The ocean is a continuous body of salt water that cumulatively covers nearly three quartersof the Earth's surface.
There are five main oceans. These are the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, and the Arctic Ocean.
The continents framing the ocean are what define their boundaries. Humans depend on these massive concentrations of water bodies for comfort and survival. 97% of the Earth's water supply comes from the oceans, which hold up to 1.34 billion cubic kilometers of water. Oceans regulate global weather patterns and temperature by distributing the sun's heat around the world. They absorb it and then transfer it to the atmosphere.
The oceans are home to millions of plants and animals, from microscopic single-celled organisms to the gigantic blue whale, the planet's largest living animal. Half of the world's oxygen also comes from phytoplankton, which are microscopic organisms that survive through photosynthesis on the surface.
For more related content take a look at these beach day quotes and [sailing quotes].
Inspirational Quotes About The Ocean
Ocean quotes and sayings that will inspire and motivate your thoughts about the oceans, from Holly Black and more!
1. “God gave me my love for the ocean and I honor him when I delight in that passion!”
― Bethany Hamilton.
2. “I couldn't imagine living in a state that didn't reach the ocean. It was a giant reset button. You could go to the edge of the land and see infinity and feel renewed.”
― Avery Sawyer.
3. “Looking out over the ocean you can see reflections of God.”
― Catherine Pulsifer.
4. “Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.”
― Ryunosuke Satoro.
5. “In one drop of water are found all the secrets of all the oceans.”
― Kahlil Gibran Jr.
6. “A river starts by longing for the ocean.”
― Will Advise.
7. “The ocean has a life of its own. Its tides, whirlpools, currents and eddies are a testament to its conflicting emotions.”
― Anthony T. Hincks.
8. “I wonder if the ocean smells different on the other side of the world.”
― J.A. Redmerski.
9. “I go to the ocean to calm down, to reconnect with the creator, to just be happy.”
— Nnedi Okorafor.
10. “The ocean is this beautiful, unexplored place. Why on Earth everyone isn’t down there, I don’t know.”
— Graham Hawkes.
11. “The thing about the ocean is that the surface won’t always tell you what is going on underneath.”
― Jennifer Arnett.
12. “No one would have crossed the ocean if he could have gotten off the ship in the storm.”
— Charles Kettering.
13. “The ocean and the wind and the stars and the moon will all teach you many things.”
― Jane Roberts.
14. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
― Andre Gide.
15. “And the ocean, calling out to us both. A song of freedom and longing.”
― Alexandra Christo.
16. “I loved the smell of ocean water. Salt always smells like memory.”
— Sherman Alexie.
17. “In one aspect of you are found all the aspects of existence.”
― Kahlil Gibran Jr.
18. “She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.”
― Holly Black.
Famous Ocean Quotes
Ocean love quotes and deep ocean quotes are amazing thoughts to share with others, be it from a book, a speech, or simply someone's thoughts.
19. “We are opening up an enormous new era in archaeology. Time capsules in the deep oceans.”
― John Lehman.
20. “The ocean is the navigator's world.”
― William Baffin.
21. “We know that when we protect our oceans we’re protecting our future.”
— Bill Clinton.
22. “Civilization is like a thin layer of ice upon a deep ocean of chaos and darkness.”
— Werner Herzog.
23. “A healthy ocean is vital to our economy and well-being. We need clean and healthy oceans to sustain tourism and fisheries.”
— Scott Peters.
24. “The ocean is a central image. It is the symbolism of a great journey.”
25. “Never underestimate the power of the ocean.”
— Heidi Klum.
26. “The ocean is so magnificent, peaceful, and awesome.”
— Paul Walker.
27. “Even castles made from sand fall to the ocean.”
— Jimi Hendrix.
28. “Ocean: A body of water occupying two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”
— Ambrose Bierce.
29. “I love the ocean. I’ve always liked the blue, so tranquil and peaceful and gliding. And the fear of it.”
— Siouxsie Sioux.
30. “Each kiss of an ocean wave is passed along, as long as there is life on and in the seas.”
— Anthony T. Hincks.
31. “Every time I slip into the ocean, it’s like going home.”
— Sylvia Earle.
32. “Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.”
— Steven Wright.
33. “Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.”
— H. P. Lovecraft.
34. “How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.”
— Arthur C. Clarke.
35. “The ocean is a mighty harmonist.”
— William Wordsworth.
36. “What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”
— Werner Herzog.
37. “We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.”
— Mother Teresa.
38. “A pool just isn't the same as the ocean. It has no energy. No life.”
