Did you know the word "pluviophile" means someone who loves rain?
We all know that rain is great for the Earth. It provides us with fresh water to drink, helps farmers grow crops, keeps everything green and fresh, and is great fun for little ones to splash about in.
But did you know that without rain, most of our planet would be like a desert? Rain is part of a part of the weather system called precipitation, which includes any form of water that falls to the Earth-like rain, snow, drizzle, hail and sleet. What's more, one droplet of water spends on average around eight days in suspension before falling back to Earth as rain! Interestingly it also rains on other planets in the solar system, but differently to what it does here on Earth.
As winter draws in and we start to get cozy inside what better way to settle with some rain and weather-related jokes?
So, if you're learning about the rain with your kids, why not tie in some light-hearted jokes about rain and British weather jokes? Here at Kidadl we love rain jokes, and we gladly present the "raining" champions of the funniest rain jokes for kids. There's no doubt as to "weather" you'll enjoy these jokes about rain!
Why? Rain Jokes
Be sure to check out our classic "why" funny rain jokes and see which one brings a smile to your face. From why sailors eat shellfish, to why you shouldn't pick a fight with a raincloud, take a look here at these funny rain jokes. What's more we have even thrown in some jokes about British weather and the best cloud jokes.
1. Why did the woman open her purse in the park? She expected to find some change in the weather.
2. Why do sailors eat shellfish when rain is forecast? Because It's the clam before the storm.
3. Why did the man go outside and put ketchup in the rain? Because it's raining cats and hot dogs.
4. Why shouldn't you fight with a rain cloud? He'll storm out on you.
5. Why were the rain and the lightning bolt in the news? Are you sure you want to know… it's shocking!
6. Why does Santa have a huge umbrella? Because of all the rain, dear.
7. Why did the young rain cloud always get into trouble? It never took anything cirrus-ly.
8. Why is Britain the wettest country? Because royalty has reigned there for centuries.
9. Why didn't the light rain hit the target? It just mists.
10. Why is wind power more popular than rain? Because it has a lot of fans!
Classic Rain Jokes
Here we have compiled our top general rain jokes for kids including some hilarious weatherman jokes and few general jokes about weather.
11. What is the king's favorite weather? Hail.
12. What does a raincloud wear under his raincoat? Thunder wear.
13. If a band is playing music and a thunderstorm hits, who is most likely to get hit by lightning? The conductor of course.
14. What is hail? Hard-boiled rain.
15. How did you find all that rain on your vacation? Well, we just went outside, and there it was.
16. Why did the weatherman take leave from work after breaking both arms and both legs? He was having trouble working with the four casts.
17. What did the ancient Roman weatherman say when his emperor asked for a forecast? Hail, Caesar
18. What do you call the weatherman who really likes to eat steak? A meateaterologist.
19. What did the really thirsty weatherman say to his colleague? I need my thermos-stat!
20. What did one raindrop say to the other little raindrop? Two is company and three's a cloud.
21. What's the difference between rain and climate? You can't rain a tree, but you can climate.
22. When does it rain money? When there’s a change in the weather.
23. What did one raindrop say as it ran off the road? This is a grate day.
24. Why should it rain money? Because it makes cents.
25. What does a spy do when it's raining? He goes undercover.
26. What type of cloud is really lazy, because it will never get up in the morning? Fog.
27. Why do raindrops like lightning at night? Because they can see where they are going.
28. What happens when the fog lifts in California? UCLA.
29. What did the evaporating raindrop say? I'm going to pieces.
30. Why did the weatherman blush? He saw climate change.
31. Why was the weatherman so stressed? Because the job is full of high pressure.
32. Did you hear about the meteorologist competition? The losers received precipitation trophies.
33. What happens to wizards when it's raining? They get wet just like everyone else.
34. How did the skeleton know that it was going to rain? He could feel it in his bones.
Rain And Animal Jokes
Everyone of all ages adores jokes about animals, from classic cow jokes to grizzly bears, raining cats and dogs, take a look at these animal jokes with a funny rain twist. Read on to find out the difference between a horse and the weather! These are the the ultimate rainy day jokes, we didn't forget jokes about cats and dogs.
