The first step of being happy in life is to be true to oneself, as said by William Shakespeare.
Accepting yourself and being honest with your feelings in life is a sign of maturity. To be true to yourself really means to respect and love their own self.
A number of well-known people over the generations have advised being true to oneself. Some of them being Henri-Frederic Amiel, Steve Maraboli, Leo Buscaglia, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Steve Jobs, and many others. They have all spoken quotes about being true to yourself in your life. A human being in general finds quotes to be inspiring as it affects their thoughts and opinion. If you're looking for the best quote for you and how can I be true to myself quotes, you're in the right place. Here's a list of quotes and sayings about being yourself and being true to yourself.
If you like this article on be true to yourself quotes, you might also like [be real quotes] and [authenticity quotes]!
Be Yourself Quotes
It is very important for one to be self aware and not be ashamed of who they are. Here's a list of be yourself quotes that will provoke thoughts of being comfortable in themselves:
1. "Be who you were created to be, and you will set the world on fire."
– St. Catherine of Siena.
2. "I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself."
- Rita Mae Brown.
3. "Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner."
- Lao Tzu.
4. "Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it’s simply a way of your own."
- Angelina Jolie.
5. "Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it."
– Bruce Lee.
6. "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind."
– Dr. Seuss.
7. "Find out who you are and do it on purpose."
– Dolly Parton.
8. "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
9. "Don’t worry what people say or what people think. Be yourself."
– Brett Hull.
10. "Some people like you, some people don’t. In the end, you just have to be yourself."
– Andres Iniesta.
11. "It’s just better to be yourself than to try to be some version of what you think the other person wants."
– Matt Damon.
12. "Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself."
- Coco Chanel.
13. "If you can just be yourself, then you have to be original because there’s no one like you."
– Marc Newson.
14. "Don’t try to impress people. Always be yourself."
- Bella Thorne.
15. "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
- Oscar Wilde.
16. "Fearlessly be yourself."
– Anthony Rapp.
17. "I never said to be like me, I say be yourself and make a difference."
- Marilyn Manson.
18. "Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than you are."
– Julius Charles Hare.
19. "Just be yourself, let people see the real, imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful & magical person that you are."
– Mandy Hale.
20. "The essential lesson I've learned in life is to just be yourself."
- Wayne Dyer.
21. "Living in truth with other people means that you refuse to stay in any situation where you are unhappy with the behavior of another person. You refuse to tolerate it. You refuse to compromise."
- Brian Tracy.
22. “Just be yourself, there is no one better.”
– Taylor Swift
Always Be True To Yourself Quotes
Whatever is spoken directly to you by everyone else, you always know the truth about yourself. Here's a list of quotes to inspire you to always be true to yourself.
23. "One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. "
- Michelle Obama.
24. "Always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody says distract you from your goals."
- Michelle Obama.
25. "Overall I think that the most important thing is to have true friends, and always to stay true to yourself."
- Diego Boneta.
26. "Just stay true to yourself and true to what you believe."
27. "This above all; to thine own self be true."
- William Shakespeare.
28. "It's important to stay true to yourself. Have fun with fashion instead of letting it dictate."
- Estella Warren.
29. "It's hard to stay true to yourself and what you want in life when there are so many distractions."
- Hilary Duff.
30. "Always stay true to yourself. Some people will like it, some people won't. Life goes on."
- Carmelo Anthony.
31. "Life is funny. Things change, people change, but you will always be you, so stay true to yourself and never sacrifice who you are for anyone."
- Zayn Malik.
32. "By staying true to yourself, you keep your energy high and clear, and you provide inspirational role modeling for other healers and helpers."
- Doreen Virtue.
33. "You have to stay true to yourself and don't be afraid even though people may say what you're doing isn't cool or isn't right."
- Emma Stone.
34. "I think if you stay true to yourself and keep moving forward, things come around."
- Demi Moore.
35. "Whatever the consequences of staying true to yourself, they're much less than the consequences of selling your soul."
- Carly Fiorina.
36. "Just make sure you're staying true to yourself, and do what you think is good in that craft or field and then let everything else fall where it falls."
- Brian Regan
37. "You always have to stay true to yourself."
- Aerin Lauder.
38. "Stay true to yourself because it goes a long way. If you don't know who you are, who are you really?"
- Brandy Norwood.
39. "Just staying true to yourself and staying true to your passion. Following your gut."
- Brandy Norwood.
40. "Real beauty is to be true to oneself. That's what makes me feel good."
41. "No life is perfect; we all have our problems and issues, and I believe that it's good to be true to who you are."
- Liberty Ross.
42. "If my life wasn't funny, it would just be true, and that's unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher.
43. "Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true."
- Swami Vivekananda.
44. "You can be true to the character all you want but you've got to go home with yourself."
- Julia Roberts.
Best Quotes For Being You
Be yourself quotes are the best, here's a list of such wonderful words spoken by different people on being yourself.
45. "Follow your inner moonlight; don’t hide the madness."
– Allen Ginsberg.
46. "Never dull your shine for somebody else."
- Tyra Banks.
