The awareness of one's strengths and weaknesses can be defined as self-acceptance.
True self-awareness is embracing who you are, and that should come without any conditions or exceptions. Knowing oneself is the purest form of love.
Self-acceptance differs in people with different mental fortitude. Some might have low self-acceptance, and some might have higher. Low self-acceptance is a direct result of having low self-esteem, which can be traced back to childhood experiences. Knowing about yourself, your strengths and weaknesses is a great way to improve yourself and your life. In simple words: self-acceptance is seeing through your failings, accepting and acknowledging your present position while trying to improve yourself.
Self-acceptance can also be categorized into self-approval, self-affection, self-kindness, self-love and and self-recognition.
For more related content, check out be true to yourself quotes and [focus on yourself quotes].
Some of the very best quotes about self-acceptance and seeing yourself in a new light.
1. “The first step in this process of mindfulness is radical self-acceptance.”
― Stephen Batchelor.
2. “Nothing I accept about myself can be used against me to diminish me.”
3. “Nothing brings down walls as surely as acceptance.”
― Deepak Chopra.
4. “What self-acceptance does is open up more possibilities of succeeding because you aren’t fighting yourself along the way.”
― Shannon Ables.
5. “Change is possible, but it must start with self-acceptance.”
― Alexander Lowen.
6. “My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations.”
― Michael J. Fox.
7. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
― Lao Tzu.
8. “The courage to be is the courage to accept oneself, in spite of being unacceptable.”
― Paul Tillich.
9. “I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.”
― Brené Brown.
10. “When you stop living your life based on what others think of you real life begins. At that moment, you will finally see the door of self-acceptance opened.”
― Shannon L. Alder.
11. “Being authentic begins with unconditional self-acceptance – imperfections and all.”
― Azim Jamal and Brian Tracy.
12. “Self-acceptance begets acceptance from others, which begets even deeper, more genuine self-acceptance. It can be done. But no one is going to bestow it on you. It is a gift only you can give yourself.”
― Camryn Manheim.
13. “Acceptance doesn’t mean resignation; it means understanding that something is what it is and that there’s got to be a way through it.”
― Michael J. Fox.
14. “Everything begins with accepting oneself. Without self-acceptance, one cannot accomplish anything.”
― Xuan-Thu Nguyen.
15. “Instead of trying to mend me, I decided to enjoy me. Instead of trying to solve me, I decided to discover me. It was one of the best decisions of my life.”
— S.C. Laurie.
16. “For after all, the best thing one can do when it is raining, is to let it rain.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
17. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh.
18. “If a person lacks self-acceptance, he can't live with himself; if he lacks self-criticism, others can't live with him.”
― James Pike.
19. “Accept yourself: flaws, quirks, talents, secret thoughts, all of it, and experience true liberation.”
― Amy Leigh Mercree.
20. “I think once I kind of got to a place of self-acceptance, looking past all the insecurities that I have, I've really grown so much as a person.”
― Shannon Purser.
Great quotes about loving yourself and leaving doubts and worries behind you.
21. “I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to love myself there.”
— Rune Lazuli.
22. “You can’t build joy on a feeling of self-loathing.”
― Ram Dass.
23. “I love myself for I am a beloved child of the universe and the universe lovingly takes care of me now.”
24. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
25. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
― Lucille Ball.
26. “I love myself enough to not only make a promise to myself, but I love myself enough to keep that promise.”
― Steve Maraboli.
27. “To say I love you one must know first how to say the I.”
― Ayn Rand.
28. “Friendship with oneself is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt.
29. “I have never found anybody who could stand to accept the daily demonstrative love I feel in me, and give back as good as I give.”
― Sylvia Plath.
30. “Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.”
—Veronica A. Shoffstall.
31. “Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.”
― John Heywood.
32. “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.”
― Brené Brown.
33. “Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.”
34. “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward.”
― Roy Bennett.
35. “In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.”
— Andrea Dykstra.
36. “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.”
― Charles Bukowski.
37. “Self-love seems so often unrequited.”
― Anthony Powell.
38. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
― Sharon Salzberg.
39. “Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting.”
— William Shakespeare, ‘Henry V’.
40. “The only love you should desperately search for, is the one that comes from you to you.”
― Edmond Mbiaka.
41. “When you love yourself, you automatically attract feelings of love for others around you.”
― Rhonda Byrne.
42. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.”
― Christopher Germer.
43. “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”
― Kurt Cobain.
44. “When your own approval means more than the approval of others, that is self-love.”
― Vironika Tugaleva.
45. “Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.”
― Tyra Banks.
46. “Love thy neighbor yes, but love thyself first.”
― Solange Nicole.
Quotes that help you with looking back and reflecting on your doubts and worries.
47. “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.”
― Joseph Campbell.
48. “I am worthy of the very best in life, and I now lovingly allow myself to accept it.”
― Louise Hay.
49. “Did your mom ever tell you, ‘If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything’? She was right–and talking nicely also applies when you’re talking to yourself, even inside your head.”
