The most peaceful part of the day is the silent hour of the night, oh-so calm and serene!
The night is a time for sleep, hence the idea of the night as the calmest time. Goodnight quotes are the best way to celebrate the magical nighttime.
Whilst the day seems so bright, the night is always calm, dark, and peaceful. It is often very beautiful and deserves to be celebrated. That is why we have collected the best good night quotes from Poppy Z Brite, Anne Brontë, Stephen King, Sarah Williams, and many more. These good night quotes will tell you how to say goodnight or give you something to think about when you can't sleep at night. Including some "what a great night quotes" and "when night falls" quotes, there are good night quotes for everyone on this list!
If you liked reading these good night quotes, you can also check out these [night sky quotes] that describe the beauty of the night sky, or these good night quotes to wish those you love a peaceful night's sleep.
The night is full of thoughts and beautiful views of the moon and stars. Here, you can find some good night quotes that welcome in the night and the possibility of darkness that will grow.
1. "I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars."
- Stephenie Meyer, 'Twilight'.
2. "Night kneels at your feet like a gypsy glistening with jewels."
- Tracy K. Smith.
3. "I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
- Sarah Williams.
4. "Life is full of new beginnings, and a new day tomorrow brings, sleep well."
- Catherine Pulsifer.
5. "It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright."
- Stephen King.
6. "Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow’s a fresh opportunity to make it better."
- Harry Dean Stanton.
7. "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
- Steve Martin.
8. "Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
9. "Nothing happens unless first a dream."
- Carl Sandburg.
10. "Hope is a waking dream."
11. "It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better."
- Henry Rollins.
12. "Night is the other half of life and the better half."
13. "I love the silent hour of the night. For blissful dreams may then arise."
- Anne Brontë.
14. "The night is longer than a day for those who dream, and the day is longer than night for those who make their dreams come true."
- Jack Kerouac.
15. "There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope."
- Bernard Williams.
16. "I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night."
- Psalm 63:6.
17. "Loneliness adds beauty to life."
- Henry Rollins.
18. "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt.
19. "Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens."
- Carl Jung.
20. "You can have it all. Just not all at once."
- Oprah Winfrey.
Good Night Quotes For Everyone
Are you looking for good night quotes to wish someone a good night? Here, you will find good night quotes for her, good night my love quotes, and night quotes that will prepare you each night for blissful dreams. Which of these good night quotes is your favorite?
21. "Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn."
- Mahatma Gandhi.
22. "Beware of the night, child. All cats are black in the dark."
- Jean Genet.
23. "I think the best way to get a good night's sleep is to work hard throughout the day."
- William H. McRaven.
24. "Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer."
- Maya Angelou.
25. "Nighttime is really the best time to work. All the ideas are there to be yours because everyone else is asleep."
- Catherine O'Hara.
26. "Night is the wonderful opportunity to take rest, to forgive, to smile, to get ready for all the battles that you have to fight tomorrow."
- Allen Ginsberg.
27. "Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life."
28. "The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you."
- Tom Bradley.
29. "A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."
- J. R. R. Tolkien.
30. "I dream. Sometimes I think that's the only right thing to do."
- Haruki Murakami, 'Sputnik Sweetheart'.
31. "The night is the hardest time to be alive and 4 am knows all my secrets."
- Poppy Z. Brite.
32. "At night we are all strangers, even to ourselves."
- Alexander McCall Smith.
33. "The darker the night, the brighter the stars, The deeper the grief, the closer is God."
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
34. "How did it get so late so soon?"
- Dr. Seuss.
35. "Night is a world lit by itself."
- Antonio Porchia.
36. "This is the end of the day, but soon there will be a new day. Keep your spirits up because there are always more chances."
- Bernard Williams.
37. "My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light!"
- Edna St. Vincent Millay.
38. "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
- Samuel Beckett.
39. "Dreams are the seedlings of realities."
- James Allen.
40. "I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time."
- A. A. Milne, 'Winnie The Pooh'.
Sleep And Dream Quotes For The Night
Here, you will find good night love quotes for everyone and some beautiful night quotes on dreams and sleep. These are the perfect quotes for when you can't sleep at night.
