Regretting is an integral part of the human experience and, in other words, it means repentance.
A person regrets an event or an act that doesn't follow their intentions or even their principles. It could also be something the person wishes to achieve or wished to achieve in the past but could not.
Regret can be crippling but every one of us requires a little bit of inspiration to look beyond the regret. Here are some amazing regret quotes or inspirational quotes that will rid you of regret.
Inspirational Quotes About Regretting
Here are few regret quotes to inspire you.
1. “There are two kinds of guilt: the kind that drowns you until you’re useless, and the kind that fires your soul to purpose.”
- Sabaa Tahir.
2. “We all do things we desperately wish we could undo. Those regrets just become part of who we are, along with everything else.”
- Libba Bray.
3. “Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.”
- Henry David Thoreau.
4. “If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.”
- Mercedes Lackey.
5. “If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.”
- Chinese Proverb.
6. “Regret is like tears seeping through closed eyelids.”
- Galway Kinnell.
7. “If you aren't in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret.”
- Jim Carrey.
8. “I don’t regret anything. I did everything absolutely correctly.”
- Vladimir Putin.
9. “It's better to look ahead and prepare, than to look back and regret.”
- Jackie Joyner Kersee.
10. “Sure, you wish you did some things differently. But there is no sense in becoming burdened with regret over things you have no power to change.”
11. “Don’t waste your time in anger, regrets, worries, and grudges. Life is too short to be unhappy.”
- Roy T. Bennett.
12. “Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.”
13. “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.”
- Shannon L. Alder.
14. “The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again I'd make all the same mistakes - only sooner.”
- Tallulah Bankhead.
15. “To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity.”
16. “Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.”
- Jonathan Larson.
17. “Regret is an uneven hand, a rough palm at the cheek - tender and calloused.”
- Lorna Dee Cervantes.
18. “Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy, you can't build on it it's only good for wallowing in.”
- Katherine Mansfield.
19. “It’s nice to look back on your life and see things as lessons, and not regrets.”
20. “I don't have nothing to regret at all in the past, except that I might've unintentionally hurt somebody else or something.”
- Jimi Hendrix.
Famous Regret Quotes
Here are some famous regret quotes on life.
21. “Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”
- Fulton Oursler.
22. “As Repentance follows Crime,
And as changes follow Time.”
- Percy Bysshe Shelley.
23. “Regret is like a mountain top from which we survey our dead life.”
- George Moore.
24.“The longer our trail of regrets, the more we tend to value the importance of making wise decisions.”
- Bob Santos.
25. “My goal in life is to make decisions that minimize regrets. I don't regret anything I've done.”
- Jake Pavelka.
26. “A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.”
- John Barrymore.
27. “Remorse is the poison of life.”
- Charlotte Bronte.
28. “In history as in human life, regret does not bring back a lost moment and a thousand years will not recover something lost in a single hour.”
- Stefan Zweig.
29. “I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.”
- Rita Mero.
30. “Life is too short, time is too precious, and the stakes are too high to dwell on what might have been.”
- Hilary Clinton.
31. “My only regret about money is that I don't have more to give away.”
- John C. Bogle.
32. “I think I don’t regret a single ‘excess’ of my responsive youth – I only regret, in my chilled age, certain occasions and possibilities I didn’t embrace.”
- Henry James.
33. “Something you need most might be something you turn away from, something you turn away from might be something you regret... might cost you the one chance you ever had.”
- Brian Judge.
34. “Regrets are idle; yet history is one long regret. Everything might have turned out so differently.”
- Charles Dudley Warner.
35. “Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.”
- Sydney J. Harris.
36. “We don’t have to be defined by the things we did or didn’t do in our past. Some people allow themselves to be controlled by regret. Maybe it’s a regret, maybe it’s not. It’s merely something that happened. Get over it.”
- Pittacus Lore.
37. “It’s regrets that make painful memories. When I was crazy I did everything just right.”
- Mark Vonnegut.
38. “I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
- Lucille Ball.
39. “Spend time with those you love. One of these days you will say either, 'I wish I had,' or 'I'm glad I did.'”
- Zig Ziglar.
40. “Regrets hold us back from achieving our goals.”
- Sipho P Nkosi.
Regret Quotes About Love
Here are some regret quotes about love that will move you.
41. “Hurting people you love is the heaviest kind of regret.”
- Charlotte Eriksson.
42. “When I fall, let me fall without regret like a leaf.”
- Wendell Berry.
43. “You could be happy and I won't know
But you weren't happy the day I watched you go...
...Most of what I remember makes me sure
I should have stopped you from walking out the door”
- Snow Patrol, 'You Could Be Happy'.
44. “We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.”
- Walter Anderson.
45. “Think of your family today and every day thereafter, don’t let the busy world of today keep you from showing how much you love and appreciate your family.”
46. “Once beneath the stars
The universe was ours
Love was all we knew
And all I knew was you...”
- The Moody Blues, 'Your Wildest Dreams'.
47. “As long as you feel good in something, it doesn't matter what other people think. You just have to own it. You'll never regret wearing something you really love.”
- Lucy Boynton.
48. “Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.”
- Albert Camus.
49. “How was I supposed to know
She was slowly letting go..”
- Toby Keith, 'She Never Cried In Front of Me'.
50. “There was something in everything about you
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just can't live without you...”
- Player, 'Baby Come Back'.
Never Looking Back Regret Quotes
We’ve got some 'never look back and move on from regret' quotes.
51. “Do not look back upon what has been done. Go ahead!”
- Swami Vivekananda.
52. “Don’t look back unless it’s a good view.”
- Tupac Shakur.
53. “I walk slowly, but I never walk backward.”
- Abraham Lincoln.
54. “I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.”
