Horses are majestic, fearless, and loyal creatures.
Naming your horse is bound to be special. The name must suit the horse’s temperament and help you to forge a bond with your future equine best friend.
Horse names can be inspired by a range of things, from the color of the coat to their personality. Who has not heard of Black Beauty, the most popular horse name of all time? We have collected names of famous horses across folklore, fiction, and real life that will undoubtedly inspire you.
Famous Horse Names In Mythology
Mythical horses are heroic, and sometimes even monstrous. Often they possess magical powers. Below is a list of horses in mythology and folklore.
1. Alastor, a horse owned by Hades, the Greek god of the Underworld. Alastor was one among the four black horses in Hades’ chariot, the others being Orphaneus, Arthon, and Nycataes.
2. Arion, a winged, immortal horse born to Greek goddess Demeter. This is one of the most famous female horse names.
3. Balius and Xanthus, the pair of immortal horses that the Greek god Poseidon gifted to King Peleus on his marriage to goddess Thetis.
4. Chollima, a mythical horse in Korean and Chinese legend. It is often portrayed as having wings and is known for its swiftness.
5. Glad, a horse named in Norse mythology and in the Eddic poem ‘Grímnismál.
6. Hippocampus, a mythical fish-tailed sea horse in various mythologies, mainly Greek mythology.
7. Hippogriff, winged creatures in Greek mythology that are eagle headed and have a griffin forebody, while having the hind legs of a horse.
8. Hrimfaxi, the horse of goddess Nótt (night) in Norse mythology.
9. Kanthaka, the horse of Prince Siddhartha, later known as Gautama Buddha.
10. Mares Of Diomedes, flesh-eating horses that belonged to King Diomedes of Thrace. These horses were stolen by Heracles as part of his ‘Twelve Labors’.
11. Pegasus, a winged horse famed in Greek mythology that emerged from the blood of Medusa when she was beheaded.
12. Kelpies, a black water horse in Scottish mythology, murderous in nature.
13. Morvarc’h, a black water horse in Breton mythology.
14. Rhaebus, of the Roman king Mezentius.
15. Ros Beiaard, mythical horse of Dendermonde in Belgium, who was said to carry four knights at once.
16. Silili, a good name for a horse, based on the goddess of horses in Babylonian mythology.
17. Sleipnir, a stallion with eight legs in Norse mythology, owned by the god Odin.
18. Sterope, a horse belonging to Greek sun god Helios.
19. Tikbalang, a demonic half-man, half-horse in Philippine mythology.
20. Trojan Horse, the giant wooden horse in the story of the Trojan War, meant to hide several warriors inside it.
21. Tulpar, a legendary winged horse in Turkish mythology, similar to Pegasus.
22. Uchchaihshravas, King of all horses in Hindu mythology. It is portrayed as having seven heads and wings, belonging to Indra, the King of gods.
23. Unicorn, a legendary white horse with a longhorn, appearing in seals of the Indus Valley Civilization, as well as in Greek myths and European folklore.
24. Widow-Maker/Lightning, horse belonging to legendary fictional cowboy ‘Pecos Bill’ of the Old West in America.
Famous Horse Names In History
History has served us several war horses famous for their role in battles. Others became celebrities by association to their owners. Check out this list of popular horses from history.
25. Brooklyn Supreme, a Belgian stallion known for its big size, it was known as the world’s largest horse.
26. Bucephalus, perhaps one of the most well known horses in history. Bucephalus belonged to Alexander the Great who rode him in several battles.
27. Chetak, a war horse that belonged to Maharana Pratap, king of Mewar in Rajasthan, India. Chetak was the horse ridden by the king at the Battle of Haldighati.
28. Copenhagen, a war horse that belonged to the Duke of Wellington, who rode him at the Battle of Waterloo.
29. Gringolet, Sir Gawain’s horse in Arthurian legend.
30. Hengroen, King Arthur’s stallion in Welsh folklore.
31. Incitatus, horse owned by Roman emperor Caligula, who wanted to make the horse a part of the Roman senate.
32. Llamrei, name of the mare belonging to King Arthur in the Welsh tale ‘Culhwch ac Olwen’, one of the earliest Arthurian tales.