41. "The longest way must have its close - the gloomiest night will wear on to a morning."
- Harriet Beecher Stowe, 'Uncle Tom's Cabin'.
42. "By night an atheist half believes in God."
- Edward Young.
43. "Before you fall asleep every day, say something positive to yourself."
- Enid Bagnold.
44. "Good night now, and rest. Today was a test, you passed it, you’re past it. Now breathe till unstressed."
- Lin-Manuel Miranda.
45. "Twilight drops her curtain down, and pins it with a star."
- Lucy Maud Montgomery.
46. "A lonely night is more profound than lonesome nights."
- Santosh Kalwar.
47. "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell.
48. "No matter where you're from, your dreams are valid."
- Lupita Nyong'o.
49. "A man must dream a long time in order to act with grandeur, and dreaming is nursed in darkness."
- Jean Genet.
50. "Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart."
- Roy T. Bennett, 'The Light In The Heart'.
51. "Some nights are made for torture, or reflection, or the savoring of loneliness."
- Poppy Z.Brite.
52. "Night hath a thousand eyes."
- John Lyly.
53. "I’m chasing my dreams straight to the top into a sky that has no limits."
- Peter Handke.
54. "Do not go gentle into that good night but rage, rage against the dying of the light."
- Dylan Thomas.
55. "You can't stand up to the night until you understand what's hiding in its shadows."
- Charles De Lint.
56. "The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night’s sleep."
- E. Joseph Cossman.
57. "At night, when the sky is full of stars and the sea is still you get the wonderful sensation that you are floating in space."
- Natalie Wood.
58. "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."
- Arthur Ashe.
59. "That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed."
- Neil Gaiman.
60. "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
- Edgar Allan Poe.
Beautiful End Of The Day Quotes For When Night Falls
Are you enjoying these good night quotes so far? This section includes some of the most beautiful night quotes that can help you fall asleep at the end of the day.
61. "Night triumphant- and the stars eternal."
- Sarah J. Maas, 'A Court Of Wings And Ruin'.
62. "The sky grew darker, painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night."
- Haruki Murakami, 'Dance Dance Dance'.
63. "The night is more alive and more richly colored than the day."
- Vincent van Gogh.
64. "Goodnight. Sleep awaits those of us who dare to dream."
- Anthony T. Hincks.
65. "Shadow owes its birth to light."
- John Gay.
66. "Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere."
- Margaret Wise Brown.
67. “Good night - may you fall asleep in the arms of a dream, so beautiful, you'll cry when you awake.”
― Michael Faudet.
68. "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C. S. Lewis.
69. "It’s difficult to follow your dream. It’s a tragedy not to."
- Ralph Marston.
70. "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one."
- John Lennon, 'Imagine'.
71. "May I kiss you then? On this miserable paper? I might as well open the window and kiss the night air."
- Franz Kafka.
72. "Night is the mother of thoughts."
- John Florio.
73. "Life begins at night."
- Charlaine Harris.
74. "Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow."
- William Shakespeare.
75. "Night brings our troubles to the light, rather than banishes them."
76. "Good night, and good luck."
- Edward R. Murrow.
77. "The moon looks upon many night flowers; the night flowers see but one moon."
- Jean Ingelow.
78. "You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'"
- George Bernard Shaw.
79. "Make the action to move closer to your dream the first action you take each day."
- Leo Babauta.
80. "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
- Dr. Seuss.
81. "The moon will guide you through the night with her brightness, but she will always dwell in the darkness, in order to be seen."
- Shannon L. Alder.
82. "The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
83. "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
- Edgar Allan Poe, 'Eleonora'.
What A Great Night Quotes
The nights can be fun too! Celebrate a good night with these "what a good night" quotes.
84. "Oh, what a night
Late December back in sixty three
What a very special time for me
As I remember, what a night."
- Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, 'December 1963 (Oh What A Night)'.
85. "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
- Rodney Dangerfield.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for good night quotes, then why not take a look at these [quotes on sleeplessness] or these sunrise quotes for more quotes to inspire you to have a good day and a good night?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.