Ever since the first humans started appearing, mankind has always had a fascination for wolves.
From writing about them in literature to imagining oneself as this agile strong animal, wolves have had their fair share of attention in our heads and in works of fiction. Wolves have also been documented in many books where they have caught the interest of many readers who had never even seen the animal before the advent of digital photography.
Wolves are majestic and strong creatures known to be roaming in packs but if push comes to shove, they can take care of themselves very well alone. They can sustain themselves and survive on their own. A 'lone wolf' is a highly used term to identify oneself as self-sustaining and capable of handling situations alone. We have collected the best quotes from around the world about wolves for you which you can enjoy with your friends and family! You could also check out native American quotes about wolves.
You may also want to visit [quotes about dragons] or [quotes about lions].
Wolf Quotes From Famous Works Of Literature
Here are some wolf quotes which will definitely appease all the fans of this majestic animal.
1. "For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack."
- Rudyard Kipling, 'The Jungle Book'.
2. "A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf."
- George R.R. Martin, 'A Dance With Dragons'.
3. "The wolves knew when it was time to stop looking for what they'd lost, to focus instead on what was yet to come."
- Jodi Picoult, 'Lone Wolf'.
4. "Those are the voices of my brothers, darling; I love the company of wolves."
- Angela Carter, 'Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories'.
5. "You’re the moon and the world is a lonely wolf; it cries at the sight of you for you are glorious and so out of reach"
- Noor Unnahar, 'Yesterday I Was the Moon'.
6. "I was not prey any longer, I decided as I eased up to that door. And I was not a mouse. I was a wolf."
- Sarah J. Maas, 'A Court Of Mist And Fury'.
7. "The Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept."
- Jack London, 'White Fang'.
8. "She was a wolf. She was death, devourer of the worlds."
- Sarah J. Maas, 'Queen Of Shadows'.
9. "The wolf is carnivore incarnate and he's as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do."
- Angela Carter, 'The Company Of Wolves'.
10. "The wolf exerts a powerful influence on the human imagination. It takes your stare and turns it back on you"
- Barry Lopez, 'Of Wolves And Men'.
11. "A wolf is clever-clever-clever, and they are as faithful as a debt unpaid."
- Tad Williams, 'The Dragonbone Chair'.
12. "'If only, if only,' the woodpecker sighs, 'The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies.' While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely, crying to the moo-oo-oon, 'If only, If only.'"
- Louis Sachar, 'Holes'.
13. "Of course you aren't scared of me. I'm not the wolf. You are."
- Stylo Fantome, 'The Bad Ones'.
14. "The wolf that one hears is worse than the orc that one fears."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, 'The Lord of the Rings'.
15. "Good and evil are a great deal more complex than a princess and a dragon, or a wolf and a scarlet-clad little girl."
- Erin Morgenstern, 'The Night Circus'.
Popular Wolf Quotes
Here are some more wolf quotes and quotes about wolves in sheep's clothing.
16. "Wolves did not keep secrets from one another. They didn’t worry about having enough money or finishing school or winning races ."
- C.D. Bell, 'Chimera: Weregirl'.
17. "What is a saint supposed to do, if not convert wolves?"
- Umberto Eco, 'How to Travel with a Salmon And Other Essays'.
18. "I can’t believe I didn’t see him for what he was from the beginning: a wolf in sheep’s clothing. And now I’m the sheep pretending to be a wolf."
- Victoria Aveyard, 'Red Queen'.
19. "I sheep's idea of bravery: To become a wolf's pet."
- Ljupka Cvetanova, 'The New Land'.
20. "I have wolf blood and wolf bones... Don't expect me to graze with sheep."
- Melody Lee, 'Moon Gypsy'.
21. "Injustice! The Wolf has never told his side of the story!"
- Ljupka Cvetanova, 'The New Land'.
22. We are all wolves, howling to the same moon."
- Atticus Poetry, 'Atticus'.
23. "The wolves were those who would pervert the gospel. And at the same time, they were (and are) often those who seem to be the most obedient, the most godly, and the most spiritual."
