While art is the best form of self expression, quotes about making art, creativity quotes, and arty quotes provide creative ideas and inspiration.
Every child has one or the other distinct artistic capability that makes them unique. Quotes about the arts can help them nurture these imaginative ideas.
Art inspires us to create something new and see the world through a different perspective. Whichever age group you may belong to, an aesthetic work of art will calm your eyes and soul and make you appreciate its beauty. But creative quotes and quotes about what art is will motivate you to pick up the canvas and explore your imagination. The most famous artist is always the one who is honest and truthful, and it is never one person, but many. For more quotes, you can look at our [best art quotes for kids] and [painting quotes].
Artistic Quotes About Painting
Here are some painting and drawing quotes including quotes from artists who are famous like Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci, Vincent van Gogh, and more. These kids' art quotes will surely inspire you to create some art right away!
1. “Painting from nature is not copying the object, it's realising one's sensations.”
2. “I started painting as a hobby when I was little. I didn’t know I had any talent. I believe talent is just a pursued interest.”
-Bob Ross, 'PBS' Stroke Of Serenity / Bob Ross Brings Brush Of Zen To 'The Joy Of Painting' By Cathy Hainer.
3. “Why do two colors, put one next to the other, sing? Can one really explain this? No. Just as one can never learn how to paint.”
4. “A painting to me is primarily a verb, not a noun, an event first and only secondarily an image.”
-Elaine de Kooning, 'It Is A Magazine For Abstract Art', 1959.
5. “Painting is concerned with all the 10 attributes of sight; which are: Darkness, Light, Solidity and Colour, Form and Position, Distance and Propinquity, Motion and Rest.”
-Leonardo da Vinci, 'The Notebooks Of Leonardo Da Vinci Volume 2', 2005.
6. “Painting is self-discovery. Every good artist paints what he is.”
-Jackson Pollock, 1956.
7. “A painting requires a little mystery, some vagueness, and some fantasy. When you always make your meaning perfectly plain you end up boring people.”
-Edgar Degas, 'Memories Of Degas', Georges Jeanniot, 1933.
8. “If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.”
-Vincent van Gogh.
9. “All you need to paint is a few tools, a little instruction, and a vision in your mind.”
10. “I do not literally paint that table, but the emotion it produces upon me.”
-Henri Matisse, 'Matisse On Art', 1987.
11. “Painting is a poetry which is seen and not heard, and poetry is a painting which is heard but not seen.”
-Leonardo da Vinci, 'The Paragone', 1651, .
12. “I don’t say everything, but I paint everything.”
-Pablo Picasso, 1966.
13. “If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.”
14. “I dream my painting and then paint my dream”.
-Vincent Van Gogh.
15. “Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.”
Inspirational Quotes About Art And Artists
When a quote about creativity or inspirational art quote comes from an artist, kids will be all the more encouraged to follow their artistic pursuits. So, here are some inspirational quotes for artists that will help them bring their ideas to life.
16. “More important than a work of art itself is what it will sow. Art can die, a painting can disappear. What counts is the seed.”
17. “Artists are just children who refuse to put down their crayons.”
18. “To my mind a picture should be something pleasant, cheerful and pretty. There are too many unpleasant things in life as it is without creating still more of them.”
19. “A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.”
20. “What is commonly called ugliness in nature can in art become full of beauty."
-Auguste Rodin, 'Rodin On Art And Artists', 2012.
21. “When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine.”
22. “The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.”
23. “I don’t paint dreams or nightmares, I paint my own reality.”
24. “What I dream of is an art of balance, of purity and serenity devoid of troubling or depressing subject matter - a soothing, calming influence on the mind, rather like a good armchair which provides relaxation from physical fatigue.”
25. “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
26. “Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.”
27. “The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life.”
28. “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.”
29. “We all know that art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth.”
30. “I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.”
-Georgia O'Keeffe, 1976.
31. “Sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic fear which is inherent in a human situation.”
-Graham Greene, ‘Ways Of Escape’, 1980.
32. “Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.”
-George Bernard Shaw.
33. “What was any art but a mould in which to imprison for a moment the shining elusive element which is life itself - life hurrying past us and running away, too strong to stop, too sweet to lose.”
34. “There are more valid facts and details in works of art than there are in history books.”
-Charlie Chaplin, ‘My Autobiography’, 1964.
35. “Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
36. “An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.”
-James Abbott McNeill Whistler.
37. “Art has the role in education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else.”
-Sydney Gurewitz Clemens.
Art And Creativity Quotes For Kids
Art requires inspiration. These quotes about creativity and art will motivate not only children but grown-ups as well! You can even
38. “Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.”
39. “A true artist is not one who is inspired, but one who inspires others.”
40. “If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery. It wouldn't seem so wonderful at all.”
41. “The painter will produce pictures of little merit if he takes the works of others as his standard.”
-Leonardo da Vinci.
42. “We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.”
-J.K. Rowling during a Harvard commencement speech, 2008.
43. “Logic will take you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
44. “We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves.”
-Julia Cameron, ‘The Artist’s Way Workbook’, 2006.
45. “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
-Scott Adams, ‘The Dilbert Principle’, 1996.
46. “Imagination is more important than knowledge.”
47. “Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together.”
-John Ruskin, ‘The Two Paths’, 1859.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for art quotes for kids then why not take a look at Andy Warhol quotes , or [Henri Matisse quotes].
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.