― Victoria Moran.
50. “The only person who can pull me down is myself, and I'm not going to let myself pull me down anymore.”
― C. JoyBell C.
51. “It is not worth the while to let our imperfections disturb us always.”
― Henry David Thoreau.
52. “Your problem is you’re too busy holding onto your unworthiness.”
― Ram Dass.
53. “Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced.”
― James Baldwin.
54. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.”
― Anne Lamott.
55. “Not being understood may be taken as a sign that there is much in one to understand.”
― Alain de Botton.
56. “One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.”
― A. A. Milne, ‘Winnie The Pooh’.
57. “When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.”
― Peace Pilgrim.
58. “If you had a person in your life treating you the way you treat yourself, you would have gotten rid of them a long time ago.”
― Cheri Huber.
59. “The only person you really have control over is yourself.”
― Deborah Reber.
60. “When you stopped wishing things wouldn’t fall apart, you’d stop suffering when they did.”
― John Green, ‘Looking for Alaska’.
61. “If one is cruel to himself, how can we expect him to be compassionate with others?”
― Hasdai Ibn Shaprut.
62. “Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.”
― E.E. Cummings.
63. “You’re already stuck with yourself for a lifetime. Why not improve this relationship?”
― Vironika Tugaleva, ‘The Art Of Talking To Yourself'.
Quotes On Self-Awareness
Some lovely quotes about self-awareness and taking good care of yourself.
64. “No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.”
― Robert Holden.
65. “We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light.”
66. “Life is a very sad piece of buffoonery because we have the need to fool ourselves continuously by the spontaneous creation of a reality which, from time to time, reveals itself to be vain and illusory.”
― Luigi Pirandello.
67. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson.
68. “To be nobody but yourself in a world that’s doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.”
― E. E. Cummings.
69. “We all make mistakes. We must keep finding the right paths.”
― Lailah Gifty Akita.
70. “If we all hold on to the mistake, we can’t see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can’t see what we’re capable of being.”
71. “Maturity, one discovers, has everything to do with the acceptance of 'not knowing.'”
― Mark Z. Danielewski.
72. “Accepting all the good and bad about someone. It's a great thing to aspire to. The hard part is actually doing it.”
― Sarah Dessen.
73. “Yours is only what you always have on you.”
― Peter Deunov.
74. “Self-acceptance is my refusal to be in an adversarial relationship to myself.”
― Nathaniel Branden.
Famous Self-Awareness Quotes
Some of the best quotes about self-approval and self-compassion that will help you in dealing with yourself.
75. “Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.”
― George R. R. Martin.
76. “Conquering others requires force. Conquering oneself requires strength.”
― Lao Tzu.
77. “Live your life, sing your song. Not full of expectations. Not for the ovations. But for the joy of it.”
― Rasheed Ogunlaru.
78. “Whether you're as healthy as you should be or not, that doesn't disallow you to look your best. Style is only possible from a place of self-acceptance.”
― Stacy London.
79. “I don't have to be perfect. All I have to do is show up and enjoy the messy, imperfect and beautiful journey of my life.”
― Kerry Washington.
80. “Until you are happy with who you are, you will never be happy with what you have.”
― Zig Ziglar.
81. “The most difficult times for many of us are the ones we give ourselves.”
― Pema Chödrön.
82. “I was once afraid of people saying ‘Who does she think she is?’ Now I have the courage to stand and say ‘This is who I am.’”
― Oprah Winfrey.
83. “It’s OK if you mess up. You should give yourself a break.”
― Billy Joel.
84. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
― Lao Tzu.
85. “If you don’t like something, change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.”
― Mary Engelbreit.
86. “Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness. Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.”
― Dalai Lama.
87. “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt.
88. “It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don’t know all the answers.”
― John P. Lougbrane.
89. “The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.”
― Mark Twain.
Know Yourself Quotes
A selection of some of the best self-acceptance quotes and self-compassion quotes that will help you look deeper into yourself.
90. “You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful.”
— Amy Bloom.
91. “Growth begins when we start to accept our own weakness.”
92. “You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.”
— Diane Von Furstenberg.
93. “The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.”
― C.G. Jung.
94. “It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else’s eyes.”
― Sally Field.
95. “Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be.”
— Fanny Brice.
96. “Often, it’s not about becoming a new person, but becoming the person you were meant to be.”
— Heath L. Buckmaster, ‘Box Of Hair: A Fairy Tale’.
97. “The surest way to lose your self-worth is by trying to find it through the eyes of others.”
— Becca Lee.
98. “I don’t wear the opinions of others anymore, I learnt to dress myself.”
— Nikki Rowe.
99. “Our entire life consists ultimately in accepting ourselves as we are.”
— Jean Anouilh.
100. “Accept who you are; and revel in it.”
— Mitch Albom.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for self acceptance quotes then why not take a look at follow your heart quotes, or find yourself quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.