- Steve Brown, 'Three Free Sins: God's Not Mad At You'.
24. "I am not a wolf in sheep's clothing, I'm a wolf in wolf's clothing."
- Ricky Gervais.
25. "Our whole image of wolf packs and alphas is completely wrong. Instead, wolves live the way people do: 7 in families made up of a mom, a dad, and their children."
— Temple Grandin, 'Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals'.
Motivational Quotes About Lone Wolves
Here are some inspirational wolf quotes that you will definitely love.
26. "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
- George R.R. Martin, 'A Song Of Fire And Ice'.
27. "A lone wolf doesn’t tread paths its ilk leaves; it makes its own footprints in the snow."
- Savas Mounjid, 'The Broken Lift'.
28. "If it's true what is said, that only the wise discover the wise, then it must also be true that the lone wolf symbolizes either the biggest fool on the planet or the biggest Einstein on the planet."
- Criss Jami, 'Diotima, Battery, Electric Personality'.
29. "A lone wolf sees the wisdom in guarding the sheep and hunting their predators."
— T.F. Hodge.
30. "How could I fail to be a lone wolf, and an uncouth hermit, as I did not share one of its aims nor understand one of its pleasures?"
- Hermann Hesse, 'Steppenwolf'.
31. "Sometimes a wolf has to stand alone to find out what he’s made of."
- Dannika Dark, 'The Vow'.
32. "A little wolf is present in every one of us."
- Peter Stamm, 'All Days Are Night'.
33. "Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."
- James Bovard, 'Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty'.
34. "The wolf who sings alone is not happy.”
- Tamora Pierce, 'Wolf-Speaker'.
35. "Strong creatures don't form herds. Have they never heard of a lone wolf? Cats are cute, and wolves are cool. So in essence, loners are cute and cool."
- Wataru Watari, 'My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected Volume 2'.
36. "I have always been a lone wolf and in the real sense of the word (people say it all the time but it's usually not true.) I feel like I watch people and I wonder why they do things."
- C. Joybell C.
37. "Fate whispers to the wolf 'you cannot withstand the storm' the wolf whispers back 'I am the storm."
- Unknown. *
38. "Throw me to the wolves & I'll return leading the pack."
39. "He was the khan of Wolves and he feared no man. They would pay dearly for his skin."
- Conn Iggulden, 'Genghis: Birth of an Empire'.
40. "Life is a lone wolf, scratching out a living with teeth and claws and a heart of stone."
- Dan Wells, 'Ruins'.
Short Quotes About Wolves
Here are some more amazing quotes on the ferocious predator.
41. "Even a wolf knows how to be polite when animalistic humans have no clue about politeness"
- Munia Khan.
42. "The wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger.
43. "Wolves, like children, are not born to lead calm lives."
- Katherine Rundell.
44. "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."
- Nikita Khrushchev.
45. "A wolf's sense of hearing is remarkably acute. A wolf can detect another's howl from as far as nineteen kilometres away."
- Emma Richler, 'Be My Wolff'.
46. "A wolf searches the path for prey that has paused. Keep moving."
- Toni Sorenson.
47. "No matter how she transforms, a fox can never beat a wolf in battle..."
- Tamuna Tsertsvadze, 'Gift of the Fox'.
48. "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be –the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer – which is, in reality, no more than a reflected image of ourself."
- Farley Mowat, 'Never Cry Wolf: The Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves'.
49. "In fairy tales, the wolf is always ferocious. Astute and agile, the wolf always figures out how to get its way. … The Wolf, in other words, always wins."
- Cristina Rivera Garza, 'The Taiga Syndrome'.
50. "Wolves attack the hindquarters of prey first, biting into the animal's meaty rump or ham."
- Jon T. Coleman, 'Vicious: Wolves and Men in America'.
51. "It hardly matters if you’ve known someone a lifetime or a minute. Our wolves always know who they belong to."
- Dannika Dark, 'The Vow'.
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at email@example.com!
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for wolf quotes then why not take a look at 'Women Who Run With the Wolves quotes, or shark quotes.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.