Baby led weaning is essentially missing out spoon-feeding purées and going straight to finger foods, allowing your little one to feed themselves.
Introducing your baby to food can be a little daunting, it's a big learning curve for both you and your baby so take your time, try new things and see what works for you. Your little one will still be getting all of their nutrients from their milk so don't worry if you find they are just playing with the food and not actually eating much of it - it's all part of the process.
We've rounded up six great baby led weaning recipes to help get you started; give them a go and remember it's all trial and error.
Baby-Led Weaning Breakfast Ideas
Experts tell us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so let’s make it a good one!
1.Blueberry Banana Pancake Muffins
These muffins are loaded with protein and fibre and very low in added sugar, making this the perfect breakfast for your little ones.
You’ll need: 2 ripe bananas, 1 cup oats, 1 cup cottage cheese, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 cup frozen blueberries.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Whizz up all of your ingredients apart from the blueberries in a blender until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pour into your muffin tray and top with blueberries.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove your muffins from the oven and allow to cool in the tray for 5-10 minutes before serving them to your baby.
Recipe from My Kids Lick The Bowl.
2.Overnight Oats For Babies
Have breakfast prepped the night before with these overnight oats - a great way to kick start the day.
You’ll need: 1/4 cup of plain yogurt, 1 tbsp of milk and 1 tbsp of quick oats, a selection of berries and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Simply mix the yoghurt milk, oats and berries into a bowl. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and store in the fridge overnight.
Baby-Led Weaning Lunch Ideas
Keep them going until dinner time with these delicious baby-led weaning recipes perfect for little lunches.
3.Broccoli & Cheese Fittata Fingers
These fittata fingers are the perfect lunch time treat.
You’ll need: 1/2 tbsp oil, 75g / 1 cup grated courgette/zucchini, 50g chopped broccoli, 3 medium eggs, 25g grated cheddar cheese, 1 tbsp plain flour and 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs or oregano.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4 and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the courgette and broccoli. Fry lightly for 3-4 minuted until soft.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, flour, cheese and herbs. Add the cooked vegetables and mix until combined.
- Pour your mixture into your prepared tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into fingers.
- Your frittatas will store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
4.Cauliflower Cheese Egg Muffins
These muffins are great for loading little ones with their veggies.
You’ll need: 350g cauliflower florets, 5 eggs, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, handful of baby spinach leaves and cherry tomatoes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4 and grease a muffin tray.
- Chop the cauliflower then blitz it a blender until it resembles fine grain.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs then add the cheese and cauliflower.
- Pour the mixture into your muffin tray and top each muffin with spinach leaves and cherry tomatoes.
- Transfer to the oven for 15-20 minutes until springy to touch. Cool for 5 mins in the tray before serving.
Recipe from My Kids Lick The Bowl.
Baby-Led Weaning Dinner Ideas
Baby-led weaning recipes perfect to fill those little tummies at dinner time.
5.Fish Pie Bites
These little bites are a great way to introduce healthy oily fish into your little ones' diet.
You’ll need: 1 medium baking potato, 1 small salmon fillet, 1 tbsp frozen sweetcorn and peas - defrosted, 1 tsp fresh chives snipped into little strands, 25g mild cheddar grated, 1/4 small egg beaten and oil for greasing.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6. Wrap the potato in foil and bake on a baking tray in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- For the last 10-12 minutes of cooling time bake the fish. Wrap it in foil and place it on the same baking tray. Then remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Cut the potato in half and scoop out the filling into a large bowl and mash.
- Flake the fish into the bowl, being careful to remove any bones and skin. Mix through the vegetables, chives, cheese and egg .
- Make golf-sized balls out of the mixture and form into croquette shapes. Place on a foil-lined tray and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place your fish bites onto a lined baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Make sure they have completely cooled before serving to your little one.
Recipe from BBC Good Food.
6.Chicken & Cannellini Bean Nuggets
Soft and nutritious, these nuggets are a great finger food to try.
You’ll need: 1 cup diced sweet potato, 500g chicken breast, 400g tin cannellini beans - drained and rinsed, 1 chopped brown onion, 1 tsp sweet paprika,1 tbsp mixed dried herbs, 1 - 2 tbsp melted butter OR 2 eggs (to coat the nuggets), 2 cups cornflakes finely crushed OR multigrain breadcrumbs (for your nugget crumb).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4 and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Boil the sweet potato and cannellini beans in a pan until soft.
- In a blender, whizz up the onion then add the chicken breast. Blend until you have a mince texture then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the sweet potato, beans, spices and herbs to the bowl and give it a good mix until it’s all combined.
- Prepare your coating mixture - one bowl with melted butter or egg and one bowl with the cornflake crumb or breadcrumbs, depending on which you’re going to use.
- Take teaspoon amounts of the chicken mixture and roll into little balls. Dip it in the butter/egg and then in to the crumbs. Transfer to your baking trays, press them down a little and make sure they are spread evenly apart. Bake for 20 minutes until cooked through.
Recipe from One Handed Cooks.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.