Finding a perfect name for your kid is often a hassle for parents.
Is the name trendy? Does the name give a nice ring to ears when spoken of?
Choosing baby names that mean thunder or lightning can have its benefits as no one will try to mess or pick a fight with your kid. People have worshipped thunder and storm since time immemorial. So parents, let's get ready to give an intimidating name to your child. Naming your child with similar names to that of a God of Thunder is also cool. We have created a list that consists of boy names meaning thunder like Raiden, to girl names of thunder like Thora. We also have a unisex name like Taima. Aaron which means "bringer of light" can also be taken into account as thunder and lightning go hand in hand.
Names Meaning Thunder
We have a huge number of Boy baby names that mean Thunder.
1. Adad (Assyrian- Babylonian origin) Name derived from Babylonian "God of Thunder" is a very common name that is used to pay homage to the Thunder Gods.
2. Boran (Turkish origin) name meaning a "thunder-storm".
3. Brontes (Greek origin) name meaning "thunder". In Greek Mythology he was one of the Cyclopes.
4. Hadad (Semitic origin) Named after the "God of thunder and storm".
5. Leigong (Chinese origin) from Chinese mythology, the name is derived from the "God of thunder".
6. RA'D (Arabic origin) meaning "thunder" and this name has its roots in the holy Quran.
7. Raiden (Japanese origin) is a trendy, eye-catching name derived from the Japanese "God of thunder". Raiden or the Thunder God is also a very famous name character in the 'Mortal Kombat' game series.
8. Raijin (Japanese origin) According to Japanese mythology, he is the "God of thunder and storm".
9. Taranis (Celtic origin) Identified with Jupiter, he is the Celtic "God of thunder".
10. Thor (Old Norse origin) is the name derived from "Norse God of thunder" from the old Norse mythology. The God of thunder wields a hammer and can strike thunder.
Girl Names Meaning Thunder
Let's give a look at girl names meaning thunder.
11. Indira (Hindu origin) meaning "God of thunderstorms".
12. Nariko (Japanese origin) meaning "thunder".
13. Sea'iqa (Arabic origin) meaning a "bolt of thunder".
14. Sorine (Danish origin) name meaning the "God of thunder".
15. Tama (Native American origin) name meaning "thunderbolt". Tama is also a world-renowned brand of drum manufacturer.
16. Thora (Old Norse origin) is the female version of Thor, the 'Norse God of thunder'. She is also referred to as the "thunder Goddess and the God of rain".
Gender-Neutral Names That Mean Thunder
Unisex names are very trendy nowadays. Here are some unisex names:
17. Indra (Hindu origin) In Hindu Mythology, he was the 'king of the Gods' and also the "God of thunder'". The Thunder God Indra also the God of rain resides at Indraloka i.e heavens.
18. Raamiah (Biblical origin) name meaning "thunder". Raamiah was an exiled prince who was also the Lord of Thunder.
19. Taima (Native American origin) Often depicted as a "crash of Thunder", it also means those who were 'born during a thunderstorm'. Taima is a very popular Native American name.
20. Vajra (Hindu origin) means "thunderbolt". Hindu God Indra often hurls Vajra (thunderbolt) at his enemies.
Boy Names Meaning Lightning
Listed below are some of the best boys names which mean lightning.
21. Aratiri (Guarani origin) meaning "bolt of lightning".
22. Asteropaios (Greek origin) name meaning "lightning" was an important character in the Trojan War. He was a designated ally of Troy.
23. Barachiel (Hebrew origin) meaning "lightning of God" was one of the archangels.
24. Bijuli (Nepali origin) means "electricity or lightning".
25. Chaqmoq (Uzbek origin) it means a spark of "lightning".
26. Pailan (Armenian origin) means "lightning". The Armenian people generally worshipped nature which also includes the God of Thunder.