33. Marengo, Arabian war horse of Napoleon Bonaparte.
34. Palomo, a white horse belonging to Simon Bolivar, the liberator of Latin America.
35. Sardar, a Pakistani horse gifted to Jacqueline Kennedy, former First Lady of the United States of America.
36. Traveller, General Robert E. Lee’s famous horse, notable for its role in battles of the Civil War.
37. Warrior, thoroughbred horse of General Jack Seely, British politician and Winston Churchill’s friend.
38. Whistlejacket, a stallion racehorse of the Marquess of Rockingham, famous for the oil painting by artist George Stubbs.
Famous Horse Names In Movies
The following is a list of horses in film who have fascinated us, their names are also examples of good horse names that you could take inspiration from
39. Angus, horse belonging to Merida in the Disney animated film ‘Brave’.
40. Arod, horse ridden by Legolas in the epic fantasy movie series ‘The Lord Of The Rings’.
41. Black, the Arabian black stallion from the eponymous film ‘The Black Stallion’. He is named ‘The Black’ by character Alec Ramsey.
42. Brego, horse ridden by Aragorn in the epic fantasy movie series ‘The Lord Of The Rings’.
43. Bullseye, a toy horse in Al’s Roundup collection in ‘Toy Story 2’.
44. Frou Frou, horse form the animated movie ‘Aristocrats’, belonging to Madame Bonfamille.
45. Grace, horse belonging to Grace in the movie ‘The Horse Whisperer’, one of the most famous horse movies.
46. Gulliver, another horse owned by Grace in the movie ‘The Horse Whisperer’. Both Grace and Gulliver get severely injured in the film.
47. Maximus, horse from the animated Disney movie ‘Tangled’.
48. Samdon, pet horse of Prince Phillip in the animated Disney film ‘Sleeping Beauty’. It's a cool idea to choose a horse name from 'Sleeping Beauty'.
49. Shadowfax, also referred to as “Lord of all horses”, this white beast is ridden by Gandalf the White in the movie series ‘The Lord Of The Rings’.
50. Spirit, the title character of the animated film ‘Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron’. Spirit the stallion is captured by U.S. Cavalry during the Indian Wars. Imagine naming your pet after a character from ‘Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron’, pretty cool right?
51. Sprout, Hallie’s horse in the movie ‘The Parent Trap’.
Famous Horses From TV
Whether cartoon or played by real life horses, the following horse characters have remained with us through the years.
52. Argo, Xen’s horse in the TV series ‘Xena: Warrior Princess’.
53. BoJack F. Horseman, half-horse, a half-human character in the animated series ‘BoJack Horseman’.
54. Chestnut, horse featured in the TV series ‘Two Broke Girls’.
55. Coco, Nick Barkley’s horse in the TV show ‘The Big Valley’.
56. Fury, American saddlebred horse in the American western TV series ‘Fury’ that ran in the '50s.
57. Horace Horsecollar, a Walt Disney cartoon character who is an anthropomorphic horse.
58. Mister Ed, talking horse in the American comedy series of the '60s with the same name, played by Palomino horse Bamboo Harvester.
59. Pie-O-My, Ralph Cifaretto’s racehorse in the TV show ‘The Sopranos’.
60. Quick Draw McGraw, an animated cowboy sheriff horse, he is the protagonist of ‘The Quick Draw Mcgraw Show’.
61. Rainbow Dash, a Pegasus pony with a rainbow mane in the animated children’s TV series ‘My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic’.
62. Topper, a horse in the American western comedy TV series ‘Hopalong Cassidy’.
63. Twilight Sparkle, protagonist unicorn of the animated children’s TV series ‘My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic’. This is a great name for a female pony.
Famous Horse Names In Books
From Black Beauty to Flicka from ‘My Friend Flicka’, these horses have enriched literature with their stories.
64. Artax, horse of Atreyu, the main character in the novel ‘The Neverending Story’ by Michael Ende. It's a great idea to choose a horse name from ‘The Neverending Story’.
65. Black Beauty, probably the most famous fictional horse, he is the main character in the autobiographical novel ‘Black Beauty’. Black Beauty is one of the most loved horse names.
66. Blackjack, the black Pegasus of Percy Jackson in the ‘Percy Jackson And The Olympians’ series by Rick Riordan.
67. Bree Hee Hinny Brinny Hoohy Hah, the talking horse in ‘The Chronicles Of Narnia’ by C.S. Lewis. A great name for a big horse.
