Ancient Greek genius Archimedes was noted as a mathematician, astronomer, physicist, inventor, and a person who excelled in so many various fields.
He was famous for the invention of measuring the volume of an irregularly shaped object with water which is now known as the Archimedes principle in modern terms. This discovery also led to the coinage of the term "eureka!" which he had exclaimed after discovering this principle in his bathtub.
The famous last words that are attributed to him are, "Do not disturb my circles!" before he was killed by a Roman soldier, he died in 212 BC. If you are looking for some of the most iconic quotes from Archimedes, here is a wholesome list that will greatly inspire you and your friends.
If you like our content on Archimedes quotes, you can check out other articles like, [astronomy quotes], or [Katherine Johnson quotes].
Quotes By Archimedes
Before being killed by a Roman soldier, Archimedes was celebrated for his concepts on weight and Archimedes mathematics were known throughout the Greek world. Are you looking for some thought-provoking Archimedes quotes? This list of Archimedes mathematics quotes including ones about his facts and inventions is simply genius with most being translated directly from Doric Greek.
1. "There are things which seem incredible to most men who have not studied Mathematics."
2. "Man has always learned from the past. After all, you can't learn history in reverse!"
3. "Those who claim to discover everything but produce no proofs of the same may be confuted as having actually pretended to discover the impossible."
4. "Rise above oneself and grasp the world."
5. "Many people believe that the grains of sand are infinite in multitude ...others think that although their number is not without limit, no number can ever be named which will be greater than the number of grains of sand."
6. "Equal weights at equal distances are in equilibrium and equal weights at unequal distances are not in equilibrium but incline towards the weight which is at the greater distance."
-Archimedes' 'Law of the Lever'.
7. "Eureka! (I have found it!)"
8. "Give me a place to stand, and a lever long enough, and I will move the world."
9. "Any solid lighter than a fluid will, if placed in the fluid, be so far immersed that the weight of the solid will be equal to the weight of the fluid displaced."
10. "The perimeter of the earth is about 3,000,000 stadia and not greater."
11. "Two magnitudes whether commensurable or incommensurable, balance at distances reciprocally proportional to the magnitudes."
12. "The diameter of the earth is greater than the diameter of the moon and the diameter of the sun is greater than the diameter of the earth."
13. "Mathematics reveals its secrets only to those who approach it with pure love, for its own beauty."
14. "I am persuaded that this method [for calculating the volume of a sphere] will be of no little service to mathematics. For I foresee that once it is understood and established, it will be used to discover other theorems which have not yet occurred to me, by other mathematicians, now living or yet unborn."
15. "The center of gravity of any parallelogram lies on the straight line joining the middle points of opposite sides."
16. "The center of gravity of any cylinder is the point of bisection of the axis."
17. "How many theorems in geometry which have seemed at first impracticable are in time successfully worked out!"
18. "Noli, obsecro, istum disturbare! (Dont disturb my circles!)"
19. "Fellow, stand away from my diagram."
Famous Quotes About Archimedes
Are you looking for some Archimedes quotes or quotes about him? Here is a list of some of the most revolutionary Archimedes quotes and things that have been said about him by various authors.
20. "Having been the discoverer of many splendid things, he is said to have asked his friends and relations that, after his death, they should place on his tomb a cylinder enclosing a sphere, writing on it the proportion of the containing solid to that which is contained."
- Plutarch, 'Life Of Marcellus'.
21. "He who knows how to speak, knows also when."
22. "It follows at once from the last proposition that the centre of gravity of any triangle is at the intersection of the lines drawn from any two angles to the middle points of the opposite sides respectively."
23. "He was as much enchanted by the rudiments of algebra as he would have been if I had given him an engine worked by steam. Every day he made the discovery of something which seemed to him exquisitely beautiful; the new toy was inexhaustible in its potentialities."
- Aldous Huxley,'Young Archimedes'.
24. "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line."
25. "If thou art able, O stranger, to find out all these things and gather them together in your mind, giving all the relations, thou shalt depart crowned with glory and knowing that thou hast been adjudged perfect in this species of wisdom."
- In a letter to Eratosthenes of Cyrene.
26. "Archimedes will be remembered when Aeschylus is forgotten, because languages die and mathematical ideas do not. “Immortality” may be a silly word, but probably a mathematician has the best chance of whatever it may mean."
- G. H. Hardy, 'A Mathematician's Apology'.
27. "Certain things first became clear to me by a mechanical method, although they had to be demonstrated by geometry afterwards because their investigation by the said method did not furnish an actual demonstration. But it is of course easier...to supply the proof than it is to find it without any previous knowledge."
28. "We have all heard of the puzzle given to Archimedes…. His finding that the crown was of gold was a discovery; but he invented the method of determining the density of solids. Indeed, discoverers must generally be inventors; though inventors are not necessarily discoverers."
— Sir William Ramsay 'How Discoveries Are Made', 'Cassell's Magazine'.
29. "Once a mathematical result is proven to the satisfaction of the discipline, it doesn’t need to be re-evaluated in the light of new evidence or refuted, unless it contains a mistake. If it was true for Archimedes, then it is true today."
— Peter Rowlett, 'The Unplanned Impact Of Mathematics'.
30. "There is an astonishing imagination, even in the science of mathematics…we repeat, there was far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."
—Voltaire, 'A Philosophical Dictionary: From The French'.
31. "Archimedes, who combined a genius for mathematics with a physical insight, must rank with Newton, who lived nearly two thousand years later, as one of the founders of mathematical physics."
-Alfred North Whitehead, 'An Introduction To Mathematics'.
32. "Who would not rather have the fame of Archimedes than that of his conqueror Marcellus?"
— Sir William Rowan Hamilton, Letter, 26 August 1822.
33. "To what heights would science now be raised if Archimedes had made that discovery [of decimal number notation]!"
-Carl Friedrich Gauss, 'Men Of Mathematics'.
34. "Archimedes said Eureka,
Cos in English he weren't too aversed in,
When he discovered that the volume of a body in the bath,
Is equal to the stuff it is immersed in,
That is the law of displacement,
Thats why ships don't sink,
Its a shame he weren't around in 1912,
The Titanic would have made him think."
— Richard Digance, 'Sod’s Law.'
35. "It is to be feared that few who are not experts in the history of mathematics have any acquaintance with the details of the original discoveries in mathematics of the greatest mathematician of antiquity, perhaps the greatest mathematical genius that the world has ever seen."
-Thomas Little Heath, 'Pioneers of Progress, Men Of Science'.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Archimedes quotes then why not take a look at [thought provoking quotes], or ['anything is possible' quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.