47. “You cannot change what you are, only what you do.”
– Philip Pullman.
48. "Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are."
49. "Just be you, be beautiful and be comfortable in your own skin."
- Helen Edwards.
50. "Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we’ll ever do."
51. "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
- Maya Angelou.
52. "You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."
– Eleanor Roosevelt.
53. "Being yourself is all it takes. If you want to impress someone don’t be someone else just be yourself."
- Selena Gomez.
54. "You’ve been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens."
– Louise Hay.
55. "You don’t need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!"
- John Lennon.
56. "The definition of success changes. Success is to live your life with integrity and not give in to peer pressure to be something you're not. "
- Ellen DeGeneres.
57. "Don't worry about what people say."
- Brett Hull.
58. "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates."
- Thomas Szasz.
59. “Be yourself, don’t take anything from anyone, and never let them take you alive.”
– Gerard Way.
60. "Never follow anyone else's path, unless you're in the woods and you're lost."
- Ellen DeGeneres.
61. "You might not have a car or a big gold chain, stay true to yourself and things will change."
- Snoop Dogg.
62. "Be yourself, who else is better qualified."
- Frank J. Giblin.
63. "Embrace the glorious mess that you are."
– Elizabeth Gilbert.
64. "The thing that is really hard and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning to work on becoming yourself."
– Anna Quindlen.
65. "You have to be true to yourself and remain humble. Whether you win or lose, you've got to treat everyone the same, and be who you are."
- Randy Couture.
66. "Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go do that. Because what the world needs are people who have come alive."
– Howard Thurman.
67. "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."
– André Gide.
68. "You were born an original. Don’t die a copy."
– John Mason.
69. "The freedom to be yourself is a gift only you can give yourself. But once you do, no one can take it away."
– Doe Zantamata.
70. "Everyone wants to belong, or be a part of something bigger than themselves, but it's important to follow your heart and be true to yourself in the process."
- Emily Giffin.
71. "A wise man never loses anything, if he has himself."
- Michel de Montaigne.
Inspiring Quotes To Remain Truthful
Someone might get encouraged to trust their instincts from the words of others. Thus, here is a list of be true to yourself quotes and sayings.
72. "Nothing can be more hurtful to your heart than betraying yourself."
- Roy T. Bennett.
73. "When you fight yourself to discover the real you, there is only one winner."
- Stephen Richards.
74. "Always be a first-rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else."
– Judy Garland.
75. "Regardless of others' reactions, do your best to stay true to yourself. Make the choices that allow you to look in the mirror and feel good about the person gazing back at you."
- Steve Pavlina.
76. "Be congruent. Be authentic. Be your true self."
- Mahatma Gandhi.
77. "When you do something you love, you have a passion for it. It comes naturally. Staying true to yourself and doing what you love keeps you going...everything else falls into place."
- Christian Louboutin.
78. "Stay true to yourself because at the end of the day you can't lie to yourself."
- Patrick Grant.
79. "It's important to stay true to yourself. You have to know your weaknesses and recruit support when and where you need it."
- Jillian Michaels.
80. "Establish who you are, and don't let anybody dress you up or change the way you are, and stay true to yourself."
- Lynn Anderson.
81. "Stay true to yourself and the answer will become clear."
82. "What's important is that you stay true to yourself. Because when you enter the real world, the most valuable thing you can bring is all your you-ness."
- Bo Burnham.
83. "You'll have unflattering pictures posted on the Internet for all to see, so you have to be able to handle yourself and stay true to yourself."
- Katherine Webb.
84. "You have to stay true to yourself and where you're coming from, and sometimes people see you in a different light, but you have to take it in and try to be positive about anything."
- McKayla Maroney.
85. "My number one beauty secret is to stay true to yourself and figure out what works best for your body."
- Adriana Lima.
86. "I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true."
- Abraham Lincoln.
87. "Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature."
- Michael Faraday.
88. "Be brave and clear. Follow your heart and don't be overly influenced by outside factors. Be true to yourself."
- Shirley Temple.
89. "You just have to be true to yourself and do what you love to do."
- Mickie James.
90. "That is the definition of faith - acceptance of that which we imagine to be true, that which we cannot prove."
- Dan Brown.
91. "The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching."
- Dave Chappelle.
92. "Being true to yourself really means being true to all the complexities of the human spirit."
- Rita Dove.
93. "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend."
- John Boyle O'Reilly.
94. "Be true to your heart... put your whole heart and soul into it, and then whatever you do, it will shine through."
- Jamie Brewer.
95. "Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in."
- Louise Brown.
96. "Be true to yourself, help others, make each day your masterpiece, make friendship a fine art, drink deeply from good books..."
- John Wooden.
97. "Being true to yourself means living in truth with each person in your life."
- Brian Tracy.
98. "Have the guts to be true to yourself. Nothing more."
99. "Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself."
- Richard Bach.
100. "Sometimes, being true to yourself means changing your mind. Self changes, and you follow."
- Vera Nazarian.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for be true to yourself then why not take a look at [be present quotes], or [be humble quotes]?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.