There are so many well known sayings, and many quotes that are not so well known, about the past, present and future.
In this article, we are going to take a deep dive into all of the best past quotes. Whilst quotes about the present explain the importance of enjoying the moment you are in and quotes about the future show the need to dream big and work towards your goals, past quotes can be really special too.
Today is the best time to take a trip down memory lane and enjoy these quotes about a time gone by. Some of these past quotes, discuss the importance of not dwelling on the past and living in the present moment. Others explain how nothing from the past has the power to hurt you unless you allow it to. They remind us that life is too short to hold on to past hurt and that we should live the present and enjoy it wholeheartedly. Other past quotes are a lovely way to reminisce and remember the past, and all of the happy memories we share.
So, from letting go of the past quotes that show that the past can't hurt you to remember the past quotes that will help you to reminisce, these past quotes have something for everyone to enjoy.
Once you've gone through these quotes, you can also check out these [past, present, future quotes] and be present quotes.
Living In The Past Quotes
Have a look at some famous past memories quotes and looking back quotes here.
1. "Letting yesterday affect today will only destroy the excitement of tomorrow."
- Michelle Cruz-Rosado.
2. "Procrastination is a way of living in the past instead of the present moment."
- Debasish Mridha.
3. "I’d wish it were easier to not allow other people’s pasts to create my own present."
- Jonathan Harnisch.
4. "The only reason time seems to be moving rather fast is that sometimes we’re too busy living in the past."
- Dominic Riccitello.
5. "The past cannot be cured."
- Elizabeth I.
6. "You can't have a better tomorrow if you're thinking about yesterday."
- Charles Kettering.
7. "Every cure for nostalgia is obsolete."
- Raheel Farooq.
8. "You can never plan the future by the past."
9. "I don't believe in yesterday, I believe in tomorrow. Whether it's positive or negative, the future is a new experience and not a ghostly replay of a time that was and can never be again."
- Stewart Stafford.
10. "Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday."
- Sarah Ban.
11. "You cannot change the past; you can only improve on the present."
- Michael Bassey.
12. "Memories are a nice place to visit, but a terrible place to live."
- Marty Rubin.
13. "I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go."
- Jeffrey McDaniel.
14. "We cannot move forward if we're always living in the past."
- Auryn Hadley.
15. "Sometimes letting go is simply changing the labels you place on an event."
- Steve Maraboli.
Moving On From The Past Quotes
Have look at famous quotes about the past and getting over the past. Quotes like this can help you to enjoy the present and the future without being held back by the past.
16. "Even a rock moves on."
- Anthony Liccione.
17. "Rehashing the past wouldn’t change anything. Time to move forward."
- Zena Wynn.
18. "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose."
19. "Last night I lost the world, and gained the universe."
- C. JoyBell.
20. "The answer to every adversity lies in courageously moving forward with faith."
- Edmond Mbiaka.
21. "If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them."
- Michael Bassey.
22. "Sooner or later we’ve all got to let go of our past."
- Dan Brown.
23. "Memory looks back in order to move forward."
- Marty Rubin.
24. "If it doesn’t agree with your spirit let it go."
- Germany Kent.
25. "I can’t take back the past, but I can fight for the future."
- Shannon A.
Remembering The Past Quotes
Here are few lines on remembering old events, as it isn't all about the future and the present, sometimes we can enjoy looking back on the past!
26. "The past can't hurt you anymore. Not unless you let it.”
― Alan Moore, 'V For Vendetta'.
27. "History left behind is like a bookmark in a classic."
- Nanette L.
28. "You must know the width of the knife and how it ruined you, name the organs it kissed."
- Olivia Gatwood, 'Life Of The Party'.
29. "Remembering something from the past? You are creating it right now as evidence for who you are now."
30. "The good and the beautiful is not forgotten; it lives in legend and in song."
- Hans Christian Andersen.
31. "The awful daring of a moment's surrender, which an age of prudence can never retract ..."
- T S Eliot.
32. "Remembering is redemption."
- RJ Blizzard.
33. "How simple tomorrow seems when there is nothing worth remembering."
- Laura Chouette.
Forget The Past Quotes
Forget the past and stop looking back with these quotes.
34. "In the process of letting go you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself."
- Deepak Chopra.
35. "The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it."
-Thomas S Monson.
36. "You can't reach for anything new if your hands are still full of yesterday's junk."
37. "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Past Relationship Quotes
Let's have a look at some quotations about remembering past relationships, letting go, and moving on.
38. "He loved me. He loved me, but he doesn't love me anymore, and it's not the end of the world."
39. "You must live through the time that everything hurts."
40. "Love doesn't erase the past, but it makes the future different."
41. "Just because you have a past with someone, doesn't mean you should have a future with them."
- Robert Tew.
42. "I haven't had that one great love, which is good. I don't want that to be in the past - I want it to be in the future."
- Taylor Swift.
43. "It's better to have loved and lost than to do forty pounds of laundry a week."
- Laurence J.
