So are you looking for a name for your pet bat?
Bats are amazing creatures. They are classified as mammals and there are over 1400 species of bats worldwide.
Whilst there are many different types of bat, all bat types can be classified as Chiroptera, this is the Latin scientific word for bats (which could even make a great pet name). There are no special words for male and female bats, they are simply known as male bats and female bats, which keeps things simple, right?
Famous Bat Names
These names for bats come from popular bat characters in books, movies, and TV shows.
1. Bartok, a bat from 'Anastasia' and the title character of 'Bartok The Magnificent'.
2. Batman, from 'DC Comics'.
3. Chocula, from the cereal Count Chocula.
4. Fidget, after Fidget the bat from 'The Great Mouse Detective' and 'House Of Mouse'.
5. Whiskers, named after the vampire cat from 'Frankenweenie'.
6. Rouge, a bat from the 'Sonic' series.
7. Stellaluna, the title character of a children’s book and film.
Famous Vampire Names
These names are perfect for your vampire bat and come from popular vampires in books, films, or TV shows.
8. Barnabas, from the character Barnabas Collins from 'Dark Shadows'.
9. Bunnicula, the title character from 'Bunnicula', a children’s novel series.
10. Duckula, the title character from 'Count Duckula', a cartoon character originally from 'Danger Mouse'.
11. Edward, one of the main characters from the 'Twilight' series.
12. Kate, the name of a character from the 'Twilight' series.
13. Orlok, from the name of Count Orlok in the film 'Nosferatu'.
14. Count Von Count, this is the name of a character from 'Sesame Street' that teaches children to count.
15. Dracula, one of the most famous characters to exist, and the title character from the novel by Bram Stoker.
16. Nosferatu, the title character from 'Nosferatu' which is a dark horror film.
Mythological Bat Names
These mythological names come from creatures and legends relating to bats.
17. Anishinabe (Algonquian), from a legend about a hero who turned cannibalistic women into bats.
18. Camazotz (K’iche), meaning “death bat,” the name of a creature associated with night, death, and sacrifice.
19. Evaki, is the night Goddess who is responsible for getting the sun out and putting it back at night, she is sometimes represented as a bat.
20. Phooka (Gaelic), a trickster being who possessed people.
Names Meaning Bat In Different Languages
All of these words reference bats in different languages.
21. Chauve Souris (French), meaning “bald mouse”.
22. Fledermaus (German), derived from words meaning “flying mouse”.
23. Pipistrello (Italian), meaning "bat".
Cute And Funny Bat Names
Funny names are perfect for your pet fruit bat.
24. Fang (Old English), meaning “prey,” referring to a fang that bats have.
25. Foxy, suitable for any species of flying fox bat.
26. Luna (Latin), meaning “the moon,” because bats are nocturnal.
27. Nocturna, derived from the word nocturnal, meaning “of or pertaining to the night".
28. Penumbra (Latin), meaning “shaded region” and “partial shadow”.
29. Shadow (Old English), meaning “dark image cast”.
30. Yoda, a well known character from 'Star Wars' that vaguely resembles a bat.
Unique Bat Names
These bat names will help your bat to stand out. Some of these bat names are related to the night, as bats are famously nocturnal.
31. Moonlight (Dutch), literally meaning "light of the moon".
32. Nightwing, from the 'DC Comics' character who is associated with Batman, Nightwing’s original alias was Robin.
33. Flutter, from the definition of the word bat, which means “to flutter”.
34. Fox, relating to the Flying Fox, which is a species of bat.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for bat names then why not take a look at these lizard names, or for something different take a look at these names that mean lion.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.