Typically, a family tree is named after the family surname it is drawn for, or the three or four family members connected.
When we discuss our ancestors, we talk about our past, our collective struggle as a family; where, how, when, and why we are the way we are in this family. It is our own piece of personal history that helps us to understand our present and future better.
Family trees are made and studied by professionals under the subject of Genealogy. The genealogist traces the family’s lineage by taking interviews, examining historical records, genetic analysis, and other methods of information collection. Family is that identity that stays with you throughout your life and after that too. For some of us, our family name is an integral part of our identity, giving us the code of conduct to follow in our lives. The family name doesn’t define us; it's also a legacy that we carry forward. Whether we are proud of it or consider it a burden, it adds to our identity.
This article will provide quotes about keeping the family together and how to name your family tree. If you like this article, check out [family first quotes] and [funny family quotes] here, after these family tree quotes.
Best Family Tree Quotes
Family is sometimes chosen, like when a couple decides to adopt or become more than friends and just like a family. Family is not only by blood or lineage or marriage, and it can be people who make you feel wanted and loved. Here are some incredible quotes about family history along with family generation quotes.
1. “In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
2. “The informality of family life is a blessed condition that allows us all to become our best while looking our worst.”
- Marge Kennedy.
3. “The family is one of nature’s masterpieces.”
- George Santayana.
4. “The family is the first essential cell of human society.”
- Pope John XXIII.
5. “Stick to the basics, hold on to your family and friends – they will never go out of fashion.”
- Niki Taylor.
6. “Think of your family today and every day thereafter, don’t let the busy world of today keep you from showing how much you love and appreciate your family.”
7. “There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues…are created, strengthened and maintained.”
- Winston Churchill.
8. “We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family.”
9. “The family – that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to.”
- Dodie Smith.
10. “Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.”
- Jane Howard.
11. “To forget one's ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root.”
- Chinese Proverb.
12. “Family faces are magic mirrors. Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future.”
- Gail Lumet Buckley.
13. “In all of us there is a hunger, marrow-deep, to know our heritage, to know who we are and where we came from.”
- Alex Haley.
14. “When your mother asks, ‘Do you want a piece of advice?’ it’s a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway.”
- Erma Bombeck.
15. “Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.”
- George Burns.
16. “I find the family the most mysterious and fascinating institution in the world.”
- Amos Oz.
17. “One of the things that binds us as a family is a shared sense of humour.”
- Ralph Fiennes.
18. “Every man is a moon and has a side which he turns toward nobody: you have to slip around behind it if you want to see it.”
- Mark Twain.
19. “No matter what happens, a family will always have your back.”
20. “The family is one of nature’s masterpieces.”
- George Santayana.
21. “A happy family is but an earlier heaven.”
- George Bernard Shaw.
22. “A family is a risky venture, because the greater the love, the greater the loss… That’s the trade-off. But I’ll take it all.”
- Brad Pitt.
23. “The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, lies in its loyalty to each other.”
- Mario Puzo.
24. “The other night I ate at a real nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going.”
- George Carlin.
Family History Quotes
Families can be demanding, dominating, or pressurizing. And in that case, the children suffer a lot. There could be abandonment issues, too, like in a broken family where the parents decide to part ways as a couple. Here are some more interesting family tree quotes that will highlight the importance of family history.
25. “Family and friends are hidden treasures, seek them out and enjoy their riches.”
- Wanda Hope Carter.
26. “The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only – and that is to support the ultimate career.”
- C.S. Lewis.
27. “There is no such thing as fun for the whole family.”
- Jerry Seinfeld.
28. “That’s what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you’re not so lovable.”
- Deb Caletti.
29. “In time of test, family is best.”
- Burmese Proverb.
30. “I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.”
- Walt Whitman.
31. “Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.”
- George Burns.
32. “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
- Leo Tolstoy.
33. “You are born into your family and your family is born into you. No returns. No exchanges.”
- Elizabeth Berg.
34. “Everyone needs a house to live in, but a supportive family is what builds a home.”
- Anthony Liccione.
35. “Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.”
- Brad Henry.
36. “My greatest pleasure is spending time with my family.”
- Siri Hustvedt.
37. “The greatest moments in life are not concerned with selfish achievements but rather with the things we do for the people we love and esteem.”
- Walt Disney.
38. “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.”
- Desmond Tutu.
39. “Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.”
- Lilo And Stitch.
40. “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.”
- Richard Bach.
41. “The family is the test of freedom; because the family is the only thing that the free man makes for himself and by himself.”
- Gilbert K. Chesterton.
42. “You leave home to seek your fortune and, when you get it, you go home and share it with your family.”
- Anita Baker.
43. “Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.”
- Anthony Brandt.
44. “Family is not an important thing, it’s everything.”
- Michael J. Fox.
45. “Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.”
- David Ogden Stiers.
46. “The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.”
- Lee Iacocca.
47. “Without a family, man, alone in the world, trembles with the cold.”
- Andre Maurois.
48. “Rejoice with your family in the beautiful land of life.”
- Albert Einstein.
49. “Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life.”
- Lisa Weed.
