Mystical, magical creatures having unbelievable capabilities, ice dragons are those fascinating beings that amuse one and all.
Whether you're a fan or not, we all have heard of the huge dragons in 'Game Of Thrones.' Unlike those dragons, the unique ice dragon is a beast that breathes cold instead of fire that can freeze a human to death in less than a second.
While the fire breathing dragons play a major role in the series, the ice dragon Viserion is not a recurrent theme as it comes to life only in the seventh season. Possessing unimaginable power, the blue-eyed ice dragons are way larger than the usual fire killing dragons of Valyria. Born out of ice, these crystalline white creatures are said to have translucent wings from which the moon, stars and galaxies can be glimpsed through, as they use their wings to soar up fearlessly in the skies. Though details about the fantastical creature are mentioned in the book of 'A Song Of Ice And Fire' by George RR Martin, you can also find them in his 1980 novel 'Ice Dragon' as well as in the world of Westeros.
Just as bold as the name 'Viserion', these cool ice dragon names that indicate fierceness and strength are beautiful options to use either for your upcoming fantasy novel, your Dungeons & Dragons campaign, or even for your child.
Ice Dragon Names That Mean Cold
Denoting everything related to cold and icy snow, these dragon names from across the world are some of the best choices according to us to use for your novella.
1. Blizzard-(American origin) this name means "snowstorm".
2. Chilalea - (American origin), this is one of the names that mean "snowbird."
3. Eisdrachen- (German origin) this is among few of the names that mean "ice dragon",eis+ Drachen.
4. Eirwen- (Welsh origin) this means "blessed snow".
5. Etoirir- An apt choice, this means "champion of the blue".
6. Frostine -(French origin)A great female name even for your baby this French name means " ice queen".
7. Lodsmok- This is another name of polish origin which translates to "ice dragon".
8. Nieves- Of Spanish origin, this means "Our lady of snows."
9. Sarmite- If you are looking for super unique names, this Latvian region works best; this means "frost".
10. Stribog- Meaning "flowing God', in Slavic mythology he is the god of ice, snow and frost.
11. Snowstorm- Meaning "heavy fall of snow along with wind" this is a prevalent choice among these kinds of names.
12. Valkoinen- (Finnish origin) This ice dragon name means "white".
13. Watatsumi- (Japanese Origin) Get your dragons named after Japanese mythology, this is a historical Japanese ice dragon name given after a water deity.
14. Yukiharu- (Japanese origin) One of the popular Japanese ice dragon names, this means "Snow ruler".
15. Yukina- (Japanese origin) name means "snow flower."
Common Ice Dragon Names
The legend of dragons belongs to many different cultures, and hence you may find these frost dragon names having varied definitions. Hopefully this list will serve as a good inspiration while you are on your search to find the perfect type of names for the ice dragons present in your novel.
(There are stories of Ice Dragons from all cultures across the globe.)
16. Absinthe- One of the female ice dragon names, it means "wormwood" or "bitterness."
17. Apophis - (Greek origin) This dragon name comes from Greek; it means "to slither."
18. Cadmus- (Greek origin) names, this would make the right name even for your baby, it means "dragon teeth."
19. Daenerys- (Welsh origin) A brilliant name for your ice dragons, this Welsh name means "lady of light" and is also featured in 'Game Of Thrones.'
20. Draco- (Italian origin) Originating from Italy this is a common choice for naming your dragons, it means "one who is like a serpent".
21. Kaida- (Japanese origin) Of the many Japanese origin names this is usually given to females, it means "looks like a little dragon."
22. Longwei- (Chinese origin)This Chinese name means "dragon greatness".
23. Ladon- (Greek origin) You get this name from Greek; he is considered to be the "god of the rivers."
24. Melinda- (Greek origin) You may be searching for feminine names; this Greek one is among the best; it means "sweet or dark serpent."
25. Nidhogg - (German origin) Just like many other names in this list, this means "powerful" which will perfectly suit your blue-eyed magical creature.
26. Ophiuchus- (Greek origin)This ice dragon name means who is a "serpent bearer".
27. Pachua- Part of the Hobi tribe, this refers to a type of "feathered water snake".
28. Pedragon- (Spanish origin) Mostly used for male dragons, this Spanish originating name means "chief dragon".
29. Saphira- (Hebrew origin) This is one of the superbly good ice dragon names of Hebrew ancestry, which exactly translates to "bright scales".
30. Shyrnolay- This unique name signifies "destroyer of life".
31. Tiamat- (Babylonian origin), it means "mother of life",
32. Tanwen -(Welsh origin) A search shows that this name means "white fire".
33. Tatsuya-(Japanese origin), this means "sign of the master, to be".
34. Vritra-(Indian origin) this female name represents "drought".
35. Zysyss -This gorgeous name means "the eternal one".
Cute Dragon Names For Your Fiery Little One
Get inspired from our below list of names that may help you come up with the perfect option for your ferocious baby.
36. Aidan- (Irish origin) this means "little fire" ideal for your mini monster.
37. Arrow -(English origin) means "dragon slayer".
38. Blaze- Translating to "fire" it is perfect for your naughty fire-breather.
39. Dalida- (Polish origin) This is one of the sweet-sounding Polish names among dragons which will come in handy while naming your ferocious goofball, it means "noble serpent".
40. Egan- (Irish origin) means "fireball".
41. Knucker- (English origin) Meaning "water monster".
42. Libelle- (German origin) This is one of the names that means "dragonfly".
43. Ryu- (Japanese origin) names, this is a real firecracker, it means "dragon".
44. Scylla- (Greek origin) names also relates to the bold and humongous being, it means "monster".
45. Tyson- (french origin) This unique French name means "firebrand".
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.