Prince Rogers Nelson was an American singer, songwriter, dancer, and musician.
Prince is widely recognized as one of the greatest musicians of his generation. His style of music was known as flamboyant, with a wide vocal range and high-pitched screams.
At the age of 19, Prince signed a recording contract with Warner Bros. Records. He then went on to achieve massive success with innovative albums like ‘Dirty Mind’ (1980), ‘Controversy’ (1981), and ‘1999’ (1982). ‘Purple Rain’ (1984) which was his sixth album and had his best-selling song 'When Doves Cry' on it, spent six consecutive months at the top of the Billboard 200.
He sold over 150 million records globally which ranked him among the best-selling music artists of all time. His accolades include an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award, a Grammy President’s Merit Award, and the Billboard Icon Award. He has been included in the Hall of Fame of many music related institutions where his legacy still lives on.
We have gathered the best Prince quotes from the iconic singer here for you! If you like these Prince quotes and are looking for more related content take a look at these [Freddie Mercury quotes] and [David Bowie quotes] too! For now though, let's get started with these great Prince quotes.
Prince Quotes About Life
Great Prince quotes about love, life, and everything in between can be found in this list of Prince quotes.
1. “Despite everything, no one can dictate who you are to other people.”
2. “Every day I feel is a blessing from God. And I consider it a new beginning. Yeah, everything is beautiful.”
3. “I’ve grown up, everyone has got to grow up. But there’s something inside me, I’m always going to have that little sort of – how do you say? – child streak.”
4. “I don’t really care so much what people say about me because it usually is a reflection of who they are.”
5. “I want to tell people to create. Just start by creating your day. Then create your life.”
6. “I want to make heart decisions in business. If you can’t do that, you’re not free. I want to be able to dictate which way I’m going to go.”
7. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life.”
8. “I used to have seizures when I was young. My mother and father didn’t know what to do or how to handle it but they did the best they could with what little they had.”
9. “In the tech-savvy, real-time world we all live in today, everything is faster.”
10. “I don’t live in the past. I don’t play my old records for that reason. I make a statement, then move on to the next.”
11. “People who have no creativity, talent, or courage are the ones who follow the rules. Be brave, be bold, step up and make your own! The passion that lies inside of you means you don't need to follow the pack, because you transcend it.”
12. “Everyone has their own experience. That’s why we are here, to go through our experience, to learn, to go down those paths.”
13. “People speculate on your personal life all the time anyway. So I just think it's important to keep my private life private and my public persona more into music, you know?”
14. “Cool means being able to hang with yourself.”
15. “Success can also cause misery. The trick is not to be surprised when you discover it doesn't bring you all the happiness and answers you thought it would.”
16. “Always cry for love, never cry for pain.”
17. “Compassion is an action word with no boundaries.”
18. “Any charitable act is love in motion, and love needs no publicity because love just is.”
Famous Prince Quotes
Still looking for more Prince quotes? Some of the most famous Prince lines and sayings can be found here. These Prince quotes go a little way to show Prince’s awesomeness!
19. “Music is real. It affects people; it’s real.”
20. “A strong spirit transcends rules.”
21. “Time is something we created in order to measure the span of our lives. It’s not meant to create fear in you or paralyze you from moving forward. You are never too old and it is never too late to start over.”
22. “To create something from nothing is one of the greatest feelings, and I would - I don’t know, I wish it upon everybody. It's heaven.”
23. “If you ever lose someone dear to you, never say the words they’re gone. They'll come back.”
24. “I had a massive ego. Massive. But that’s not such a bad thing. Because at least you’re aspiring to be something.”
25. “So much has been written about me, and people don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong. I’d rather let them stay confused.”
26. “I have a very thick skin. I take everything that comes and let it bounce right off me because I know the time will come when nobody will be able to speak falsely.”
27. “You decide how you view the world each day. Choose to make it inspired!”
28. “Art is about building a new foundation, not just laying something on top of what’s already there.”
29. “Time is a mind construct. It's not real.”
30. “Everyone has a rock bottom.”
31. “I pushed the envelope as far as it needed to be pushed, and now it's on the floor, and people seem to want it to stay there.”
