Often parents try to think of a name before the arrival of their baby.
A name gives your baby part of their identity. That is why it is so important to pick a name that you love now, and that your child will love for years to come.
Giving a positive name is the first step in that direction. If you want your baby's name to have a unique meaning, a name meaning "magic" could be a really special touch.
Interestingly, as well as there being many beautiful names that mean "magic" to choose from, the word 'magic' has become a name in its own right. It is a unisex name of American origin, meaning "full of wonder".
If you are looking to pick a magical name for your little boy or girl, take a look at the categories below in this list of names meaning or related to magic. For more naming ideas, you can check our articles on the best fairytale names and the best magical girl names for babies.
Boys' Names That Mean Magic
If you want your new baby boy to become a magical and charismatic figure as he grows, you can choose his name from this list. These magical names will bring the magic of love and affection to the family.
1. Alvin (Old English origin), one of the magical baby names for a "friend of the elves".
2. Amatheon (Welsh origin), meaning "plowman or laborer".
3. Anulap (Micronesian origin), this is the name of the God of magic and knowledge in the mythology of Micronesia.
4. Bruxo (Portuguese origin), meaning "magician".
5. Easton (Old English origin), a unisex name meaning "magical".
6. Galdur (Norse origin), an Icelandic name signifying "magic" from old Norse.
7. Gwydion (Welsh origin), meaning "God of magic and enchantment".
8. Hermes (Greek origin), deity of magic in Greek mythology, associated with good luck.
9. Jadoo (Indian origin), an Indian word for "magic" in Hindi.
10. Kesem (Hebrew origin), meaning "magic".
11. Magus (Old English origin), an Old English name for "sorcerer", this name is the root of the word 'magic'.
12. Odin (Scandinavian origin), meaning "inspiration", used for the God of magic who presided over wisdom and war.
13. Woden (Norse origin), the name of the God of magic and healing in Norse mythology.
Girl Names That Mean Magic
We may not be able to see the magic wand in the hands of little girls, but their loving touch brings a fortune of happiness in our lives. One of the female names that mean magic from the following list can be a good choice.
14. Alcina (Greek origin), a cute baby name meaning "strong willed girl", this is also the name of a witch in Greek mythology.
15. Alisa (Scottish origin), which portrays "elf victory", a magic alternative to the more popular Ashley.
16. Circe (Greek origin), one of the magical girl names that means "bird", also the name of the daughter of Helios the sun God in Greek mythology. One of the cool magic names.
17. Cybele (Greek origin), one of the magical names in Greek mythology, this is the name of the Goddess of magic, health and fertility.
18. Kemala (Indonesian origin), one of the magical names for girls in Indonesia for "a glittering magic stone of wisdom".
19. Kendra (English origin), one of the cute baby names for girls meaning "magical".
20. Kiama (Kenyan origin), meaning "magic" in Kenya. One of the cute fairy girl names.
21. Manimekala (Indian origin), one of the magical girl names of Indian origin for "a dancer with a magic bowl".
22. Mustika (Indonesian origin), an Indonesian magical name for baby, meaning "magic stone or talisman".
23. Noelani (Hawaiian origin), one of the magical girl names in Hawaiian, this name refers to "heavenly mist".
24. Orenda (Native American origin), one of the baby names which means "invisible magic power".
25. Rhian (Welsh origin), one of the baby names of Welsh origin used for "magic maiden".
26. Somilge (Filipino origin), a Filipino magical name for girls which means "Goddess of magic".
27. Tika (Finnish origin), one of the Finnish baby names meaning "magic or spell".
Boy Baby Names That Mean Healer
A newborn baby brings happiness and peace into our lives. So why not pick one of these magical names that are synonymous with healers for your baby?
28. Arpachshad (Jewish origin), it is a Jewish name that refers to Noah's oldest child, the name means "a helper or healer".
29. Asa (Hebrew origin), a unisex name for "someone who is born in the morning sun, or a magic healer”.
30. Bliant (Arthurian origin) , one of the Arthurian legend baby names, and it means "healer".
31. Chiron (Greek origin), name of Centaur who had lots of knowledge and healing capacities.
32. Errapel (Hebrew origin), a popular Israeli name that means "a divine healer".
33. Grannus (Celtic origin), the name of the Celtic deity of healing, along with Maponus.
34. Heka (Egyptian origin), the name of Egyptian God of magic who was bestowed with powers of healing.
35. Ken (Japanese origin), a name from the Japanese language that means "health".
36. Maponus (Gaulish origin), the name of the God of the healing spring in Gaulish mythology.
37. Ninazu (Sumerian origin), the son of Ninlil and Enlil, he is the God of healing in Sumerian mythology.
38. Rafael (Hebrew origin) , a name in the Hebrew language which means "God has healed".
39. Wong (Chinese origin), a popular name in China for "God who has the power of healing".
Female Healer Names
Find names for your little angel who sends blessings with her adorable healing powers.
