Self-awareness is the ability of paying attention and being mindful of various aspects of oneself including feelings, behaviors and traits.
There are two different types of self-awareness. One is private self-awareness and the other is public self-awareness.
Cultivating self-awareness is an important aspect of one's personality development. It helps us to explore our inner selves with respect to the world around us. In order to nurture the quality of self awareness, you can do quite a number of things; meditation, noticing what bothers you, identifying emotional triggers, learning new skills and accepting criticism are some ways to increase self-awareness. Being self-aware will make you more creative and self confident and help you build stronger relationships.
Here's a collection of the best quotes on self-awareness to help you build a healthier relationship with yourself.
If you like what you read, check out be true to yourself quotes and [focus on yourself quotes].
Famous Self-Awareness Quotes
These quotes about being self-aware have everything you need to learn to be mindful of yourself and build a healthier life story.
1. "Self-awareness is not self-centeredness, and spirituality is not narcissism. 'Know thyself' is not a narcissistic pursuit."
- Marianne Williamson.
2. "We have self-centered minds which get us into plenty of trouble. If we do not come to understand the error in the way we think, our self-awareness, which is our greatest blessing, is also our downfall."
- Joko Beck.
3. "If your emotional abilities aren't in hand, if you don't have self-awareness, if you are not able to manage your distressing emotions, if you can't have empathy and have effective relationships, then no matter how smart you are, you are not going to get very far."
- Daniel Goleman.
4. "A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life."
- James Allen.
5. “Without self awareness we are as babies in the cradles.”
- Virginia Woolf.
6. “Humility is not about having a low self-image or poor self-esteem. Humility is about self-awareness.”
- Erwin Raphael McManus.
7. “There is the experience of enlightenment, to be very aware of what lies beyond the boundaries of cognitive perception, reflection and self-awareness as seen by the personality.”
- Frederick Lenz.
8. “Self-awareness gives you the capacity to learn from your mistakes as well as your successes. It enables you to keep growing.”
- Lawrence Bossidy.
9. "I know that people can be better than they are. We are capable of bearing a great burden, once we discover that the burden is reality and arrive where reality is."
- James Baldwin.
10. "I think self-awareness is probably the most important thing towards being a champion."
- Billie Jean King.
11. "When I discover who I am, I'll be free."
- Ralph Ellison.
12. "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
- Carl Jung.
13. "Self-awareness is the ability to take an honest look at your life without any attachment to it being right or wrong, good or bad."
- Debbie Ford.
Inspirational Self-Recognition Quotes
Here are some thoughtful quotes on the importance of self-recognition and accepting yourself for the way you are.
14. “Honest self-understanding liberates us from our stuck emotions.”
- C. Terry Warner.
15. “I don’t fit into any stereotypes. And I like myself that way.”
- C. JoyBell C.
16. “Often, it’s not about becoming a new person, but becoming the person you were meant to be, and already are, but don’t know how to be.”
- Heath L. Buckmaster.
17. “The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.”
- Mark Twain.
18. “What self-acceptance does is open up more possibilities of succeeding because you aren’t fighting yourself along the way.”
- Shannon Ables.
19. "When we accept ourselves for what we are, we decrease our hunger for power or the acceptance of others because our self-intimacy reinforces our inner sense of security."
- Brennan Manning.
20. “No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.”
- Robert Holden.
21. "My friend...care for your psyche...know thyself, for once we know ourselves, we may learn how to care for ourselves"
22. “Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.”
- G.I. Gurdjieff.
23. "Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it."
- Brene Brown.
24. "Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom."
25. "The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you be somebody else."
- E. E. Cummings.
26. “You’ve always been what you are. That’s not new. What you’ll get used to is knowing it.”
- Cassandra Clare.
27. “Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
- C. G. Jung.
28. “I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.”
- Charlotte Brontë.
29. “Every answer can be followed by another question.”
- Thomas Lloyd Qualls.
30. “To know yourself, you must sacrifice the illusion that you already do.”
- Vironika Tugaleva.
Self-Reflection Quotes To Motivate You
Just like quotes about self-awareness, you will love these knowing yourself quotes that will help you practice self-reflection.
31. “Women need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away.”
- Barbara De Angelis.
32. “Great leaders develop through a never-ending process of self-study, self-reflection, education, training, and experience.”
- Tony Buon.
33. “Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful.”
- Margaret J. Wheatley.
34. "Our self-image, strongly held, essentially determines what we become."
- Maxwell Maltz.
35. "I visualize where I wanted to be, what kind of player I wanted to become. I knew exactly where I wanted to go, and I focused on getting there."
- Michael Jordan.
36. "It is always our own self that we find at the end of the journey. The sooner we face that self, the better."
- Ella Maillart.
37. "What we perceive about ourselves is greatly a reflection of how we will end up living our lives."
- Stephen Richards.
38. "Until you take the journey of self-reflection, it is almost impossible to grow or learn in life."
- Iyanla Vanzant.
39. "You need to step away from the mirror every once in a while, and look for another reflection, like the one in the eyes of the people who love you and admire you."
- Stacy London.
40. "There is one art of which people should be masters – the art of reflection."
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
41. “Wisdom tends to grow in proportion to one’s awareness of one’s ignorance.”
- Anthony De Mellow.
42. “Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?”
- Marcus Aurelius.
43. "The biggest and only critic lives in your perception of people's perception of you rather than people's perception of you."
- Criss Jami.
44. “Find out who you are and do it on purpose.”
- Dolly Parton.
45. “The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.”
- Carl R. Rogers.
46. "You can't decide not to see yourself anymore. You can't decide to turn off the noise in your head."
- Jay Asher.
47. "The most important conversations you’ll ever have are the ones you’ll have with yourself."
- David Goggins.
48. "The unexamined life is not worth living."
49. “The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself.”
- Ursula K. Le Guin.
50. "As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around."
- Oprah Winfrey.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for self awareness quotes then why not take a look at follow your heart quotes, or find yourself quotes.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.