44. "Eyes, look your last! Arms, take your last embrace."
- William Shakespeare.
45. "I keep coming back to you in my head, but you couldn't know that, and I have no carbons."
- Adrienne Rich.
46. "To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose is the next best."
- William Makepeace Thackeray.
47. "Hearts live by being wounded."
- Oscar Wilde.
48. "He who has loved and who betrays love does harm not only to the image of the past but to the past itself."
- Theodor Adorno.
49. "You cannot miss what you have never had."
- Christopher Paolini.
50. "We are all trying to get over the person who broke our hearts. We are all far from perfect."
- Alex Rosa.
Past Mistakes Quotes
Let's have a look at how to let go of the past with these can't change the past quotes.
51. "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you."
- Lewis B. Smedes.
52 ."It's not good to dig in the past, raise the ghost up from the grave, and have it walk with the flesh."
- Anthony Liccione.
53. "Things you think you left behind may come before you again in the future! Do you need to be afraid? No! Just know that!"
- Mehmet Murat İldan.
54. "If you keep lookin' back, you gon' trip going forward."
- Gucci Mane.
55. "A man's judged by what he is and not what he was."
- Jack Caldwell.
56. "Take care not to welcome today the terrors that will make yesterday's demons look like angels."
- Joyce Rachelle.
57. "You're wiser than your last mistake. Congratulations!"
- Chinonye J Chidolue.
58. "Take care of all your memories. For you cannot relive them."
- Bob Dylan.
59. "Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories."
- Steven Wright.
60. "The richness of life lies in memories we have forgotten."
- Cesare Pavese.
61. "Some memories are unforgettable, remaining ever vivid and heartwarming!"
-Joseph B Wirthlin.
62. "The memories we make with our family are everything."
- Candace Cameron Bure.
63. "Ocean is more ancient than the mountains and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."
- H. P. Lovecraft.
64. "This is how memories are made... by going with the flow."
- Amanda Bynes.
65. "There is always a tension between the possibilities we aspire to and our wounded memories and past mistakes."
- Sean Brady.
More Quotes About Moving On
Have a look at these quotes about leaving the past behind and moving on. These quotes show that what is in the past has passed and we need to learn to move on from it.
66. "You will evolve past certain people. Let yourself."
- Mandy Hale.
67. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."
- American proverb.
68. "Life moves on and so should we."
- Spencer Johnson.
69. "The truth is, unless you let go, you cannot move forward."
- Steve Maraboli.
70. "Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward."
- Roy T. Bennett.
71. "You can’t look back – you just have to put the past behind you, and find something better in your future."
- Jodi Picoult.
72. "Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness."
- Steve Maraboli.
73. "Keeping baggage from the past will leave no room for happiness in the future."
- Wayne L Misner.
74. "Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for."
- Mandy Hale.
75. "God sometimes removes a person from your life for your protection. Don’t run after them."
- Rick Warren.
Quotes About Regret
Take a look at some blast from the past quotes about regrets and how the past affects the future here.
76. "The mistakes I've made are dead to me. But I can't take back the things I never did."
77. "Don’t waste your time in anger, regrets, worries, and grudges. Life is too short to be unhappy."
- Roy T Bennett.
78. "Regret is mostly caused by not having done anything."
- Charles Bukowski.
79. "Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven't done."
- Chad Michael.
80. "If I'm sincere today, what does it matter if I regret it tomorrow?"
- José Saramago.
81. "Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, 'It might have been.'"
- Kurt Vonnegut.
82. "You might be looking for reasons but there are no reasons."
- Nina LaCour.
83. "Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."
- Arthur Miller.
84. "If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world."
- Mercedes Lackey.
85. "There are so many things that I want so badly to tell you but I just can't."
- Nina LaCour.
86. "Heartbreak could be lived with if it weren't accompanied by regret."
- Laura Kasischke.
87. "They were involved in that awkward procedure of getting to unknow each other."
- John Irving.
88. "'No trouble ever got fixed late at night,' he said. 'Midnight is for regrets.'"
- Holly Black.
89. "The only victories which leave no regret are those which are gained over ignorance."
90. "You can't regret the life you didn't lead."
- Junot Díaz.
91. "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
― Søren Kierkegaard.
92. "My soul is not a palace of the past."
- James Russell.
93. "Faith doesn't mean that you don't have doubts."
- Barack Obama.
94. "No man is rich enough to buy back his past."
- Oscar Wilde.
95. "Ignore reality, there's nothing you can do about it."
- Natalie Imbruglia.
96. "Let the dead Past bury its dead!"
- Henry Wadsworth.
97. "Here’s to the Future, because I’m done with the Past."
98. "Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger."
- Friedrich Nietzsche.
99. "Let go of the past, but keep the lessons it taught you."
- Chiara Gizzi.
100. "Let every day be the first day of the rest of your life."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 100 of the best past quotes to help you move on, then why not take a look at these trust the process quotes or you got this quotes too?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at email@example.com.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.