40. Aceso (Greek origin), the name of a Greek goddess with the magical ability to heal sickness.
41. Althaea or Althea (Greek origin), this name in the Greek language, means "healing magic power".
42. Bona (Roman origin), the name of the Roman Goddess of healing, this name also means "good faith".
43. Eir (Norse origin), a cute baby name that means "healing, help and mercy".
44. Emma (Germanic origin), a prevalent name meaning "healer of the world", it is derived from the German word 'emen'.
45. Leigh (English origin), a unisex English name that means "healer, meadow or delicate".
46. Panacea (Greek origin), it is a Greek word that means "remedy to all the ills" and relates to the Goddess of healing who used to prescribe remedies.
47. Rafaela (Hebrew origin), like Rafael for boys, Rafaela is a name for girls which means "God has healed".
48. Serket (Egyptian origin), the name of an Egyptian deity of magic and healing.
49. Sirona (Celtic origin), it is the name of the Celtic Goddess who is worshiped in East Central Gaul as the Goddess of healing.
50. Zywie (Slavic origin), a unique name from Slavic mythology for "a Goddess of health and healing".
Names Based On Fictional Characters
If you like fantasy movies, you can name your baby after a fictional character from your favorite movie or video game. Take a look at the names below to find your favorite character.
51. Albus (Latin origin), a character from 'Harry Potter', considered as the greatest practitioner of magic.
52. Angelica (Greek origin), it is a name inspired by 'Lord Of The Rings' and means "relating to angels".
53. Edmund (English origin), from 'The Chronicles Of Narnia', meaning "rich protector", this is the King's name in the series.
54. Ella (Hebrew origin), it is one of the mystical names for girls meaning "noble", and is inspired by 'Game Of Thrones'.
55. Ferdinand (Germanic origin), from 'Lord Of The Rings' and means "bold voyager".
56. Frank (Germanic origin), one of the mystical names for boys from 'The Chronicles Of Narnia', meaning "free man", this is the name of the King of Narnia.
57. Galadriel (Fictional name), a character from 'Lord Of The Rings' who could see past, present and future using her magic mirror.
58. Gandalf (Norse origin), from 'Lord Of The Rings', a character who could conjure fire by a magic spell.
59. Gilbert (Germanic origin), a powerful character from 'Harry Potter', who practices wandless magic.
60. Hannah (Hebrew origin), a character from 'Harry Potter' who could perform healing magic.
61. Harry (Germanic origin), it means "army ruler" and is the name of the title character in 'Harry Potter'.
62. Helen (Greek origin), it is a name of Greek origin for "light" and is the name of the first queen from 'The Chronicles Of Narnia'".
63. Helena (Greek origin), the protagonist of Shakespeare's play 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.
64. Helga (Norse origin), it is a mystical name meaning "blessed" and is the name of one of the founders of Hogwarts in 'Harry Potter'.
65. Hermione (Greek origin), it means "messenger" and is the name of a character who is a close friend of Harry in 'Harry Potter'.
66. James (Latin origin), an animagus character from 'Harry Potter' who could transform to a stag by magic.
67. Lee (English origin), a character from 'Harry Potter' who could perform levitation magic.
68. Nymphadora (Greek origin), a character from 'Harry Potter' who could change her appearance at will with the use of magic.
69. Olly (English and German origin), it means "noble" and is a name inspired by 'Game Of Thrones'.
70. Quirrell (Roman origin), a professor from 'Harry Potter' who could snap his fingers and perform magic.
71. Peter (Greek origin), an animagus character from 'Harry Potter' who could transform to a rat by magic.
72. Ros (German origin), it means "rose" and is the name of a red haired character from 'Game Of Thrones'.
73. Roslin (old German origin), one of the mystical girl names based on the "rose flower" from 'Game Of Thrones'.
74. Severus (Latin origin), a magician from 'Harry Potter' who could perform magic without wand.
75. Sirius (Greek origin), an animagus character from 'Harry Potter' who could transform to a dog by magic.
76. Susan (Persian origin), a character from one of the magic families in ‘Harry Potter’.
77. Terry (French origin), a character from ‘Harry Potter’ who could perform many magic spells.
78. Trian (Spanish origin), it means "gracious" and is the name of the last King from ‘The Chronicles Of Narnia’.
79. Voldemort (French origin), an evil character from ‘Harry Potter’.
80. Yuna (Japanese origin), a character who wields magic in the ‘Final Fantasy’ video game.
Names That Mean Future
The birth of a baby signifies the progress of a generation to the future. Therefore, you can also name your baby with a magical word synonymous with the future.
