Alternative names for animals can be really funny!
Although all animal names have meaning, there is no harm in having a little fun by giving animals a different name inspired by how they look or act. For example, a guinea pig is much better described as a furry potato, and a snake could be so much funnier if it was known as a nope rope!
There are so many different funny ideas when it comes to naming animals and we love them all! Let's take a look at some of the best silly nicknames for animals that actually make a lot of sense.
Alternate Reptile Names
Reptiles are beautiful creature, most of the reptiles on this list have earned their name as a result of the way they look or how they act.
1. American Killer Log, the danger posed by the crocodile has earned it this better name.
2. Changing Color Dragon, the chameleon changes its colors on demand.
3. Grumpy McSnapface, a better way to name a turtle.
4. Magical Safety Dragon, the real name of this reptile is the bearded dragon. The name is cute and charming.
5. Nope Rope, the snake is called a nope rope because it looks just like a rope and makes many of us think "nope!".
Alternate Bird Names
Birds are not left out when it comes to the amazing alternative names for animals.
6. Beach Chicken, the beach chicken is a better name for the seagull!
7. Cat Bird, if it looks like a cat and flies then it's an owl.
8. Formal Chicken, also known as the penguin.
9. Freedom Glider, otherwise known as the bald eagle.
10. Pantless Thunder Goose, otherwise known as the ostrich.
Alternate Mammal Names
Nothing will stop us from calling these mammals one of the alternative names for animals! If you are enjoying this list of other names for animals, it only gets better from here. Which of these renamed animals is your favorite?
11. Arrow Pig, one of the best funny animal names is the one given to the porcupine.
12. Booplesnoot, one of the cool animal names for the rabbit.
13. Danger Water Cow, the 'danger' in this alternate animal name is not for fun. The hippo is a really dangerous animal.
14. Danger Zebra, the danger zebra is perfect for tigers as their orange and black stripes seem to signify danger.
15. Fart Squirrel, the fart squirrel is the skunk, of course!
16. Floaty Potato, another name for the manatee.
17. Furry Nope, another name for the grizzly bear.
18. Furry Potato, the furry potato is also known as the guinea pig.
19. Giraffe Ship, looking for a funny animal name? The giraffe ship is the alpaca.
20. Velocirabbit, another name for the Kangaroo.
21. Wizard Cow, also known as the mountain goat mostly because it can pass as Gandalf.
Alternate Fish Names
Aquatic creatures are very beautiful to behold. They are not left out of this list of funny names of animals.
22. Dragon Shrimp, another name for the crayfish.
23. Floppy Floppy Sea Spider, the other name for an octopus.
Kidadl has lots of great baby name articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for alternative and funny names for animals then why not take a look at these Border Collie names that are funny and cute, or something different like these punny cat names for your hilarious kitten?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.