For many Christians, Advent means the arrival of a notable person or thing, namely the arrival of Jesus Christ. Despite its uncertain origins, the Advent season has long been celebrated, spanning from the fourth Sunday before Christmas up until December 24th.
Advent is, therefore, a time of expectancy and preparation for the celebration of the nativity of Christ at Christmas and also for Christ's return at the Second Coming.
Many Christians celebrate Advent by lighting a Christingle, praying an Advent daily devotional and lighting the candles on a wreath each Sunday, with each candle depicting a different Advent theme. The number of candles, colors and themes differ according to the different denominations of Christianity, but a common understanding is that there are four candles. The first candle is lit to symbolize hope, the following week the second candle is lit to represent peace, the next week the penultimate candle is lit to represent joy and the final candle to be lit represents love, on the final Sunday.
However many non-Christians also practice traditions that are associated with Advent, through other Christmas preparations. These may include: buying an Advent calendar, erecting a Christmas tree and setting up Christmas decorations around and outside their house.
Religious Advent Quotes
Advent is steeped in religious tradition, so it is not surprising that many quotes that are associated with this special time of year are quotes about hope, God and Christmas scripture quotes. As such, you will fine many Advent quotes and even the odd bible verse about advent from various prominent figures in the Christian community, whether that be Popes, Disciples, Saints and more.
1. "Every year we celebrate the holy season of Advent, O God. Every year we pray those beautiful prayers of longing and waiting, and sing those lovely songs of hope and promise."
- Karl Rahner.
2. "At this Christmas when Christ comes, will He find a warm heart? Mark the season of Advent by loving and serving the others with God's own love and concern."
- Mother Teresa (St Teresa of Calcutta).
3. "The Lord is coming, always coming. When you have ears to hear and eyes to see, you will recognize him at any moment of your life. Life is Advent; life is recognizing the coming of the Lord."
- Henri Nouwen.
4. "Into this world, this demented inn in which there is absolutely no room for him at all, Christ comes uninvited."
- Thomas Merton.
5. "Advent is the spiritual season of hope par excellence, and in this season, the whole Church is called to be hope, for itself and for the world."
- Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Ratzinger).
6. "God of hope, I look to you with an open heart and yearning spirit. During this Advent season, I will keep alert and awake, listening for your word and keeping to your precepts. My hope is in you."
- Matthew Kelly.
7. "Advent is a journey towards Bethlehem. May we let ourselves be drawn by the light of God made man."
- Pope Francis.
8. "The celebration of Advent is possible only to those who are troubled in soul, who know themselves to be poor and imperfect, and who look forward to something greater to come."
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
9. "The waiting of Advent teaches us to live in increments, in small pieces rather than large chunks. Waiting also teaches us to measure our progress slowly."
- Holly Whitcomb.
10. The season of Advent means there is something on the horizon the likes of which we have never seen before. So stay. Sit. Linger. Tarry. Ponder. Wait. Behold. Wonder. There will be time enough for running.
- Jan Richardson.
11. "Advent, like its cousin Lent, is a season for prayer and reformation of our hearts."
- Edward Hays, 'A Pilgrim’s Almanac'.
12. "Advent is the season of the seed: the seed, Christ said, is the word of God sown in the human heart."
Caryll Houselander, 'The Reed Of God'.
Inspiring Advent Quotes
Whilst many Advent quotes are associated with religion (such as Bible Christmas quotes, Catholic Advent quotes, Advent scriptures and Saint quotes on Advent), there are also a number of Advent quotes that convey broader themes of goodwill, love, and world peace. From respected theologians such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer to popular poets such as Caryll Houselander, there are many inspiring Advent and Christmas quotes that can be enjoyed both within and outside of a religious context.
13. "Life in a prison cell may well be compared to Advent; one waits, hopes, and does this, that, or the other- things that are of no real consequence- the door is shut, and can be opened only from the outside."
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, 'Letters from Prison', 21 November, 1943 .
14. "Author Glennon Doyle Melton wrote, 'Every time we open our mouths and speak, we are either saying let there be light or let there be darkness' ".
- Max Lucado.
15. "Christmas isn’t just a temporal celebration or the memory of a beautiful (event); Christmas is more … Christmas is an encounter!"
– Pope Francis.
16. "Advent creates people, new people."
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
17. "It is the beautiful task of Advent to awaken in all of us memories of goodness and thus to open doors of hope."
- Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Ratzinger).
18. "The advent of truth, like the dawn of day, agitates the elements, while it disperses the gloom."
- Elias Lyman Magoon.
19. "Out of the darkness, into the light: the time before Christmas is the time of light and mutual love."
- Sir Kristian Goldmund Aumann, '24 Days Until Christmas: 24 Christmas Poems'.
20. "Advent: the time to listen for footsteps – you can’t hear footsteps when you’re running yourself."
- Bill McKibben.
21. "The word advent means 'expectation'. What advent can do for us is create a sense of hope."
- Louie Giglio.
Advent Bible Verses And Advent Scripture
For many Christians, one of the most significant things to consider at Advent is their daily devotional prayer, an Advent prayer. During this period, Christian readings and teachings often will focus on themes of the Second Coming and the Last Judgement. In addition, Advent verses also explore the meaning of Advent and Christmas and the love God has for us. However, whether you are religious or not, these Catholic quotes about Christmas from the Bible and short quotes about Advent can be of some comfort no matter what time or year.
22. "But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons."
- Galatians 4:4-5.
23. "Christmas is fast approaching. And now that Christ has aroused our seasonal expectations, he’ll soon fulfill them all!"
- St. Augustine, 'Sermon 51'.
24. "So the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him."
- John 3:14.
25. "He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord."
- Luke 1: 14-15.
26. "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."
- John 1:14.
27. When it was time for Elizabeth to have her baby, she gave birth to a son. Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her great mercy, and they shared her joy.
- Luke: 1:57-58.
28. "The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him."
- Deuteronomy 18:15.
29. "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times."
- Micah 5:2.
30."May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in your faith, so that in the power of the Holy Spirit you may be rich in hope."
– Romans 15:13.
31. "For this is how God loved the world: he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.”
– John 3:16.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully curated many more family-friendly quotes quotes for all the family to enjoy! If you liked our Advent quotes, then why not take a look at some more Christian quotes, such as these best Christian Easter quotes or perhaps these Christian quotes about love?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.