81. Ahsa (Indian origin), it is a name in the Indian language, which means “hope for the future”.
82. Aparee (Indian origin), meaning "future”.
83. Atei (Lithuanian origin), a name for a baby girl in Lithuanian meaning “future”.
84. Bhavishya (Indian origin), a name in the Hindi language that means “future or upcoming”.
85. Bhavisha (Indian origin), a name used in Jainism for “future or the one who can see the future”.
86. Bhavishyajot (Indian origin), an Indian name for someone who becomes the “light for the future”.
87. Bhavith (Indian origin), an Indian name in the Sanskrit language that means “the future”.
88. Bhrugu (Indian origin), a name of an Indian saint who foretold the future.
89. Bokamoso (African origin), a Christian name of African origin that conveys “future”.
90. Delphia (Greek origin), a Christian name for a baby girl that means “one who can predict the future”.
91. Debbyanne (English origin), a Christian name for a baby girl signifying “fate”.
92. Mikku (Japanese origin), a Japanese name for a baby conveying “future”.
93. Mirai (Japanese origin), a Japanese name for girls that means “future”.
94. Skuld (Norse origin), the name of one of the Goddesses of destiny in Norse mythology.
95. Tuleva (Finnish origin), a baby girl’s name of Finnish origin that signifies "the future”.
Mythological characters also provide us with lots of name ideas and inspiration. Why not pikc one of these magical names for your new baby?
96. Adonis (Greek origin), a name from Greek mythology meaning “a handsome young man”.
97. Alvis (Norse origin), a knowledgeable dwarf in Norse mythology.
98. Angitia (Italian origin), the Goddess of magic and medicine, worshiped in central Italy.
99. Apollo (Greek origin), one of the enchanted names for boys that means “the handsome son of Zeus and God of medicine”.
100. Artemis (Greek origin), the name of the Greek Goddess of the moon.
101. Asia (Greek origin), one of the fairies' names in Greek mythology that signifies “sunrise”.
102. Athena (Greek origin), the name of the Goddess of wisdom from Greek mythology.
103. Aurora (Roman origin), a name meaning "fairy".
104. Ashera (Hebrew origin), one of the female fairy names in Hebrew signifies the Goddess of fertility.
105. Cadmus(Greek origin), the name of “serpent slaying hero from Greek mythology”, is credited with the alphabet's invention.
106. Dagur (Icelandic origin), a popular Icelandic name that means“the day”.
107. Dia (Greek origin), the name of the Greek Goddess of youth, the name means “heavenly”, and in Spanish it means “day”.
108. Enki (Sumerian origin), the name of the Sumerian God of magic.
109. Fay (Old English origin), one of the names for “fairies” in Old English.
110. Finn (Irish origin), the name of the greatest heros of Irish mythology, his name means “fair”.
111. Gala (Greek origin), the name of the Greek Goddess of the earth.
112. Hecate (Greek origin), the name of the chief Goddess presiding over magic spells.
113. Janus (Roman origin), the name of the Roman God of transitions, this name also relates to the name of the first month, January.
114. Kanaloa (Hawaiian origin), meaning “teacher of magic” according to Hawaiian mythology.
115. Kumugwe (Pacific Northwest origin), the God of magic in Pacific Northwestern countries.
116. Linette (French origin), one of the names meaning “fairy” in French.
117. Lucina (Roman origin), the name of the Roman Goddess of childbirth meaning “she who brings children into the light”.
118. Marduk (Babylonian origin), the name of the God of Babylon for creation, water and magic, he was the son of Enki.
119. Pari (Indian origin), a name signifying “fairy” in the Indian language.
120. Regin (Norse origin), the name of a mythical blacksmith who was well-versed in the art of magic.
121. Thoth (Greek origin), the name of the God of writing and magic.
122. Tiana (Russian origin), one of the Russian fairy names for girls that means “fairy queen”.
123. Veles (Polish origin), the name of the Polish God of magic, cattle and harvest.
124. Weretheku (Egyptian origin), the name of an ancient Egyptian deity of magic.
Mystical names have also become quite popular. Harness your baby's magical power by choosing one of these beautiful names!
125. Calliope (Greek origin), this name originated in Greece, means “beautiful voice”.
126. Cleon (Greek origin),one of the mystical boy names that means “renowned” or “glorious” and has originated from Greece.
127. Cullen (Irish origin), the name from Ireland means "holy tree”.
128. Daphne (Greek origin), it is a Greek name and means “laurel tree”, in mythology it is the name of a Greek water nymph.
129. Elam (Hebrew origin), it means “highland”, “hidden” or “eternity”.
130. Gil (Spanish origin), the name has a magic touch, it means “happiness”.
131. Hulda (Norse origin), the name from old Norse means “secrecy, sweet or lovable”, and in German, it means “the good female spirit" or "gracious”.
132. Ichtaka (Aztec origin), this unisex name in the Aztec language means “secret”.
Kidadl has lots of great baby names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for names meaning magic, then why not take a look at these magical boy names, or for something different take a look at these trickster names for your little troublemaker.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.