27. Rai (Japanese origin) name meaning "thunder or lightning" is a very common name in the Japanese naming culture.
28. Vidyut (Hindu origin) means "lightning". Vidyut Jamwal is a famous Bollywood actor.
29. Yashin (Uzbek origin) it means "lightning". Lev Yashin was a world-famous Russian goalkeeper who is the only goalie to have won the prestigious Ballon d'Or.
Girl Names Meaning Lightning
Here are some of the famous girl names that mean lightning.
30. Ashni (Sanskrit origin) name meaning "lightning" has its mentions in the Holy Vedas.
31. Astrape (Greek origin) name derived from the Greek Mythology where she was the "Goddess of lightning".
32. Brekhna (Pashto origin) means "lightning"
33. Fulgora (Roman origin) was the Roman "Goddess of lightning".
34. Kohara (Polynesian origin) name meaning "crash of lightning" according to Maori Mythology.
35. Rhiainfelt (Welsh origin) means "maiden of Lightning". The name has its roots in ancient Anglo-Saxon history. Few references of this name can also be found in Native American history.
36. Saudamini (Hindu origin) name meaning "lightning" is a popular name in India.
Gender-Neutral Names That Mean Lightning
Let's take a look at some unisex names that mean lightning
37. Kallik (Inuit origin) means "lightning". Kallik has been used in the 'Seekers' novel series.
38. Llipya (Quechua origin) name meaning "lightning".
39. Maloney (Romani origin) meaning "lightning" is quite a common name among the Nomadic people.
40. Simsek (Turkish origin) means a "lightning flash".
41. Thunder (English origin) as the name itself depicts "thunder" and "lightning". This name is quite popular in Native American English.
42. Wachira (Thai origin) name meaning "lightning bolt" in Thailand.
Boy Names Meaning Storm
Here are some of the best boy names that mean Storm.
43. Aegaeon (Greek origin) means "storm". In Greek mythology, Aegaeon is the 'God of Storm' from the Aegean Sea.
44. Arashi (Japanese origin) name meaning "tempest".
45. Bahoz (Kurdish origin) meaning a "storm" in Middle-East Eastern Eurasia.
46. Maolanaithe (Irish origin) means "the devotee of the storm"
47. Ranto (Japanese origin) name meaning "tempest or storm".
48. Sturm (German origin) meaning a "storm". The name has its reference in St. Sturm of Germany.
49. Tikokura (Polynesian origin) meaning a "storm-wave". Mythology reveals he was a powerful God who could create Storms when angered.
50. Tufan (Arabic origin) name meaning a "storm" is a very popular Arabic name.
51. Vedrfolnir (Norse God origin) meaning a "pale storm". The Mythology refers to Vedrfolnir as the hawk who is on top of the Yggdrasil, the world tree.
52. Zrian (Kurdish origin) means "storm" among people of the Middle-East.
Girl Names Meaning Storm
Let's take a look at some of the girl names that mean storm:
53. Aello (Greek origin) meaning a "whirlwind". Greek Mythology often refers to Aello as 'Storm-swift'
54. Ekaitza ( Basque origin) refers to "storm". Basque mythology says she could transform herself into storms whenever she wanted
55. Kapheira (Greek origin) meaning a "Stormy-breath". Greek mythology refers to Kapheira as a nymph who took care of the God of Sea, Poseidon when the latter was young.
56. Vetra (Latvian origin) name meaning "gale or a tempest".
57. Zilan (Kurdish origin) name meaning a "storm or storm wind".
Gender-Neutral Names That Mean Storm
Let's find out some unisex names that mean Storm.
58. Storm (English origin) the name itself depicts "violent winds". Storm is a famous fictional character that appears in Marvel's Comics and in 'X-Men' movies. Storm is often regarded as a common unisex name.
59. Tufani (Swahili origin) name meaning "a storm". The name also has its roots in the Arabic name Tufan.
60. Wintry (Native American origin) name meaning "something which defines winter or storm wind". A great unisex name.
Kidadl has lots of great baby names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Names That Mean Thunder then why not take a look at Names Meaning Lightning, or for something different take a look at Canadian Names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.