35. What's gray, stands in a river when it rains and doesn't get wet? An elephant with an umbrella.
36. What is the wettest animal at the North Pole? The rain-deer.
37. Why do mother kangaroos hate it when the rain comes? Because their kids have to play inside.
38. What might happen when it is raining cats and dogs? You might end up stepping in a poodle one day.
39. What's the difference between a horse and the weather? One is reined up for a while and the other rains down.
40. What do you call it when it starts to rain ducks and chickens? Seriously foul weather.
41. Why do cows always lie on each other in the rain? To keep each udder dry.
42. Can bees fly when it's raining? Not without their little yellow jackets.
43. What do you call a big grizzly bear caught in the rain? A really drizzly bear.
Knock Knock Rain Jokes
Knock Knock jokes are simply timeless, and they cover just about every topic imaginable, including rain. When it comes to bad weather jokes, take a look at our funny rain selection here and see which one causes you to giggle the most.
44. Knock, knock!
Accordion to the Weather Channel, it's going to rain tomorrow!
45. Knock, knock?
A gust of wind over 74mph could be the start of a hurricane.
46. Knock Knock
Butter bring an umbrella. It looks like it might start raining.
47. Knock Knock
Rain dear, you know, Rudolph the Red Nose Rain Dear!
48. Knock Knock
Wendy today; cloudy tomorrow.
49. Knock Knock
Lettuce in, it's raining outside.
50. Knock Knock
Hurry! Cane you run away from the storm?
Jokes About Umbrellas
Umbrellas aren't exempt from some hilarious wet jokes, try and memorize your favorites. These are guaranteed to cause some serious giggles when there's a sudden change in the weather.
51. What do you call a parrot with an umbrella on a rainy day? Polly unsaturated.
52. What goes up in the sky when the rain comes down? An umbrella.
53. Why did the umbrella go to the doctor? It was feeling slightly under the weather.
Stormy weather, lightning and hurricanes offer some great jokes for kids. If your little one is afraid of bad weather and thunderstorms, jokes are a great way to lighten the mood when the rain comes.
54. How do hurricanes see? With one eye
55. What do lightning bolts do when they laugh? They crack up.
56. Why is it really difficult to sneak up on a hurricane? Because they're always turning around.
57. What's a tornado's favorite game? Twister.
58. Why was the sky not happy on clear days? It had the blues.
59. What did one big tornado say to the other little tornado? Let's go ahead and twist again like we did last summer.
60. What do hurricanes most like to order for dessert? Candy canes.
61. Who was the meteorologist's favorite relative? His anti-cyclone.
62. What do you call it when you a cross a classic card game with a hurricane? Bridge over troubled water.
63. Why do hurricanes move so fast? Because if they moved slowly, we'd have to call them slow-i-canes
64. What kind of lightning likes to play sports? Ball lightning
65. How do lightning bolts laugh? They crack up.
66. Did you see the new movie about a tornado? It's got a great twist.
67. Why do you have to act quickly during a flood? Because it's an emergent sea.
Not just associated with science, myths and legends, rainbows also provide great inspiration for funny jokes. Where there's rain, not far away you can usually find a beautiful rainbow. Here are our best rainy rainbow jokes.
68. What's rain's favorite accessory? A rainbow
69. What do you call a big rainbow without any colors? A plain bow.
70. What do you find at the end of a rainbow? A "W"
71. What did the rainbow say to the pot of gold? You'll be the end of me.
72. Where do bad rainbows go? Prism.
73. What did the baby find at the end of the rainbow? A potty gold.
74. How does the rain tie its shoes? Using a rainbow.
Dayna grew up in rural Devon speaking three languages at home, she is the definition of a ‘linguaphile’! After studying Speech Therapy and Psychology at the University of Reading, she now works as a Speech and Language Therapist specialising in early intervention for children with special educational needs. She also works with adults and teenagers who have dysfluency. When she’s not supporting children and families within schools and her clinic, she’s out exploring with her own kids. She has worked extensively overseas and is the editor of an inflight magazine for Air Malta.