In the '60s, while creators and directors were still trying to figure out their audiences, and binge watching series was still a futuristic concept, one show turned the entertainment world upside down.
This show was none other than 'The Andy Griffith Show'. Starring popular actors such as Andy Griffith, Ron Howard, and Frances Bavier, the American sitcom revolving around the fictional community of Mayberry became an instant success within days of its launch in 1960.
Rated highly for its quality of humor and stellar performances by critics and audiences alike, The Andy Griffith Show was hailed for its accurate portrayal of the small town characters of Mayberry such as Gomer Pyle and its memorable theme song,'Fishin' Hole'. Read on to find out how much you can remember about 'Andy Griffith Show' facts and the inimitable quirks of the various 'Andy Griffith' characters!
'The Andy Griffith Show' Characters Trivia
The characters on the Andy Griffith show hailing from the fictional town of Mayberry were as memorable for their great personalities as they were for the crazy different kinds of situations that they used to find themselves in. Take this quiz and test your knowledge of the characters of the show!
1. Question: What is the first episode that features Thelma Lou?
Answer: 'Cyrano Andy'
2. Question: Which flavor snow cone was the favorite of Barney Fife?
3. Question: What happened to Andy's wife on 'The Andy Griffith Show'?
Answer: She died when Andy's son was a baby
4. Question: What was the character Otis' wife's name?
Answer: Rita Campbell
5. Question: In the Sheriff's boys' day races, what is the competition that Opie Taylor loses ?
Answer: The 50 yard dash
6. Question: In 'Aunt Bee The Juror', the one of 'The Andy Griffith Show' guest stars (who played the defendant) would later go on to play the role of Joker in the 1989 movie 'Batman'. What was the name of the actor?
Answer: Jack Nicholson
7. Question: In what sport was Thelma's cousin from Arkansas particularly skilled?
Answer: Skeet Shooting
8. Question: Which historical event did Andy ask Barney Fife to explain to him in order to test his knowledge of American history?
Answer: The signing of the Declaration of Independence
9. Question: What does Barney Fife keep chanting during the course of the show in a bid to attract good luck?
Answer: "Come, fish, come!"
10. Question: In the inkblot test that was given to Otis, what is the figure that he ends up seeing?
Answer: A bat
11. Question: What was the first meal that was prepared by Aunt Bee for Andy Taylor and Opie?
Answer: Fried Chicken
12. Question: Which comic strip character was the favorite of Gomer Pyle?
Answer: Captain Marvel
'The Andy Griffith Show' Production Trivia
Not only was 'The Andy Griffith Show' popular for its on-screen exploits, but its off-screen stories found their way into the audience's heart as well. Here's an 'Andy Griffith' quiz that deals with the production details and various other happenings that transpired on the Andy Griffith show set!
13. Question: In which year did 'The Andy Griffith Show' start?
Answer: 3 October 1960
14. Question: For how long did 'The Andy Griffith Show' run on television?
Answer: 3 October 1960 until 1 April 1968, almost eight years!
15. Question: How many seasons does 'The Andy Griffith Show' have?
Answer: Eight seasons
16. Question: How many episodes of 'Andy Griffith' were there in all?
Answer: 249 episodes
17. Question: What was the location in which 'The Andy Griffith Show' was filmed?
Answer: Desilu Studios
18. Question: How much did Andy Griffith make from the show?
Answer: While it is not known how much Andy Griffith made per episode, it is estimated that he made approximately $84,000 per year.
19. Question: Who was the writer of the show?
Answer: Harvey Bullock
20. Question: Why did Don Knotts leave 'The Andy Griffith Show'?
Answer: To pursue a career in films
21. Question: How much was Don Knotts worth?
Answer: $20 million dollars
22. Question: Why did 'The Andy Griffith Show' come to an end?
Answer: Most cast members ended up leaving the show citing other commitments
'The Andy Griffith Show' Cast Trivia
Not only did the characters from Mayberry have colorful lives on the show, but they had some interesting stories off set as well. While the fact Frances Bavier hated Andy Griffith was rather common knowledge, other aspects were not that well documented. Here's a few trivia questions that revolve around 'The Andy Griffith Show' cast members to shed some light on some of their personal activities.
23. Question: Aneta Corsaut, who played Helen Crump, was how old when the show first started?
Answer: 27 years
24. Question: In which year did Frances Bavier, who played Aunt Bee, pass away?
Answer: 1989 (on 6 December)
25. Question: Ron Howard, who plays the role of Opie Taylor, directed a movie that won an Academy Award for best picture in 2002. What was the name of the film?
Answer: 'A Beautiful Mind'
26. Question: In which film did actor Andy Griffith, better known as Mayberry Sheriff Andy Taylor, rise to prominence?
Answer: 'A Face In The Crowd'
27. Question: While performing for which broadway play did Andy Griffith and Don Knotts first meet?
Answer: 'No Time For Sergeants'
28. Question: Is anyone still alive from the 'Andy Griffith Show'?
Answer: Only Ron Howard is alive from the original cast
29. Question: Which city in North Carolina, which was also the childhood home of Andy Griffith, is said to be the inspiration for the fictional community of Mayberry, North Carolina?
Answer: Mount Airy
30. Question: How many Emmy awards did Don Knotts win for starring as Barney Fife in 'The Andy Griffith Show'?
'The Andy Griffith Show' Miscellaneous Trivia
The facts about Andy Griffith and his show are so vast in nature that it is impossible to file them all under one tag. Read on to uncover a whole load of interesting 'Andy Griffith' trivia questions and answers about the beloved characters of Mayberry and their lives in general.
31. Question: 'The Andy Griffith Show' is a spinoff of which show?
Answer: 'The Danny Thomas Show'
32. Question: What is the name of the episode in which Andy Griffith and Danny Thomas meet for the first time in 'The Danny Thomas Show'?
Answer: 'Danny Meets Andy Griffith' (Season 7, episode 20)
33. Question: Who was the first woman to wear pants on 'The Andy Griffith Show'?
Answer: Joanna Moore
34. Question: How much did Betty Lynn make per episode on the show?
35. Question: How old is Andy Taylor?
Answer: During the show, he was 34.
36. Question: When it went off the air in the year 1968, 'The Andy Griffith Show' held the number one ratings spot. What are the only two other shows that have managed to achieve this feat?
Answer: 'I Love Lucy' and 'Seinfeld'
37. Question: In the show, which character is shown to be a direct descendant of Nathan Tibbs, the popular revolutionary war hero?
Answer: Otis Campbell
38. Question: Was Andy Griffith hard to work with?
Answer: Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier did not get along during the series
39. Question: Which former President of the United States was Floyd's personal hero?
Answer: Calvin Coolidge
40. Question: What did Gomer name his dog?
41. Question: On whom did Floyd practice his haircutting skills in his early days?
42. Question: Was Aunt Bee ever married?
Answer: No, but she was engaged once
43. Question: Is Barney Fife still alive?
Answer: No, Don Knotts (who played Barney) passed away in 2006
44. Question: Why did Barney leave 'The Andy Griffith Show'?
Answer: As per the show's storyline, he had to leave Mayberry for a job as a detective with the Raleigh Police forces
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly trivia for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'The Andy Griffith Show' trivia, then why not take a look at this 'Star Wars' trivia, or Seinfield trivia for more quizzes?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.