— Linda Gerber.
39. “The ocean makes me feel really small and it makes me put my whole life into perspective.”
40. “Wherever people go to find peace - that's what I find in the ocean.”
― Willow Aster, 'True Love Story'.
41. “The ocean is an object of no small terror.”
― Edmund Burke.
42. “The beauty and mystery of the ocean, fills our lives with wonders.”
― M. L. Borges, ‘By The Sea’.
43. “If you want to hear the distant voice of the ocean put your ear to the lips of a seashell.”
― Curtis Tyrone Jones.
Quotes About The Ocean And Life
Great ocean quotes are a great source of information about life and the ocean. Can you find the quote from John F Kennedy here?
44. “If you wish to be a mine of jewels, open the deep ocean within your heart.”
45. “On the ocean of life let your mind be the ship and your heart be the compass.”
— James David Manning.
46. “It was a living thing that was as unpredictable as a great stage actor: it could be calm and welcoming.”
— Cecelia Ahern.
47. “My mother told me I had a chameleon soul, no moral compass pointing due north, no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean.”
— Lana Del Rey.
48. “Sometimes I catch myself staring at it and forget my duties. It seems big enough to contain everything anyone could ever feel.”
— Anthony Doerr.
49. “The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul.”
— Robert Wyland.
50. “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean, in a drop.”
51. “We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.”
― John F. Kennedy.
52. “We are all born in a little port but not all of us sail the vast oceans! Majority remains in the port!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan.
53. “Without the will or desire to achieve one is like flotsam on the oceans of time.”
― Steven Redhead, ‘Life Is Simply A Game’.
54. “There's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's sent away.”
— Sarah Kay.
55. “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”
— Mahatma Gandhi.
56. “My life is like a stroll upon the beach, as near to the ocean’s edge as I can go.”
— Henry David Thoreau.
Quotes About Ocean Waves
Great quotes about the waves that will wash away your worries.
57. “Like as the waves make towards the pebbl'd shore, so do our minutes, hasten to their end.”
― William Shakespeare.
58. “The universe is an ocean upon which we are the waves.”
― Charbel Tadros.
59. “The waves broke and spread their waters swiftly over the shore. One after another they massed themselves and fell; the spray tossed itself back with the energy of their fall.”
― Virginia Woolf.
60. “The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea.”
― Vladimir Nabokov.
61. “The winds and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators.”
― Edward Gibbon.
62. “Just take your time – wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one.”
― Duke Kahanamoku.
63. “Life is a wave, which in no two consecutive moments of its existence is composed of the same particles.”
― John Tyndall.
64. “Let the world be as it is and learn to rock with the waves.”
― Joseph Campbell.
65. “You're not a wave, you're a part of the ocean.”
― Mitch Albom.
66. “Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear.”
― Buzzy Trent.
67. “There is no new wave, only the sea.”
― Claude Chabrol.
68. “Every wave, regardless of how high and forceful it crests, must eventually collapse within itself.”
― Stefan Zweig.
Quotes About The Sea
Some of the best sea quotes and sayings alongside some sea funny sea quotes talking about the sea and its impact.
69. “The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.”
― Kate Chopin, ‘The Awakening’.
70. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
― Jacques Yves Cousteau.
71. “To me the sea is a continual miracle; the fishes that swim, the rocks, the motion of the waves, the ships with men in them. What stranger miracles are there?”
— Walt Whitman.
72. “The calming movement of the sea along with the restless ocean breeze gently caresses me creating a soothing trance which lulls me to a place of peace.”
— M. L. Borges, ‘By The Sea’.
73. “The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't.”
— Christopher Paolini.
74. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
— Jacques Cousteau.
75. “The sea drives truth into a man like salt.”
― Hilaire Belloc.
76. “At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.”
― Robin Lee Graham.
77. “The sea will grant each man new hope, and sleep will bring dreams of home.”
― Christopher Columbus.
78. “It’s out there at sea that you are really yourself.”
― Vito Dumas.
79. “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson.
80. “The sea does not like to be restrained.”
— Rick Riordan, ‘The Lightning Thief’.
81. “He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea.”
― Dr. Thomas Fuller.
82. “When I forget how talented God is, I look to the sea.”
― Whoopi Goldberg.
83. “It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.”
― Francis Drake.
84. There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea.”
― Joseph Conrad.
85. “I would not creep along the coast but steer
Out in mid-sea, by guidance of the stars.”
― George Eliot.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for ocean quotes then why not take a look at these fish quotes or [seashell quotes] too?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.