Being the first month of the new year, there are a lot of expectations riding on January. People want their new year to be great with that famous fresh January start.
Whilst some people say that January is the worst month as it brings us all back down to earth with a bump after the joys and excitement of the holiday period, others are more optimistic. On New Year's Eve, we are usually really excited and are set to make plans for the incoming year. New Year mornings in January feel like the best time to begin planning all that we have ever wanted from the year, and this is also usually the time when we make resolutions. Whether we will stick to them or not is another matter!
January is a beautiful month, but we can find it difficult because of all the expectations we put on ourselves. Some even say that this first month feels like the Monday of the year! You could say some dread it. That is why it is important to keep ourselves balanced and see January for what it is, just a fresh month: it can be magical. The cold weather and the blanket of ice that sometimes fall outside in January make us crave the warmth inside our cozy little nooks. It is such a beautiful month and a beautiful beginning to the year.
We have collected lots of beautiful and inspiring January quotes for you to go through. If you liked reading this list of the best quotes about January, you can also check out these August quotes and [New Year funniest quotes] too.
The Best Quotes About January
Below, you will find some of the best quotes about January all about the happy new year.
1. "January is the month for dreaming."
- Jean Hersey.
2. "The beginning is the most important part of the work."
3. "An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves."
- Bill Vaughn.
4. "I love beginnings. If I were in charge of calendars, every day would be January 1."
- Jerry Spinelli.
5. "The magic in new beginnings is the most powerful of them all."
- Josiyah Martin.
6. "January is the calendar’s ingrown hair."
- Stewart Stafford.
7. "January, month of empty pockets!"
- Sidonie Gabrielle Colette.
8. "Lots of people go mad in January. January is the third most common month for madness."
- Karen Joy Fowler, 'Sarah Canary'.
9. "January? The month is dumb. It is fraudulent. It does not cleanse itself."
- Anne Sexton.
10. "I like starting projects in January. That’s the best time to start something. It’s so inward."
- Carolyn Chute.
11. "The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul."
- G. K. Chesterton.
12. "There's something I love about how stark the contrast is between January and June in Sweden."
- Bill Skarsgard.
13. "New Year's Day. A fresh start. A new chapter waiting to be written."
- Sarah Ban Breathnach.
14. "If I had my way, I'd remove January from the calendar altogether and have an extra July instead."
- Roald Dahl.
15. "Let January open with the joy in the Lord, and December close with gladness in Jesus."
- Charles H. Spurgeon.
16. "January is the Monday of months."
17. "January is the garbage can of movies in America, directly after all the Oscar contenders have been out."
- Michael Caine.
18. "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right."
- Oprah Winfrey.
19. "The shortest day has passed, and whatever nastiness of weather we may look forward to in January and February, at least we notice that the days are getting longer."
- Vita Sackville-West.
January Inspirational Quotes
Here, you will read some inspirational quotes for January that can get you inspired.
20. "I think it would be more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second."
- Helen Fielding.
21. "Treat every day like it's a new year because it is."
- Temitope Ibrahim.
22. "Nothing burns like the cold."
- George R.R. Martin.
23. "New year—new verse, a new chapter, or just the same old story? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours."
- Alex Morritt.
24. "January is the best time of year for gym owners. You all come. It's great! And then, by Valentine's Day, you're not coming in anymore."
- David Kirsch.
25. "I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's."
- Henry Moore.
26. "No one ever regarded the first of January with indifference."
- Charles Lamb.
27. "January looks forward to the new year and back to the old year. He sees past and future."
- M. L. Stedman.
28. "No one has ever achieved financial fitness with a resolution in January that's abandoned by February."
- Suze Orman.
29. "Feeling a little blue in January is normal."
- Marilu Henner.
30. "If January is the month of change, February is the month of lasting change. January is for dreamers... February is for doers."
- Marc Parent.
31. "Every man should be born again on January first. Start with a fresh page."
- Henry Ward Beecher.
January Quotes About Winter
Here, you can read some quotes that welcome the season and let us acknowledge that new beginnings are beautiful.
32. "Winter blues are cured every time with a potato gratin paired with a roast chicken."
- Alexandra Guarnaschelli.
33. "It is deep January. The sky is hard. The stalks are firmly rooted in ice."
- Wallace Stevens.
34. "That grand old poem called Winter."
- Henry David Thoreau.
35. "Nature has undoubtedly mastered the art of winter gardening and even the most experienced gardener can learn from the unrestrained beauty around them."
- Vincent A. Simeone.
36. "January is the quietest month in the garden… But just because it looks quiet doesn’t mean that nothing is happening."
– Rosalie Muller Wright.
37. "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus.
38. "Winter dawn is the color of metal, the trees stiffen into place like burnt nerves."
- Sylvia Plath.
39. "I killed my ex-lovers and buried to my memories' grave. It is January and I am tired of being brave."
- Arzum Uzun.
40. "Through the chill of December the early winter moans... but it's that January wind that rattles old bones."
- John Facenda.
Beautiful January Quotes
These are some of the most poetic quotes you will find for the month of January.
41. "I blink January’s lashes and gush down December’s cheeks."
- Sanober Khan, 'Turquoise Silence'.
42. "January brings the snow, makes our feet and fingers glow."
- Sara Coleridge.
43. "To read a poem in January is as lovely as to go for a walk in June."
- Jean Paul.
44. "I love the Mediterranean for the fact that winter is over in a minute, and the almond blossom arrives in January."
- Jade Jagger.
45. "January is my favorite month, when the light is plainest, least colored. And I like the feeling of beginnings."
- Anne Truitt.
46. "Married when the year is new, he will be loving, kind and true... Married in January’s roar and rime, widowed you’ll be before your prime."
- New Zealand proverb.
47. "Somewhere along the way, I realized that the new year doesn't begin for me in January."
- Betsy Cañas Garmon.
48. "Leaving a bookstore is hard, especially on a day in January, when the ice is treacherous, the wind is blowing, and the books inside seem to gather together in colorful warmth."
- Jane Smiley.
49. "January 26th. The day when nothing remarkable happens to anyone else."
- Ashley Newell, 'Freakhouse'.
50. "January is here, with eyes that keenly glow, a frost-mailed warrior striding a shadowy steed of snow."
– Edgar Fawcett.
51. "There are two seasonal diversions that can ease the bite of any winter. One is the January thaw. The other is the seed catalogs."
- Hal Borland.
52. "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for January quotes, why not look at these funny snow quotes or [January birthday quotes] too?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.