- Edna Mode, 'The Incredibles'.
55. “Start wide, expand further, and never look back.”
- Arnold Schwarzenegger.
56. “Never look back unless you are planning to go that way.”
- Henry David Thoreau.
57. “You turned your back on tomorrow because you forgot yesterday.”
- Maroon 5, 'Payphone'.
58. “You run away, you could turn and stay
But you run away from me...”
- Barenaked Ladies, 'You Run Away'.
59. “Don’t look back and ask, Why? Look ahead and ask, Why not?”
- Neil Patel.
60. “I have no regrets. I wouldn't have lived my life the way I did if I was going to worry about what people were going to say.”
- Ingrid Bergman.
Quotes About Regretting Trust
Here are some quotes about regretting trusting someone deeply one day and then facing the regret.
61. “Love is nothing without any action. Trust is nothing without proof. Regret is nothing without change.”
62. “Our song on the radio but it don't sound the same
When our friends talk about you, all it does is just tear me down
'Cause my heart breaks a little when I hear your name"
- Bruno Mars, 'When I Was Your Man'.
63. “I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret.”
- Reki Kawahara.
64. “Maybe I've forgotten
The name and the address
Of everyone I've ever known
It's nothing I regret...”
- New Order, 'Regret'.
65. “I've skirted all my differences
But now I'm facing up
I wanted to apologize for
Everything I was so...”
- R.E.M, 'The Apologist'.
66. “If one good deed in all my life I did, I do repent it from my very soul.”
- William Shakespeare, 'Titus Andronicus'.
67. “Broken trust forces us, first, to acknowledge a painful reality we may have chosen to ignore, then, to make some difficult decisions.”
- Dr. Jane Greer.
68. “It is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust.”
- Samuel Johnson.
69. “For trust not him that hath once broken faith.”
- William Shakespeare, 'Henry VI', Part 3.
70. “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.”
- Albert Einstein.
Motivational Regret Quotes
Here are some quotes to keep you motivated.
71. “Every step towards your dream today is a step away from your regret tomorrow.”
- Steve Maraboli.
72. “Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven't done.”
- Chad Michael Murray.
73. “The past could always be annihilated. Regret, denial, or forgetfulness could do that. But the future was inevitable.”
- Oscar Wilde.
74. “Living with regrets was like driving a car that only moved in reverse.”
- Jodi Picoult.
75. “There was a long hard time when I kept far from me the remembrance of what I had thrown away when I was quite ignorant of its worth.”
- Charles Dickens.
76. “What I've done
I'll face myself
To cross out what I've become
And let go of what I've done”
- Linkin Park, 'What I've Done'.
77. “Never look back and regret, look back and smile at what you have learned.”
- Michelle C. Ustaszeski.
78. “We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here now with the power to shape your day and your future.”
- Steve Maraboli.
79. "There is no remorse so deep as that which is unavailing; if we would be spared its tortures, let us remember this, in time."
- Charles Dickens.
80. “No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future.”
- Roy Bennett.
Regret Quotes About Mistakes
Here we have some quotes on mistakes that we regret.
81. “Do not brood over your past mistakes and failures as this will only fill your mind with grief, regret and depression. Do not repeat them in the future.”
- Swami Sivananda.
82. “I do repent; but heaven hath pleas'd it so
To punish me with this, and this with me,
That I must be their scourge and minister.”
- William Shakespeare, 'Hamlet'.
83. “The mistakes I've made are dead to me. But I can't take back the things I never did.”
- Jonathan Safran Foer.
84. “Don't regret your mistakes. You'll always make mistakes. The better you are, the less mistakes you make. The only way to get better is to thoroughly analyze your mistakes.”
- James Altucher.
84. “We should regret our mistakes and learn from them, but never carry them forward into the future with us.”
- Lucy Maud Montgomery.
85. “I don't have many regrets. I regret mistakes, particularly those that damage other people, and we've all made some of those. But I'm not sad about change.”
- John Gutfreund.
86. “I'm trying this thing where I don't regret as much 'cause it doesn't really work that well to regret things.”
- James Arthur.
87. “What's done cannot be undone”
- William Shakespeare, 'Macbeth'.
88. “We all make mistakes in life that's true. Some little, some big, some simple and some more complex. Some mistakes we regret forever.”
- Rashard Royster.
89. “A good heart is better than all the heads in the world.”
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
90. “If you ever react with anger, it will overtake you. You will say something or do something you regret.”
- Rhonda Hart.
Let Go Of Regret Quotes
These are a few let go of regret quotes that would enlighten your day. If you regret something you said, maybe these regret quotes will help you out.
91. “When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed.”
- Linkin Park, 'Leave Out All The Rest'.
92. “You suggested that we bury the bone
Remember this reminder when you start to get cold
You think you'll only mind
Just wait until you're old
Just say you're sorry.”
- The Black Crowes, 'Just Say You're Sorry'.
93. “I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It’s okay if you have to leave us. It’s okay if you want to stop fighting.”
- Alexandria DaCosta
94. “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it.”
- Rafiki, 'The Lion King'.
95. “I'll find my way
Through night and day
'Cause I know I just can't stay
Here in heaven”
- Eric Clapton, 'Tears In Heaven'.
96. “In my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be”
- Beatles, 'Let It Be'.
97. “Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore...”
- Idina Menzel, 'Let It Go'.
All the hurt inside you've learned to hide so well
Someone else can come and save me from myself
I can't be who you are...”
- Linkin Park, 'Leave Out All The Rest'.
99. “When I let go then I found life.”
- Hillsong Young & Free, 'Let Go'.
100. “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
- David R. Hawkins.
* Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for quotes on regretting then why not take a look at quotes about living your best life, or quotes about overcoming obstacles.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.