32. “People say I’m wearing heels because I’m short. I wear heels because the women like ‘em.”
33. “I think you’ll always be able to do what your ear tells you.”
34. “Sometimes it takes years for a person to become an overnight success.”
35. “Don’t hate me because I’m fabulous.”
36. “I like constructive criticism from smart people.”
37. “I don’t talk to old people; they try to find ways to stay static. Young folks are the ones with the ideas and constantly moving forward.”
38. “Money won't buy you happiness, but it'll pay for the search.”
Prince Quotes About Music
Find the best Prince musician quotes and sayings about the music industry. Which of these Prince quotes is your favorite?
39. “You don’t need a record company to turn you into anything.”
40. “Just sharing music with each other - that’s cool. It’s the selling that becomes the problem.”
41. “When I started playing music, people weren’t selling 5 million records. That was not the standard; that was not the focus.”
42. “You can’t understand the words of Cocteau Twins songs, but their harmonies put you in a dreamlike state.”
43. “The music, for me, doesn’t come on a schedule. I don’t know when it’s going to appear, and when it does, I want it out.”
44. “The hardest thing with musicians is getting them not to play.”
45. “Most bands out there are basically pretty boring. I try to affect people inside their bodies.”
46. “I don’t know who was the one that came up with the notion that you have to play the same songs every concert.”
47. “The key to longevity is to learn every aspect of music that you can.”
48. “The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.”
49. “You can always tell when the groove is working or not.”
50. “I’ve never stopped writing, never stopped recording.”
51. “There’s not a lot of pop music in the mainstream that makes you feel scared, that makes you wonder what's happening.”
52. “When Doves Cry came out – it sounded like nothing that was on the radio. ‘Let’s Go Crazy’ was number one on R&B stations, and there’s nothing that’s been like that on radio since.”
53. “I would tell any young artist… don’t sign.”
Prince Quotes From Songs
Are you ready for the final installment of Prince quotes? Here are some of the best Prince song quotes to follow the rhythm! Which of these Prince quotes from lyrics is your favorite?
54. “Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry.”
― Prince, Song: ‘When Doves Cry’, Album: ‘Purple Rain’.
55. “I am yours now and you are mine
And together we’ll love through
All space and time.”
― Prince, Song: ‘7’, Album: ‘7’.
56. “Cause in this life
Things are much harder than in the afterworld
In this life
You're on your own.”
― Prince, Song: ‘Let’s Go Crazy’, Album: ‘Purple Rain’.
57. “I'm not a human
I am a dove
I'm your conscience
I am love
All I really need is to know that you believe.”
― Prince, Song: ‘I Would Die 4 U’, Album: ‘Purple Rain’.
58. “She knew how to get her kicks
She wore a... Raspberry beret.”
― Prince, Song: ‘Raspberry Beret’, Album: ‘Around the World in a Day’.
59. “I’d like to think that I’m a man of exquisite taste
A hundred percent Italian silk, imported Egyptian lace.”
― Prince, Song: ‘Adore’, Album: ‘Sign "O" the Times’.
60. “But life is just a party
And parties weren’t meant to last.”
― Prince, Song: ‘1999’, Album: ‘1999’.
61. “You own my heart and mind, I truly adore you
― Prince, Song: ‘Adore’, Album: ‘Sign “O” the Times’.
62. “There’s always a rainbow at the end of every rain.”
- Prince, Song: ‘Papa’, Album: ‘Come’
63. “If you ever lose someone dear to you
never say the words,
and they'll come back.”
― Prince, Song: ‘Comeback’, Album: ‘Crystal Ball’.
64. “Life is just a game,
we’re all just the same…
do you wanna play?”
― Prince, Song: ‘Controversy’, Album: ‘Controversy’.
65. “Paint a perfect picture
Bring to life
The vision in one’s mind
The beautiful ones
Always smash the picture
Always, every time.”
― Prince, Song: ‘The Beautiful Ones’, Album: ‘Purple Rain’.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Prince quotes then why not take a look at these [Madonna quotes] or Stevie Nicks quotes to discover new quotes every day?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.