldn't have been better. Bob Clark, the director, went through thousands of auditions before choosing the actual Christmas story characters and assigning them the perfect roles, making the film a hit among the audience. The Cast was very wisely chosen, and they made the true essence of the movie come out.
30. Question: ‘A Christmas Story’ was the debut film of which actor?
Answer: Zack Ward
31. Question: Who narrates the film as the adult Ralphie?
Answer: Jean Shepherd narrated Christmas Story.
32. Question: Who plays Scout/'Scut' Farkus?
Answer: Zack Ward
33. Question: Who played Randy?
Answer: Ian Petrella
34. Question: The director Bob Clark made a cameo appearance as what character?
Answer: As Swede, the parker family’s neighbor.
35. Question: Wil Wheaton auditioned for the role of which character from the movie?
Answer: Role of Ralphie
36. Question: Which actress was pregnant during the production?
Answer: Teddy Moore
37. Question: Which actor sued Warner Bros Studios over merchandising under the movie, ‘A Christmas Story?’
Answer: Zack Ward
38. Question: Which character can be seen in the movie but was not a part of the book written by Jean Shepherd on which the movie is based?
Answer: Scut Farkus
39. Question: Who was the first child to audition for the role of Ralphie?
Answer: Peter Billingsley
40. Question: Who all made a brief cameo in the department store scene where Ralphie and Randy were
waiting to see Santa?
Answer: Jean Shepherd and his wife
41. Question: Which actor almost played the role of Ralphie’s father but wasn’t cast in the movie
because of the high fee?
Answer: Jack Nicholson
42. Question: Who was the onscreen actor that went to play the same role in one of the sequels to the movie?
Answer: Teddy Moore as Miss Shields
43. Question: Name another Christmas movie in which Peter Billingsley (Ralphie) starred?
Making a film is not an easy task; the production is a very integral and crucial part of the process of filmmaking. Production is what puts the script of the film into actual action. It was Bob Clark and his production team that decided the location setting of 'A Christmas Story'. Production involves a big team who work day and night to finish the shoot while working day and night.
44. Question: In which two cities was the movie originally filmed in?
Answer: Cleveland, Ohio, and Toronto, Canada
45. Question: What was used to create the illusion of Flick’s tongue sticking the flagpole?
Answer: A suction tube
46. Question: Although Peter Billingsley occupies most of the screen time, how many dialogue lines did he actually have?
Answer: Ninety-three dialogue lines.
47. Question: Which museum owns some props used in the film?
Answer: The St. Catherine’s Museum
48. Question: Where does ‘A Christmas Story’ take place?
Answer: Hammond, Indiana
49. Question: For how much was the house from the movie sold and to whom?
Answer: $150,000 to a collector named Brain Jones
50. Question: What was the name of the show which was inspired by ‘A Christmas Story?’
Answer: 'The Wonder Years'
51. Question: To how many cities did Bob Clark send his scouts to before finalizing the locations?
Answer: 20 cities
52. Question: Who created and styled the leg lamp in the movie ‘A Christmas Story?’
Answer: Reuben Freed
53. Question: How many leg lamps were made and broken on set during filming for the movie?
54. Question: The film was released before what festival?
55. Question: What indicates that the movie takes place in December 1940?
Answer: The radio, The Orphan Annie decoder pin that Ralphie receives.
56. Question: What was the name of the real leg lamp on which the award leg lamp was based on?
Answer: An Illuminated Nehi Logo
57. Question: How many subpar sequels have been made for the movie?
58. Question: The short stories written in the book by Jean Shepherd were originally written for which magazine?
59. Question: What is the name of the documentary that portrays two ‘mega fans’ of the film who visit all the production sites and locations?
Answer: Road Trip for Ralphie
60. Question: What song plays in the background during the scenes of Scut
Answer: Peter and the wolves
61. Question: What networks play a 24-hour marathon of the movie ‘A Christmas Story’ on Christmas Eve?
Answer: TBS and TNT
62. Question: In which year did the movie premier in Cinema halls?
63. Question: After the film gained popularity, which company started selling Red Ryder BB gun during the Christmas Season?
Answer: Daisy Rifle Company
64. Question: What is the run time of the movie?
Answer: 94 minutes
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly trivia for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for A Christmas Story Trivia then why not take a look at more festive movie trivia It's A Wonderful Life trivia, or Home Alone trivia.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.