Books are considered the most loyal friends one can have as they teach you, entertain you, inspire you, and never leave your side!
Literature offers a vast pool of a variety of knowledge. Books always have a lot to offer for people of all ages and kinds.
Now you can take this arts and literature quiz with your friends to find out who is the ultimate literary champion. If you loved our 'Lord Of The Rings' trivia and Shakespeare trivia, you are definitely going to enjoy this interesting trivia about books. Get ready to learn some amazing trivia about English literature with thee literature trivia questions and answers!
Classic Literature Trivia
Classic books are well known for their stories having an organized structure, engaging pace, and fine quality of language. Take a look at this classic literature trivia to learn about the writers who emerged as classic authors and sold countless copies on themes such as love, life, death, and historical world affairs. Take this classic book trivia quiz to test your knowledge about these masterpieces of classic literature.
1. Question: What was the first fiction novel to be published in English?
Answer: 'Robinson Crusoe'.
2. Question: Elizabeth Bennet is a character from which book?
Answer: 'Pride And Prejudice'.
3. Question: In which country was Lewis Carroll's book 'Alice's Adventures In Wonderland' banned?
4. Question: In the book, 'The Once And Future King', what is the name of Merlin's owl?
5. Question: What is used as the portal to Narnia in Lewis Carroll's children's fantasy series?
Answer: A wardrobe.
6. Question: What is the name of the first book written by Stephen King?
7. Question: In George Orwell's 'Animal Farm', what type of animal is Boxer?
Answer: A horse.
8. Question: Who is the protagonist in Charles Dickens' 'Great Expectations'?
Answer: Philip Pirrip (Pip).
9. Question: Who is the author of the book 'A Brave New World'?
Answer: Aldous Huxley.
10. Question: What is the name of the book last written by Jane Austen?
11. Question: Who wrote the book, 'Lord Of The Flies'?
Answer: William Golding.
12. Question: What is the name of the protagonist in Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter'?
Answer: Hester Prynne.
13. Question: The story of the Dashwood sisters is stated in which classic novel by Jane Austen?
Answer: 'Sense And Sensibility'.
14. Question: 'To The Lighthouse', is a book written by which classic period author?
Answer: Virginia Woolf.
15. Question: What are the names of the three musketeers in the book written by Alexandre Dumas?
Answer: Athos, Porthos, and Aramis.
Modern Literature Trivia
As the world developed with time, so did the world of writing. The themes and genres of books transformed during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This period witnessed a break from the traditional styles and categories of writing. This was the time when the writers started writing more freely about the world around them, and more readers were able to relate to their work. If you are a true modern literary fan, have a look at these interesting trivia questions and check if you can master this literature quiz.
16. Question: In which year did J K Rowling write the first 'Harry Potter' book?
17. Question: 'The Kite Runner' is the first published book of which author?
Answer: Khaled Hosseini.
18. Question: Santiago, a Shepherd boy, is the protagonist of which book written by Paulo Coelho?
Answer: 'The Alchemist'.
19. Question: What is the name of the author who wrote 'The Book Thief'?
Answer: Markus Zusak.
20. Question: Which 'Harry Potter' book is the best selling of all in the series?
Answer: 'Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone'.
21. Question: How many books are in 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' series written by Stieg Larsson?
Answer: Three books.
22. Question: Mariam and Laila are the protagonists of which book written by Khaled Hosseini?
Answer: 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.
23. Question: In which place is the book 'To Kill A Mockingbird' set?
Answer: Maycomb, Alabama.
24. Question: What is the name of the memoir written by Michelle Obama in 2018?
25. Question: What is the name of the protagonist in John Green's 'Looking For Alaska'?
Answer: Miles Halter.
26. Question: Who wrote 'The Da Vinci Code'?
Answer: Dan Brown.
27. Question: 'A Game Of Thrones', written by George R. R. Martin, is a part of which fantasy book series?
Answer: 'A Song of Ice And Fire'.
28. Question: Agatha Christie is the best selling author famous for writing books of what genre?
Answer: Crime and mystery.
29. Question: Who is the author of 'The Power Of Your Subconscious Mind'?
Answer: Dr Joseph Murphy.
30. Question: In which book series was the word 'muggles' popular?
Answer: 'Harry Potter'.
