Jesters were historically regarded as entertainers during the medieval and Renaissance periods.
The term 'jester', however, only came to be used during the Tudor period of the mid-16th century. In the past they were employed by noblemen and monarchs to entertain guests, but they continue to perform today at various fairs, town markets and historically themed events.
The word is of French origin, derived from 'gestour' or 'jestour' which means "storyteller". Other names used to represent a jester are 'fool' and 'clown'. Other European terms which represent a jester include 'fol', 'mimus', 'truhan' and 'sot', to name a few. Female jesters don't go by a different name as there is such little known about them. For example, Jane Foole is the only known female court jester in history.
The royal jester often dressed eccentrically and was skilled in a variety of areas enabling him to entertain guests. Jesters told jokes and stories, juggled, performed magic tricks and used music, imitation and puns to entertain people. They commented on things that their audience was familiar with and even delivered bad news to Kings that others wouldn't dare to.
Because of their popularity, there are plenty of good jester names to choose from. You can opt for trickster names, mime names, medieval jester names, joker names and even names of famous jesters when you're making a decision about which name to pick for your jester character. There are many male as well as female jester names on our list that you might draw inspiration from.
Male Jester Names
Looking for the perfect male jester name? Pick a name you like from this list, whether it's a Renaissance jester or any other idea.
1. Alfie (Old English origin), meaning "wise".
2. Archibald Armstrong (German origin), the name means "bold" and "precious". This is the name of the court fool of England's King James I.
3. Birbal (Indian origin), meaning "brave heart". Raja Birbal was Emperor Akbar's jester during the rule of the Mughal empire.
4. Bobo (Spanish origin), among the names that mean "crazy".
5. Briar (English origin), meaning "thorny patch".
6. Chicot, the court jester of King Henry III and Henry IV. His real name was Jean-Antoine d'Anglerais.
7. Devlin (Irish origin), meaning "unlucky".
8. Diablo (Spanish origin), meaning "devil".
9. Diego (Spanish origin), meaning "supplanter". Don Diego de Acedo was a man who played the role of Philip IV of Spain's court fool.
10. Diger (American origin), the name means "creative".
11. Giacomo (Italian origin), meaning "supplanter". This is the name of a renowned traveling jester who represented the King of jesters in 'The Court Jester', a 1956 musical film.
12. Harley (English origin), meaning "hare's meadow". Mr. Harley Quin represents the modern jester in Agatha Christie's collection, 'The Mysterious Mr. Quin".
13. Jeffrey Hudson (German, English origin), meaning "pledge of peace". Hudson, also known as Lord Minimus, was the court dwarf of Henrietta Maria of France.
14. Jesse (Hebrew origin), meaning "God exists". Jesse Bogdonoff was the jester to King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV of Tonga.
15. Joao de Sa Panasco (Hebrew origin), the name means "God is gracious". This is the name of the court fool of King John III of Portugal.
16. Mac (English origin), meaning "wise guy".
17. Marx (German origin), the name means "God of war". The name of the jester from the video game, 'Kirby Super Star' and 'Kirby Super Star Ultra'.
18. Perkeo (Italian origin), meaning "why not". Perkeo of Heidelberg was Prince Charles III's jester.
19. Roland (French, German origin), meaning "famous land". Roland the Farter was jester to England's Henry II.
20. Sebastian (Greek origin), the name means "revered". King Philip IV of Spain's jester was Sebastian de Morra.
21. Stanczyk (Polish origin), derived from Staniek, the shortened version of Stanislaw. The most famous court jester in Polish history. He worked for King Alexander, Sigismund the Old, and Sigismund Augustus.
22. Tenali (Sanskrit origin), meaning "family tree". Tenali Ramakrishna, was Emperor Krishnadevaraya's jester in the Vijayanagara Empire.
23. Tom Durie (Greek, Scottish origin), Tom is of Greek origin and means "purity" while Durie is a Scottish habitational name. Tom Durie was jester to Anne of Denmark.
24. Triboulet (French origin), meaning "to laugh". Nicolas Ferrial, more popularly called Triboulet, was the court jester of King Louis XII and Francis I of France.
25. Trivet, the royal jester from the 'Blazing Dragons' game.
26. Wally (English origin), the name means "fool".
27. Wamba, the jester from Sir Walter Scott's novel, 'Ivanhoe'.
28. Wilder (American origin), meaning "untamable".
29. Will Sommers (German origin), the name means "vehement protector". This was the court jester of Henry VIII of England.
Female Jester Names
Do you want to choose a medieval or modern jester name that's perfect for girls for your female jester character? Get some inspiration from these names from around the world.
30. Azubah (Hebrew origin), meaning "desolation".
31. Binky (American origin), the name means "someone who brings relief".
32. Cleon (Greek origin), the name means "glorious" or "renowned". This is a fairy jester from the 'Bust A Move 4' game.
33. Deidre (Irish origin), meaning "sorrowful".
34. Dimple (Indian origin), the name means "happy".
35. Emily (Latin origin), meaning "rival".
36. Hecate (Greek origin), means "not a good omen". This is the name of the Goddess of witchcraft and necromancy in Greek mythology.
37. Jane (Hebrew origin), the name means "God is merciful". Jane Foole was jester to Catherine Parr and Mary I of England.
38. Jezebel (Hebrew origin), meaning "an impure idol follower".
39. Mary (Hebrew origin), meaning "rebellion".
40. Mathurine de Vallois (French origin), meaning "timely". The court jester of Henry III, Henry IV and Louis XIII of France.