Short Family Tree Quotes
No two family trees can be the same. Every family member resembles a leaf in a family tree and is a part of the family history. Here are some more family trees quotes to be enjoyed with your loved ones.
50. “Every Man is a quotation from all his Ancestors.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
51. “I have a wonderful shelter, which is my family.”
- José Carreras.
52. “I don’t think quantity time is as special as quality time with your family.”
- Reba McEntire.
53. “Family members can be your best friends, you know. And best friends, whether or not they are related to you, can be your family.”
- Trenton Lee Stewart.
54. “At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child, or a parent.”
- Barbara Bush.
55. “The memories we make with our family is everything.”
- Candace Cameron Bure.
56. “My family is my life, and everything else comes second as far as what’s important to me.”
- Michael Imperioli.
57. “It didn’t matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.”
- Peter Buffett.
58. “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.”
- Mother Teresa.
59. “Family is more than blood.”
- Cassandra Clare.
60. “No man has ever lived that had enough of children’s gratitude or woman’s love.”
- William Butler Yeats.
61. “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.”
- Vito Corleone, ‘The Godfather.’
62. “There’s nothing that makes you more insane than family.”
- Jim Butcher.
63. “The most important thing in the world is family and love.”
- John Wooden.
64. “Spare the rod and spoil the child – that is true. But, beside the rod, keep an apple to give him when he has done well.”
- Martin Luther.
65. “A family is one of nature’s solubles; it dissolves in time like salt in rainwater.”
- Pat Conroy.
66. “Families are like branches on a tree. We grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one.”
67. “Home should be an anchor, a port in a storm, a refuge, a happy place in which to dwell, a place where we are loved and where we can love.”
- Marvin J. Ashton.
68. “Family is family.”
- Linda Linney.
69. “You need a strong family because, at the end, they will love you and support you unconditionally.”
- Esha Gupta.
70. “Family is a lifejacket in the stormy sea of life.”
- J.K. Rowling.
71. “Family is a unique gift that needs to be appreciated and treasured, even when they’re driving you crazy. As much as they make you mad, interrupt you, annoy you, curse at you, try to control you, these are the people who know you the best and who love you.”
- Jenna Morasca.
72. “Love your family. Spend time, be kind and serve one another. Make no room for regrets. Tomorrow is not promised & today is short.”
73. “My family is my strength and my weakness.”
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
74. “My friends and family are my support system. They tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear, and they are there for me in the good times and bad times.”
- Kelly Clarkson.
75. “Family isn’t defined only by last names or by blood; it’s defined by commitment and by love.”
- Dave Willis.
76. “The only person you are destined to become, is the person you want to be.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
77. “The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.”
- Thomas Jefferson.
78. “Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.”
79. “Parents were the only ones obligated to love you; from the rest of the world, you had to earn it.”
- Ann Brashares.
Family Tree Quotes And Sayings
A family tree is a unique way to remember the ancestors and the family history. Storytellers love to use a family tree in their stories to explore the family history. Here are some family tree quotes to guide you through your family history.
80. “Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need.”
- Sarah Ban Breathnach.
81. “The best inheritance a parent can give to his children is a few minutes of their time each day.’
- M. Grundler.
82. “The children despise their parents until the age of when they suddenly become just like them - thus preserving the system.”
83. “Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there anymore.”
- Robin Hobb.
84. “We cannot destroy kindred: our chains stretch a little sometimes, but they never break.”
- Marquise De Sevigne.
85. “This was the trouble with families. Like invidious doctors, they knew just where it hurt.”
- Arundhati Roy .
86. “Blood is thicker than water.”
- German Proverb.
87. “What children say, they have heard at home.”
- Wolof, ‘West African On Parenting And Children.’
88. “Charity begins at home.”
- Tobias George Smollett.
89. “The family is the nucleus of civilization.”
- Will Durant.
90. “Many men can make a fortune but very few can build a family.”
- J.S. Bryan.
91. “If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace.”
- Thich Nhat Hanh.
92. “My wife has been my closest friend, my closest advisor. And she’s not somebody who looks to the limelight, or even is wild about me being in politics. And that’s a good reality check on me. When I go home, she wants me to be a good father and a good husband. And everything else is secondary to that.”
- Barack Obama.
93. “After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.”
- Oscar Wilde.
94. “With all my fans I got a family again.”
- Tupac Shakur.
95. “As a child, the family that I had and the love I had from my two parents allowed me to go ahead and be more aggressive, to search and to take risks knowing that, if I failed, I could always come home to a family of love and support.”
- Tiger Woods.
96. “Like all the best families, we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters and of family disagreements.”
- Queen Elizabeth II.
97. “Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life.”
98. “Home is the nicest word there is.”
- Laura Ingalls Wilder.
99. “Family makes a house a home.”
- Jennifer Hudson.
100. “Families are the tie that reminds us of yesterday, provide strength and support today, and give us hope for tomorrow. No government, no matter how well-intentioned, or well-managed, can provide what our families provide.”
- Bill Owens.
101. “My family comes first. That makes every decision very easy.”
- Jada Pinkett Smith.
*Do you know where this quote originates? We'd love to hear from you at email@example.com.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for family tree quotes, then why not take a look at Goddaughter quotes or grandparents quotes.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.