Sewing has existed in our world from time immemorial as a textile craft from the Paleolithic era.
As a craft or a hobby, sewing has given rise to communities that love to work together to make beautiful items. Even though most of the clothes are mass-produced, sewing and quilting persist as enjoyable activities.
While you are working at your sewing machine, nothing can be better than knowing a little more about the art through some quotes. Moreover, funny sewing quotes are a great ice breaker for a new quilt group or store. Hence, gather your needle and thread to get inspired by the upcoming good sewing quotes.
If you like this, check out [craft quotes] and [funny artistic quotes].
Sewing Quotes For Inspiration
Are you ready to oil your machine for some fun sewing work? These inspirational sewing quotes help in increasing your potential of turning the fabric into a masterpiece.
1. “I feel the fabric gives familiarity to the image, it pulls you in to stop and admire the details.”
‒ Ana Teresa Barboza.
2. “Crafts make us feel rooted.”
‒ Phyllis George.
3. “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
‒ Edgar Degas.
4. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.”
‒ Maya Angelou.
5. “For the artisan, craft is an end in itself. For you, the artist, craft is the vehicle for expressing your vision. Craft is the visible edge of art.”
‒ David Bayles.
6. “There are two men inside the artist, the poet and the craftsman. One is born a poet. One becomes a craftsman.”
‒ Emile Zola.
7. “The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path.”
‒ Mason Cooley.
8. “When pockets were first added to women’s clothing in 1913, a Paris reporter wrote, 'It’s all over with men’s superiority over women.'”
‒ Claire B. Shaeffer.
9. “The best craftsmanship always leaves holes and gaps, so that something that is not in the poem can creep, crawl, flash or thunder in.”
‒ Dylan Thomas.
10. “You can sew your own curtain to remain hidden from the dark side of the world.”
‒ Munia Khan.
11. “Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that – one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery.”
‒ Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
12. “If you don't have experience sewing, start with that, because that will inform what you are able to design.”
‒ Tim Gunn.
13. “I find sewing by hand extremely rewarding. The pleasure of both making and wearing beautifully constructed garments far exceeds the time and effort required to complete them.”
‒ Claire B. Shaeffer.
14. “You want to be a bit compulsive in your art or craft or whatever you do.”
‒ Steve Martin.
15. “There is not the slightest reason why the spinning wheel may not co-exist with the spinning mill even as the domestic kitchen co-exists with the hotels. Indeed, typewriters and sewing machines may go, but the needle and the reed pen will survive.”
‒ Mahatma Gandhi.
16. “She sewed pants, shirts, and jackets in the style of the trends she could not afford, and that's about what a lot of us think of when we think about sewing: cute clothes. But Audrey knew more, something many of us forget: the strength of the stitch.”
‒ Victoria Loustalot.
17. “We stitch together quilts of meaning to keep us warm and safe, with whatever patches of beauty and utility we have on hand.”
‒ Anne Lamott.
18. “It’s only fabric! Freestyle fabric cutting and sewing is a low-risk endeavor with a strong payoff of personal growth and empower-ment.”
‒ Patricia Belyea.
19. “How odd it is that sewing is thought to be 'women's work' when surgeons, sailors, and cowboys sew too. ”
‒ Gretel Ehrlich.
20. “Success is not fame or money or the power to bewitch. It is to have created something valuable from your own individuality and skill, a garden, an embroidery, a painting, a cake, a life.”
‒ Charlotte Gray.
21. “The field of creativity that exists within each individual is freed by moving out of ideas of wrong-doing or right doing.”
‒ Angeles Arrien.
22. “Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.”
‒ Mary Lou Cook.
23. “With practice, the craft will come almost of itself, in spite of you, and all the more easily if you think of something besides technique.”
‒ Paul Gauguin.
24. “My mother had bought a sewing machine for me... and she did that for me.”
‒ Alice Walker.
25. “My father once nearly came to blows with a female dinner guest about whether a particular patch of embroidery was fuchsia or magenta. But the infinite gradations of color in a fine sunset - from salmon to canary to midnight blue - left him wordless.”