41. Maytag (English origin), a female jester from the webcomic, 'Flipside'.
42. Persephone (Greek origin), meaning "to murder or destroy".
43. Rogue (English origin), the name means "unpredictable".
44. Shabina (Arabic origin), this name means "eye of the storm".
45. Twinkle (American origin), the name means "to light up sporadically". Twinkle is a little jester from 'Bust A Move 3'.
46. Zilla (Hebrew origin), the name means "gloom" or "shadow".
Funny Jester Names
Joker and clown names are perfect jester name ideas for a court fool. Take your pick from among these funny names for jesters.
47. Clownpiece, a fairy jester from the 'Legacy Of Lunatic Kingdom' game.
48. Dumpty, a reference to Humpty Dumpty from the nursery rhyme. One of the many funny name options for a little jester.
49. Giggles (English origin), the name means "laughter". An appropriate name for jesters.
50. Gogo (Slavic origin), meaning "mountain" or "man".
51. Happy (American origin), meaning "joyful". A name you'll like.
52. Jester (English origin), the word Jester itself can be a name. The name means "someone who tells funny and amusing stories". The Jester is also a fictional superhero from the 'DC Comics' universe.
53. Joka (Hebrew origin), meaning "gift from God". The recurring character Joka, who is also commonly called Joker, appears in the game 'Klonoa'.
54. Loko (Spanish origin), the name means "insane or foolish person". One of the many good jester names.
55. Lucky (American origin), meaning "fortunate".
56. Noodles (German origin), meaning "one who shows leadership qualities".
57. Pierrot (French origin), the name means "clown". The perfect buffoon name.
58. Terach (Hebrew, Latin origin), meaning "silly".
59. Yoyo (Chinese origin), meaning "friendly".
Evil Jester Names
Medieval jester names can also take on a sinister meaning. If that's what you're looking for, this list of names is perfect for you.
60. Abaddon (Hebrew origin), the name means "destruction" or "ruin".
61. Alastor (Greek origin), meaning "tormentor".
62. Azazel (Hebrew origin), the name means "evil demon".
63. Breaker (English origin), the name means "trouble".
64. Dhoulmagus, the evil jester from the 'Dragon Quest VIII' game by Square Enix.
65. Dimentio, the psychopathic magician dressed in jester costume from the 'Super Paper Mario' game.
66. Draco (Greek origin), meaning "dragon". The popularity of this name grew thanks to the character of Draco Malfoy in the 'Harry Potter' series.
67. Fachnan (Irish origin), meaning "malicious". One of the many evil jester names.
68. Hecklar (German origin), occupational name. The crazy court jester from the game, 'Cardinal Syn' by Kronos Digital.
69. Iniko (Nigerian origin), the name means "time of trouble". The meaning of this name is a little evil, so this makes for a good evil jester name.
70. Jevil (American origin), the name means "a chaotic being that is capable of doing anything". Jevil is the Card Castle court jester in the video game, 'Deltarune'.
71. Jinx (Latin origin), meaning "die another day".
72. Keres (Greek origin), the name means "evil spirits".
73. Lilith (Hebrew origin), meaning "ghost" or "night monster".
74. Malcolm (Gaelic origin), meaning "devotee of Saint Columba". A mad jester from 'The Legend Of Kyrandia' game.
75. Mort (French origin), the name means "dead".
76. Odysseus (Greek origin), meaning "wrathful". The tempestuous figure from Greek mythology.
77. Shaco, an evil jester from the 'League Of Legends' game.
78. Sidero (Latin origin), meaning "evil nymph". The perfect name for a scheming clown character who is a bit of a buffoon.
79. Teivel (Yiddish origin), meaning "devil".
80. Thana (Arabic origin), meaning "death".
81. Toodles (American origin), this is a name that means "goodbye".
82. Umlaut (German origin), the name means "around sound". It is the name of the jester skull and sub-boss in 'CarnEvil'.
Names That Mean Trickster Or Trick
A court jester was an entertainer who used a variety of tricks to engage an audience. That's why, this list of names meaning trickster is perfect for your jester characters.
83. Aella (Greek origin), meaning "whirlwind".
84. Anansi (West African origin), an Akan trickster God that manifests as a spider.
85. Cameron (Scottish origin), the name means "one who follows a crooked path".
86. Dolos (Greek origin), reference to the Greek God of trickery. One of the good trickster God names.
87. Fox (English origin), meaning "the sly one".
88. George (Greek origin), meaning "one who stirs up dirt".
89. Hermes (Greek origin), refers to the God of thieves and travelers. One of the Gods of mischief.
90. Heyoka (Native American origin), meaning "jester".
91. Indra (Indian origin), the King of Gods who retained his position using tricks.
92. Jett (English origin), the name means "extremely witty".
93. Loki (Scandinavian origin), meaning "trickster". The name rose to popularity due to the 'Avengers' franchise.
94. Maverick (American origin), meaning "non conformist".
95. Maximon (Mayan origin), refers to the God of trickery.
96. Medea (Greek origin), meaning "cunning". One of the good boy names that mean trickster.
97. Mischief (French origin), the name means "playful misbehavior".
98. Raven (Scandinavian origin), meaning "thieving".
99. Rhonda (Welsh origin), meaning "the noisy one".
100. Sophia (Greek origin), the name means "wise trickery".
101. Tempest (English origin), meaning "storm".
Kidadl has lots of great name articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for jester names that mean trouble, then why not take a look at something different like these magician names or these medieval male names?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.