A Rodeo is a contest in which the cowboys show their skills by riding on a horse or on other cattle.
A sporting event that involves horses and other livestock, Rodeo is designed to check the talent and speed of cowboys and cowgirls. Contemporary rodeos present five main events.
Two of these, saddle-bronc riding and calf roping, represent the sensible varying skills of the 19th-century cowboy. Three different primary contests—bareback-bronc riding, steer wrestling, and bull riding—appeared as feats of cowboy daring throughout the twentieth century's primary decades. As of today, most distinguished rodeos conjointly embrace women’s barrel sport and team roping as regular program events. Heading and heeling, commonly known as Team Roping, is a rodeo event that features two mounted horseback riders and a steer. Roping is a well-known rodeo event originating in the early cow-wrangling days and very popular to date.
There are two types of competitions: 'judged' events and the second, 'timed' events. In the former, judges score contestants and animals' performance for a possible total tally of a hundred points per ride. Within the latter events, competitors race against the clock through a series of go-rounds for the quickest accumulative time.
Rodeos for several years featured competitive events that are no longer a part of the program. Most outstanding among those were trick and fancy roping and trick riding. Some rodeos still present those skills, however, as contract instead of as competitive events. Although girls competed in several rough-stock events at mixed-gender rodeos well before the 1930s, they pursued these contests in rodeos organized by the Women’s skilled Rodeo Association (WPRA), supported in 1948. Barrel racing is the sole women’s event often practiced at the most PRCA-sanctioned rodeos.
Here on our page, you can find the best rodeo quotes and sayings that we have collected just for you. If you like any rodeo quote in this series, you may also like to read these [cowboy quotes] and 'Three Amigos' quotes.
Best Quotes About Rodeo
Here are some famous rodeo quotes for our budding young cowgirls and cowboys.
1. "When I am at the rodeo I find it difficult not to root for the animals."
- Demetri Martin.
2. "Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo, the trick is to ride and make it to the bell."
- John Fogerty.
3. "There is no better place to heal a broken heart than on the back of a horse."
- Missy Lyons.
4. "They give me the chaps and hat and everything. I looked like a real cowboy. I walked around the rodeo and thought, I am a real cowboy and thought everyone thought I was a real cowboy."
- Michael Biehn.
5. "That was the trouble with explaining with words. If you explained with gunpowder, people listened."
- Dean F. Wilson.
6. "Rodeo is about life lessons, and not just about belt buckles and winning. There is so much you can learn from a horse and a cow that you can't learn from football."
- Jim Wakefield.
7. "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway!"
- John Wayne.
8. "Like a rodeo round and round and up and down we go. Some days it's a battle just to stay up in the saddle."
- Paul Overstreet.
9. "A good old rodeo never hurt anyone."
- Taylor Kitsch.
10. "I think that no matter what you do for work, whether you rodeo, whether you work in an office, you work in the oilfield or you play music for a living, eventually if you do enough of it, the devil in the back of your head tries to turn it into work. You have to find new ways to make it new and make it exciting to keep that drive there."
- Cody Johnson.
11."Rodeo riders are the last of the true chivalrous groups of people. It's a place where the competition is really pure."
- Scott Glenn.
12. "With horses, familiarity breeds comfort. If you haven't been around horses for a while (or ever), the best thing to do is to go to the racetrack, a horse show, a rodeo, or some other horsey activity, and see the horses. Familiarize yourself with the way they move and behave themselves."
- Jane Smiley.
13. "No heaven can heaven be, if my horse isn’t there to welcome me."
14. "A horse gallops with his lungs, Perseveres with his heart, And wins with his character."
15. "Eight seconds is a chance of fame."
16. "I’ve often said there is nothing better for the inside of the man, than the outside of the horse."
- Ronald Reagan.
17. "It's the ropes and the reins, and the joy and the pain. And they call the thing rodeo."
- Garth Brooks.
Inspiring And Funny Rodeo Quotes
Here you can find some amusing rodeo quotes that are also meaningful. These rodeo quotes might help you live your life to the fullest.
18. "There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse."
- Robert Smith Surtees.
19. "A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger then a man on foot."
- John Steinbeck.
20. "No ifs, ands, or bucks."
21. "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle."
- Winston Churchill.
22. "It seems a fine line between being a matador and being a rodeo clown"
- Jase Robertson.
23. "The only person crazier than a cowboy is the woman that dates him."
- Rachel Short.
24. "To stop the bull from charging, seize his credit card."
25. "Rodeo careers can end without warning, as quick as the next try at an eight-second ride."
- John Branch.
26. "Find someone who loves you the way a cowboy loves rodeo."
27. "I think about rodeo every day. I miss it. It's what gave me purpose."
- Brady Jandreau.
28. "Rodeo be like up and down. 'Bout to show you how I throw down."
- The Isley Brothers.
29. "For one to fly, one needs only to take the reins."
- Melissa James.
30. "I’d rather ride on a Mustang, than in one."
- BaileyAnn Neal.
31. "Life's a rodeo and all you have to do is stay in the saddle."
- George Jung.
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for rodeo quotes then why not take a look at [cowgirl quotes], or funny football quotes?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.