‒ Alison Bechdel.
Hilarious Sewing Quotes
As you quilter friends gather together, read these quotes to bring joy to the room. In this section find funny quotes about quilting and sewing to bring joy in life.
26. “I am certain that a Sewing Machine would relieve as much human suffering as a hundred Lunatic Asylums, and possibly a good deal more.”
‒ Margaret Atwood.
27. “Women derive a pleasure from the delicate toil of the needle.”
‒ Nathaniel Hawthorne.
28. “One has to look out for engineers - they begin with sewing machines and end up with the atomic bomb.”
‒ Marcel Pagnol.
29. “Although the threads of my life have often seemed knotted, I know, by faith, that on the other side of the embroidery there is a crown.”
‒ Corrie Ten Boom.
30. “Tombs are the clothes of the dead and a grave is a plain suit; while an expensive monument is one with embroidery.”
‒ R. Buckminster Fuller.
31. “A tranquil woman can go on sewing longer than an angry man can go on fuming.”
‒ George Bernard Shaw.
32. “Writing is very improvisational. It's like trying to fix a broken sewing machine with safety pins and rubber bands. A lot of tinkering.”
‒ Margaret Atwood.
33. “Sewing at once a double thread,
A shroud as well as a shirt.”
‒ Thomas Hood.
34. “Never use needle for shoveling. Needle is for sewing and shovel is for harvesting.”
‒ Elia M. Ramollah.
35. “Humility is the embroidery of chiefs.”
‒ Bill Vaughan.
36. “Mama's love had always been the kind that acted itself out with soup pot and sewing basket.”
‒ Corrie ten Boom.
37. “I am told by those who know that there are six varieties of hangover - the Broken Compass, the Sewing Machine, the Comet, the Atomic, the Cement Mixer and the Gremlin Boogie.”
‒ P. G. Wodehouse.
38. “To sew is to pray. Men don't understand this. They see the whole but they don't see the stitches.”
‒ Louise Erdrich.
39. “The more stitches, the less riches.”
‒ Aldous Huxley.
40. “Two quilters who have just met will be strangers only until their mutual passion for quilting is revealed. Then they can talk for hours like the best of friends.”
‒ Jennifer Chiaverini.
41. “Nobody starts out a perfect quilter.”
‒ Sandra Dallas.
42. “In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.”
‒ Jeff Bezos.
43. “In some hotels they give you a little sewing kit. You know what I do? I sew the towels together. One time I sewed a button on a lampshade. I like to leave a mark.”
‒ George Carlin.
44. “As far as we could tell, the face of the revolution was a sea of embroidering women, patiently waiting the resignation of their repressive governor.”
‒ Diana Denham.
45. “A good use for me is to let me go away with my sewing machine and come back with some really new stuff.”
‒ Betsey Johnson.
Quotes About The Fun Of Sewing
This section will make you realize the love and time spent with your needle and threads. While these are great quotes, we don't know their origin, if you know plese let us know!
46. “Any day spent sewing, is a good day.”
47. “Fabrics doesn’t make exquisite dresses, it is the stitches.”
48. “Behind every quilter is a big pile of fabric.”
49. “My therapist advised I limit my fabric stash to one room. I now have a new therapist.”
50. “If we pop these store-bought pies into the oven it will look like we have baked all day instead of sewing.”
51. “The challenges are part of the reason why it is so rewarding to sew a garment and be able to say ‘I made that’.”
52. “You call it ‘empty nest’ I call it ‘new sewing room’.”
53. “My soul is fed with needle and thread.”
54. “When life gives you scrap, make a quilt.”
55. “I quilt because the voices in my head tell me to.”
56. “I’m a quilter and my house is in pieces.”
57. “I will not buy any fabric until I use my fabric stash at home, I said. And then I laughed and laughed.”
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for sewing quotes then why not take a look at painting quotes or [drawing quotes].
*Do you know where this quote originated? If you do, please email us at [email protected]
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.