68. Cadoc, Eragon’s first horse in the high fantasy novel series ‘Eragon’ by author Christopher Paolini.
69. Flicka, horse in the '40s novel and film ‘My Friend Flicka’, raised by 10-year-old boy Ken.
70. Rakhsh, horse of Rostam in the Persian epic ‘Shahnameh’.
71. Silver Blaze, horse of Sherlock Holmes, featuring in a short story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
72. Smiler, war horse of Theon Greyjoy in the high fantasy novel series ‘A Song Of Ice And Fire’.
73. Talat, horse of heroine Aerin in the fantasy novel ‘The Hero And The Crown’ by Robin McKinley.
74. Tug, a gray horse in the novel series ‘Ranger’s Apprentice’, belonging to Will Treaty.
Famous Horse Names in Comics
Often seen as supporting characters, horses have played a part in comics too. Here are some horse names in comics we have rounded up for you.
75. Billy Boy, horse of title character Bamse, who is a brown bear in the Swedish comic ‘Bamse’.
76. Comet, pet horse of Supergirl with magical abilities, from DC Comics.
77. Hero, white stallion of the Phantom from the comics ‘The Phantom’. One of the most famous white horse names.
78. Hortense, Scrooge McDuck’s horse in the Disney comics ‘The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck’.
79. Jolly Jumper, a horse in the Belgian comics ‘Lucky Luke’, known as the smartest horse in the world. One of the famous jumping horses.
80. Nightmare, a ghost horse who appears in the comics ‘Casper The Friendly Ghost’.
81. Ruby, horse belonging to Jerry from the ‘Jerry Spring’ comics.
82. Spark Plug, horse of Barney Google in the American comic strip ‘Barney Google And Snuffy Smith’.
83. Thunder, a steed in the long running Western comic strip ‘Red Ryder’.
Famous Horse Names in Songs
It is not so rare that horses make an appearance in songs. Here are a few such examples.
84. Henry The Horse, from The Beatles’ song ‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!’.
85. Paul Revere, from the eponymous song by the American band ‘Beastie Boys’, where the singer mentions riding a horse called Paul Revere.
86. Tennessee Stud, from the eponymous song by Jimmy Driftwood.
Famous Race Horse Names
The following are some racehorses who entered the racing halls of fame, won awards, and broke records.
87. American Pharoah, a thoroughbred racehorse, owned by Ahmed Zayat. American Pharoah won the American Triple Crown in 2015.
88. Black Caviar, Australian thoroughbred racehorse, who was named world champion in the years 2010 to 2013.
89. Eclipse, an undefeated eighteenth century racehorse from Great Britain. A cool name for a black stallion.
90. Flying Fox, a great horse name for a swift horse. Flying Fox was owned by the first Duke of Westminster. This horse won the English Triple crown in the Victorian era.
91. Frankel, a retired bay horse who won 14 races. He is among the world’s top ranked racehorses.
92. Justify, an American thoroughbred racehorse who won the Triple Crown races in 2018.
93. Makybe Diva, a British thoroughbred horse who is ranked among the top mares in the world.
94. Man O’ War, nicknamed ‘Big Red’, this American thoroughbred racehorse is considered to be the greatest horse of the twentieth century.
95. Phar Lap, a Thai name meaning “lightning”. Phar Lap was a thoroughbred horse from Australia during the Great Depression years.
96. Red Rum, a steeplechase horse who won the Grand National three times in the '70s.
97. Sea The Stars, an Irish thoroughbred racehorse who won the 2000 Guineas.
98. Seabiscuit, voted ‘American Horse of the Year’ in 1939, this champion racehorse has a rich legacy in popular culture. One of the most famous western horse names.
99. Seattle Slew, he won the Triple Crown in 1977, becoming its tenth winner.
100. Secretariat, one of the most well known racehorses of all time and a Triple Crown winner, his performances are widely cherished.
101. Winx, Australian champion mare named in the world’s best racehorse rankings.
102. Zenyatta, a retired racehorse, she had a 20 race career in which she only lost one race.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for famous horse names, then have a look at something different, like these female horse names or these funny horse names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.