According to western culture, Friday the 13th is believed to be a very unlucky day.
'Paraskevidekatriaphobia' is the term used to define the fear of this day. The number 13 is considered an unlucky number in many countries.
According to the Georgian calendar, Friday 13th is the most ill-fated day of the year. The tale originated in Norse mythology when 12 gods were having dinner in Valhalla. Loki, the trickster god, who was not invited, arrived at the supper as the 13th guest. He made Höðr shoot Balder with a mistletoe-tipped arrow. The whole Earth became dark and mourned Balder's death. Since then, the day is considered to be an unlucky day.
According to some people, the fear of Friday 13th is linked with the last supper and has a biblical origin; there were 13 guests at the last supper before Jesus's crucifixion. Other people say it's nothing more than a superstition. Many people believe this day to be so unfortunate that they avoid doing their everyday routines like going to the office and doing business, traveling, driving, and taking flights. Some even avoid getting out of their bed due to the fear caused by this day.
To raise awareness about the number 13 and the hysteria surrounding it, a secret society named 'The Thirteen Club' was founded in 1890. 13 group members would regularly dine on the 13th day of every month in room number 13 and eat a 13-course meal. Before sitting down for dinner, the group members would pass under a ladder which held a banner that stated "Morituri te salutamus," which roughly translates to "those of us who are about to die, salute you." in Latin.
There are some ghostly video games and horror movies based on Friday the 13th that have become popular. Here we have prepared a list of jokes and puns for you that will lighten the mood and hopefully reduce the fear surrounding Friday the 13th.
Friday 13th Jokes
Funny Friday the 13th jokes will make you giggle. Here we have compiled a list of jokes to wish you a happy Friday the 13th.
1. Which pasta dish do Italian people eat on Friday the 13th? Fettuccini Afraid-o.
2. What's way worse than Friday the 13th? Monday the whatever.
3. What's more frightening than "Today is Friday the 13th"? 1st of every month, when rent is due.
4. Killers eagerly look forward to which day of the month? Fri-Die the 13th.
5. Why is Fright Day the 13th is a great day to be cherished? Because no one was struck by lightning on Thor's Day the 12th!
6. If a monster's working week begins on a Moan Day, when does it end? On a Fright day.
Funniest Friday Jokes
Funny Friday the 13th quotes filled with Friday 13th humor are great for people who want to wish someone a happy Friday 13th. Here are some funny Friday one-liners inspired by Halloween jokes.
7. Why did the skeleton not want to go to the Friday the 13th dance party? He had no-body to go with.
8. Why did the skeleton not go and see a scary movie with his friends on Friday the 13th? He didn't have the guts.
9. What costumes do ghosts wear for a Friday the 13th dance party? BOO jeans.
10. Which key opens the door to a haunted house? A spoo-key!
11. When is it considered unlucky to see a black cat? When you are a mouse.
12. What do you think a ghost keeps in its stable? Night-mares.
13. Where do ghosts go for rides on Friday the 13th? They ride in elevators; it raises their spirits!
14. What did the ghost eat on a special Friday 13th lunch? He had some spook-eti.
15. Why could the mummy not go out on Friday the 13th? Because he was all wound up.
Bad Luck Jokes
Black cats and broken mirrors are often linked to bad luck. Here is a list of black cat jokes and broken mirror jokes.
16. Why was the black cat feeling grouchy on the 13th of Friday? She was in a very bad meowd.
17. What is a black cat's favorite game? Hide and shriek!
18. Why was the black cat given the musical gig for the Friday 13th dance party? Because she was very meow-sical.
19. How was the black cat feeling on Friday the 13th? Purr-fectly happy.
20. Why do people believe that black cats always get their way with people? They say that the cat uses friendly purr-suation for manipulation.
21. What will you call it when you are terrified on Friday the 13th, and all of a sudden, you witness an act of God in a mirror? A mirror'cle.
22. How do you distinguish between a black cat and a frog? They say a black cat has nine lives, and the frog croaks every night.
Knock Knock Jokes
Friday the 13th jokes will lighten up anyone's mood. Here is a list of Friday the 13th Friday knock-knock jokes.
23. Knock knock!
Ice cream who?
Ice-cream, you scream, we all scream because it's Friday Thirteenth.
24. Knock knock.
Who is there?
Voodoo you think you are, who gave you the right to ask me so many questions?
25. Knock knock.
Who is there?
Bee-ware, the criminal is out. It's Friday the Thirteenth!
26. Knock knock.
Who is there?
Norma Lee, who?
Normally, I won't ask this, but witches the way to the haunted cemetery?
27. Knock Knock!
Yule know when you look out the door.
Jason Voorhees Jokes
Jason Voorhees from 'Friday the 13th' film series is a popular scary fictional figure. Here is a list of Jason jokes about Friday the 13th.
28. Do you know what Jason Voorhee's favorite desert is? It's I-scream.
29. Jason Voorhees loves eating beans; do you know his favorite bean? A human bean.
30. What will you say if Jason Voorhees starts chasing you? Please, stop Jason me.
31. What will be the result if you cross Jason Voorhees with a box of breakfast cereals? A cereal killer.
32. What happens when Jason Voorhees tells a joke? It kills.
Freddy Krueger Puns
How can we not mention Freddy Krueger when talking about the fear surrounding Friday? The character of Freddy Krueger from 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' film series is a terrifying yet popular fictional figure. Here are some puns inspired by this iconic character.
33. There's a new serial killer in town who works at the bakery. They call him Bready Kruger.
34. Freddy Krueger was wearing a hat as he ran out of scare spray.
35. According to Freddy Krueger, it's best to visit a tailor on Friday the 13th, because they are very super-stitchious.
36. Freddy Krueger got a job offer to clean mirrors. He took it because it's something he can see himself doing.
37. A set of twin witches chasing you on Friday 13th is worse than being chased by Freddy Krueger because you never know witch is which.
Friday The 13th Puns
These Friday the 13th one-liners will give you a good dose of entertainment. Once you check out this list of Friday the 13th puns, we're sure you will find at least one Friday the 13th pun to love which is filled with Friday the 13th humor.
38. The cops arrested a black cat on Friday the 13th; they said she was a purr-patrator.
39. At the Friday 13th dance party, the black cat saw her rival fish and said, "I have a bone to pick with you."
40. The black cat wore her favorite dress for the costume party on Friday 13th; she wore a purrr-ple gown.
41. The black cat did all her laundry and hung them on a fe-line to dry.
42. The witches' black cat fell off the broom while flying; it was cat-astrophic.
43. While trying a new magic spell, the witch crossed a black cat and an oak tree. The result was a black and white cat-a-log'ue.
44. To break the stigma surrounding black cats being a bad omen, the cat joined the red cross society and became a first aid kit-ten and started helping mankind.
45. 'Kruegers a jolly good fellow, Voorhees a jolly good fellow' is the most popular song among witches and spirits to sing on Friday the 13th.
46. A coven of witches lost their way, so they had to take a stranger's help. They asked him, "witch way to the Friday 13th dance party?"
47. The coven leader threw a grand party on Friday the 13th. "This is the way to party when you are witch and famous," she announced.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of great family-friendly jokes and puns for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 40+ Friday the 13th Jokes, then why not take a look at 100+ Best Halloween Puns That Are Scarily Good or Witch Puns and Jokes.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.