Humility is important for every human being because it teaches us to accept ourselves and our flaws, and become trustworthy and likeable to those around us.
Not just that, humility makes us open to criticisms. It helps us to shun our ego and self-centeredness so that we can learn and grow, both intellectually and emotionally.
The Holy Bible, too, upholds the virtue of humility and says that pride brings disgrace but humility brings wisdom. Further, it also says that God gives grace to the humble and opposes those that are proud. But irrespective of your faith, humility is a quality that you can cultivate for your personal transformation and growth. Practicing humility is a continuous and everyday process that magnifies positive traits like kindness, generosity, and integrity. It is important as it allows us to ground ourselves and be grateful for all the good in our life. Here we have over 60 beautiful inspiring life quotes that will help you practice and develop the wonderful trait of humility.
If you like this content, then do check out our [be nice quotes] and [be present quotes].
Famous Quotes About Being Humble
These 'stay humble' quotes below will teach you what it means to show kindness and humility. We think you'll find many of these motivational, too.
1. “Humility, gentleness, and helpfulness go so much further and open doors you cannot imagine.”
2. “An intelligent person is never afraid or ashamed to find errors in their understanding of things.”
-Bryant H. McGill.
3. “Humility and knowledge in poor clothes excel pride and ignorance in costly attire.”
4. "I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second is frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others."
5. “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
6. “Sports are such a great teacher. I think of everything they’ve taught me: camaraderie, humility, how to resolve differences.”
7. “It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.”
8. “Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues.”
9. "Sometimes it takes humiliation to teach us the value of humility."
10. "Where there is humility, there is more success, and lasting success."
11. " A humble person is totally different from a person who cannot recognize and appreciate himself as part of this worlds’ marvels."
-Rabino Nilton Bonder.
12. "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less."
13. "If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are."
14. "Pride makes us artificial; humility makes us real."
15. "If you want to govern the people, you must place yourself below them. If you want to lead the people, you must learn how to follow them."
16. "All streams flow to the sea because it is lower than they are. Humility gives it its power."
17. "I believe the first test of a truly great man is his humility."
18. "He that places himself neither higher nor lower than he ought to do exercises the truest humility."
-Charles Caleb Colton.
Insightful 'Be Humble' Quotes
Check out some of the best and most motivational humility quotes below with messages that you can implement in real life.
19. "Stay hungry, stay young, stay foolish, stay curious, and above all, stay humble because just when you think you got all the answers, is the moment when some bitter twist of fate in the universe will remind you that you very much don’t."
20. "Humility is really important because it keeps you fresh and new."
21. "Humility is nothing but truth, and pride is nothing but lying."
-St. Vincent De Paul.
22. “There is no respect for others without humility in one’s self.”
23. "A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being."
-James E. Faust.
24. "The moment that humility becomes self-conscious, it becomes hubris. One cannot be humble and aware of oneself at the same time."
25. "A great man is always willing to be little."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson.
26. “Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.”
27. "Humility is the key to moral excellence."
-Venerable Master Hsin Yun.
28. “Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change.”
-Frank Lloyd Wright.
29. "The truth is no matter how smart, successful, good-looking you are, nobody likes a boastful person. Nobody likes arrogance or cockiness. So make a conscious effort to stay humble always."
30. “Have more humility. Remember you don't know the limits of your own abilities. Successful or not, if you keep pushing beyond yourself, you will enrich your own life – and maybe even please a few strangers.”
-A. L. Kennedy.
31. "I always say be humble but be firm. Humility and openness are the key to success without compromising your beliefs."
32. “Real genius is nothing else but the supernatural virtue of humility in the domain of thought.”
33. "Life is a long lesson in humility."
-James M. Barrie.
34. “Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
35. "Humility, that low, sweet root
From which all heavenly virtues shoot."
36. "The greatest friend of truth is Time, her greatest enemy is Prejudice, and her constant companion is Humility."
-Charles Caleb Colton.
37. "Many people believe that humility is the opposite of pride, when, in fact, it is a point of equilibrium. The opposite of pride is actually a lack of self-esteem."
-Rabino Nilton Bonder.
38. "Selflessness is humility...humility and freedom go hand in hand. Only a humble person can be free."
39. "Humble people share the credit and wealth, remaining focused and hungry to continue the journey of success."
40. "Remember that there is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self."
-W. L. Sheldon.
41. "Successful people lose their way at times. They often embrace and overindulge from the fruits of success. Humility halts this arrogance and self-indulging trap."
42. "True humility is being able to accept criticisms as graciously as we accept compliments."
43. "Humility is the true key to success."
44. "The best of people is the one who humbles himself the more his rank increases."
45. “'Thank you' is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.”
Religion Quotes About Humility
Here is a compilation of the best humility quotes with religious references.
46. "An angel fell from Heaven without any other passion except pride, and so we may ask whether it is possible to ascend to Heaven by humility alone, without any other of the virtues."
47. “As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on thing and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down you cannot see something that is above you.”
-C. S. Lewis.
48. “It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.”
49. "Only a person who has passed through the gate of humility can ascend to the heights of the spirit."
50. “True humility-the basis of the Christian system-is the low but deep and firm foundation of all virtues.”
51. “The only humility that is really ours is not that which we try to show before God in prayer, but that which we carry with us, and carry out, in our ordinary conduct..."
52. "A Christian reveals true humility by showing the gentleness of Christ, by being always ready to help others, by speaking kind words and performing unselfish acts, which elevate and ennoble the most sacred message that has come to our world."
-Ellen G. White.
53. “The world tells us to seek success, power and money; God tells us to seek humility, service and love.”
54. "True humility is not an abject, groveling, self-despising spirit ; it is but a right estimate of ourselves as God sees us."
Witty And Funny Humility Quotes
Humility quotes need not always sound dull and preachy. These witty quotes here to prove just that!
55. "On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom."
-Michel de Montaigne.
56. "He was like a cock who thought the sun had risen to hear him crow."
57. "If only I had a little humility, I would be perfect."
58. "Flattery is all right so long as you don't inhale."
59. "The advantage of doing one's praising to oneself is that one can lay it on so thick and exactly in the right places."
60. "Don't talk about yourself; it will be done when you leave."
61. "Any party which takes credit for the rain must not be surprised if its opponents blame it for the drought."
62. "A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for humility quotes then why not take a look at our be bold quotes, or be fearless quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.