The affection in our hearts for all the lovely people in our life fills us with joy.
Choosing cute and affectionate names for people we love helps to cement bonds. A term of endearment is a phrase or word used to describe our loved ones and German terms of endearment are so sweet that they are used by people all around the world.
Family and friends are little treasures, they deserve all of your love and a great pet name. But choosing a cute pet name can be a difficult task at times. Choosing the best term of endearment for your loved ones can take a lot of effort if you want to be sure of the background of the name, its origin and the meaning of the name.
That's where we come in! A German term of endearment is perfect for showing your love. From Schatzi meaning "sweetheart" to Pikkolo or Kind meaning "baby", we have put together some of the most popular German terms of endearment for those who you love.
German Pet Names For Boys
Looking for a sweet German name for your boy to be known by at home. You can choose from the following list of German pet names.
1. Bärchen (berchen) It means "lovable like a teddy bear". The name is perfect for your little bear.
2. Champ is a sweet name for a child. It means "champion".
3. Beau (bo) means a "person that is very beautiful". This German name is prevalent in many countries.
4. Hörnchen is a sweet name. It means "as sweet as a croissant".
5. Honigkuchenpferd (honikkuchenferd) The sweet name means "someone who is full of luck".
6. Grinsebär (grinseber) means "smiling like a bear". This name is adorable.
German Pet Names For Girls
You may want to find graceful German names for your daughters or sisters. Here are the best German terms of endearment for lovely girls in your life.
7. Mausi means “little mouse”. You can use this sweet name for your charming mother, daughter or sister but we think it suits children best.
8. Augenweide this name means "beautiful and gracious".
9. Dornröschen (dornroeschen) is the equivalent to "sleeping beauty" in German.
10. Allerliebste, when you use this cute name, you are simply saying that your little girl is the best.
11. Pocahontas is a term used to compare a girl to the famous beauty in German.
12. Perle, the name beautifully draws comparison to a pearl.
13. Blume compares a pretty girl to a flower. You might want to call your daughter this adorable pet name.
14. Babe is a common favorite pet name among Germans. It is used to describe a sweet baby.
Unisex Nicknames In German
Sometimes you might not just want to choose from gendered nicknames for your near and dear ones. You can choose from these nicknames which are suitable for both boys and girls. You can even use Säugling, Kleine, as they mean baby in English.
15. Schatz means "treasure ". You can use this to show that you treasure your family and friends.
16. Liebling is the second most popular nickname after Schatz, means "darling".
17. Herzblatt (hertzblat), another name that is widespread in Germany, it means "sweetheart".
18. Sonnenschein refers to "sunshine". If your loved one has brought happiness and sunshine in your life, then you might find this to be the perfect name..
19. Engel means "angel", perfect for a heavenly child.
20. Juwel (djuel) means "gem". You may use this German name to express your feelings towards your children who are your little gems.
Kidadl has lots of great name articles to inspire you. If you liked our list of German pet names then why not take a look at some girl names with boy nicknames, or for something different take a look at these hipster boy names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.