Books have been a great source of inspiration for many movies and TV shows all around the globe. These screen adaptations not only immortalized the stories but also helped to sell even more copies of some novels, thanks to the boost it gave to their popularity. Take a look at these literature jeopardy questions to test if you know about all the book-inspired movies and shows. In this literary quiz, you can find out about some different types of adaptations.
31. Question: Which actor played the role of Jay Gatsby in 'The Great Gatsby', adapted from the book written by F Scott Fitzgerald?
Answer: Leonardo DiCaprio.
32. Question: What type of animal is Bagheera in Rudyard Kipling's 'The Jungle Book'?
Answer: A panther.
33. Question: In which year did the first 'Harry Potter' movie get released?
34. Question: Who is the director of the movie based on Yann Martel's 'Life Of Pi'?
Answer: Ang Lee.
35. Question: Who played the role of Elizabeth Bennet in the movie based on Jane Austen's 'Pride And Prejudice'?
Answer: Keira Knightley.
36. Question: What is the name of the trilogy of films, directed by Peter Jackson, based on J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy novels?
Answer: 'The Lord Of The Rings'.
37. Question: Which actor played the role of Hermione Granger in the 'Harry Potter' series?
Answer: Emma Watson.
38. Question: Who played the role of Edward Cullen in 'The Twilight Saga'?
Answer: Robert Pattinson.
39. Question: In which year did the movie based on Nicholas Sparks' 'The Notebook' get released?
40. Question: 'Thirteen Reasons Why' is a series based on which author's book?
Answer: Jay Asher.
41. Question: Who is the director of the 2019 movie 'Little Women' adapted from Louisa May Alcott's book?
Answer: Greta Gerwig.
42. Question: What is the name of one of the most adapted characters from the novels written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
Answer: Sherlock Holmes.
43. Question: 'Lost' is a TV series inspired by which novel written by William Golding?
Answer: 'Lord Of The Flies'.
44. Question: 'The Lion King' is a movie loosely inspired by which of Shakespeare's dramas?
45. Question: Which actor plays the role of Jon Snow in the TV series 'Game Of Thrones' adapted from George R. R. Martin's novels?
Answer: Kit Harington.
46. Question: Which actor played the role of Nick Carraway in the movie adapted from 'The Great Gatsby'?
Answer: Tobey Maguire.
47. Question: Who played the role of Emma Morley in the movie adaptation of David Nicholls' 'One Day'?
Answer: Anne Hathaway.
48. Question: How many seasons does the book adapted TV series 'The Vampire Diaries' have?
Author Trivia Questions
If you have a keen interest in reading books and exploring new fictional environments, you might also want to know about the mindset behind the creation of that art. Answer these literary quiz questions and get to know some interesting English literature trivia about authors. You will learn about some of the best authors through these literary trivia questions.
49. Question: Under what pseudonym did J K Rowling write crime fiction?
Answer: Robert Galbraith.
50. Question: How old was Mary Shelley when she first started writing 'Frankenstein'?
Answer: 18 years old.
51. Question: Who introduced the phrase, "Wear your heart on your sleeve"?
Answer: William Shakespeare.
52. Question: How many novels were written by Agatha Christie?
53. Question: In which year did Charles Dickens die?
54. Question: Which author's last words were, "My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has got to go"?
Answer: Oscar Wilde.
55. Question: What is the name of Jane Austen's last unfinished novel?
56. Question: Who gave the quote, "The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive"?
Answer: John Green in 'Looking For Alaska'.
57. Question: George Eliot is the pen name of which author?
Answer: Mary Ann Evans.
58. Question: How many times was J K Rowling's pitch for 'Harry Potter' rejected by publishers?
Answer: 12 times.
59. Question: Nicholas Sparks is a writer famous for writing books in which genre?
60. Question: What is the name of the first published novel by Leo Tolstoy?
Answer: 'War And Peace'.
61. Question: When was Stephen King born?
Answer: 21 September 1947.
62. Question: How many siblings did Jane Austen have?
Answer: Seven, six brothers and one sister.
63. Question: How old was Emily Bronte at the time of her death?
Answer: 30 years old.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly trivia for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for book trivia, then why not take a look at our Hardest trivia questions, or Harry Potter Book trivia for more?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.