The Cajuns are an ethnic group of people living primarily in Louisiana and Texas in the United States.
The Cajuns consist in part of the descendants of the original Acadian exiles, these are traditional French-speakers from Acadia (Acadia is now known as Canada). Since their establishment in the countryside of Louisiana, the Cajuns have become quite famous for their French dialect.
Commonly referred to as "Cajun French", they have developed a vibrant culture including folkways, music, and cuisine. There are even some famous Cajun sayings that you are likely to hear in Louisiana, such as "fais do-do" and "pass a good time".
Popular Cajun Surnames
Here is a list of the most popular Cajun last names, including Southern surnames and last names found in Louisiana, with their meanings and origins.
1. Benoit (French origin), this last name signifies “one who says the good”. This is one of the French Creole last names.
2. Bergeron (French origin), can either mean "mountains" or "shepherds".
3. Boudreaux (French origin), this common name signifies "a leader of a group".
4. Bourgeois (French origin), means “middle class”, earlier used to describe members of the Third Estate under Louis XVI’s regime.
5. Breaux (French origin), represents "those trusted with immense responsibilities".
6. Broussard (French origin), is another common surname that means "a man of the forest".
7. Fontenot (French origin), literally translates to "spring" or "fountain".
8. Guidry (French origin), this common name stems from a first name with the meaning “hunt”.
9. Hebert (German origin), literally translates to “brilliant warrior”. It is the most common Cajun last name in Louisiana. Hebert is quite a popular first name too.
10. Landry (British origin), signifies a powerful landlord. People with the name Landry were primarily farmers in France. Apart from Hebert, it is now one of the most common Cajun last names in Louisiana. Landry is a common name among many families in Louisiana.
11. LeBlanc (French origin), this common name means "someone who is pale or has white hair". Actor Matt LeBlanc is probably the most famous person with LeBlanc as a surname. Matt LeBlanc found fame in 'Friends'.
12. Richard (German origin), means "a strong ruler". Richard is quite a common surname in Louisiana.
13. Romero (Spanish origin), signifies "someone on a religious journey".
14. Thibodeaux (French origin), means "bold or brave".
15. Trahan (French origin), represents a "silk worker".
16. Theriot (French origin), this common name means "God’s gift".
Unique Cajun Last Names
Here is a list of unique Cajun last names with their meanings and origins.
17. Arceneaux (French origin), means “to love”.
18. Authement (French origin), means “captain”.
19. Barrilleaux (French origin), represents "someone for whom family is most important".
20. Barrois (Spanish origin), represent "proprietors of large villages or estates".
21. Beaugard (French origin), means “a beautiful view”.
22. Billiot (British origin), represents "someone who is studious".
23. Bienvenu (French origin), means “welcome”, parents often name a child Bienvenu to welcome their entry into the world.
24. Champagne (French origin), is a surname often used to describe "someone with a bubbly personality".
25. Daigle (German origin), means “of the eagle”.
26. Delaune (French origin), represents "someone who lives near an Alder tree". The surname is often used to describe someone who is enlightened.
27. Domingue (Spanish origin), signifies the quality of "dignity and integrity".
28. Fortier (French origin), is used to describe "someone built like a fortress". The surname can also describe "someone who works in a fortress".
Less Common Cajun Surnames
Here is a list of uncommon Cajun surnames with their meanings and origins. Looking for out of the box last names for a character? These last names will be ideal.
29. Aucion (German origin), is used to represent “one who lives on the corner”.
30. Autin (French origin), means “maker or bearer of baskets”.
31. Bourque (French origin), represents a "man with tawny hair". This is one of the more unusual Cajun surnames in the United States.
32. Caillou (French origin), means "pebble or small stone". It is one of the rarest surnames among the Cajun surnames.
33. Charpentier (French origin), the name represents a "worker of wood".
34. Chauvin (French origin), means "a bald man".
35. Chiasson (French origin), is a surname which means "someone from Chiasso", which is a place on the Swiss Italian border.
36. Cormier (French origin), is used to represent "someone who lives near a tree".
37. Doucet (French origin), is used to represent "someone who is gentle natured, sweet and pleasant".
38. Duet (French origin), is used as a surname by "someone hailing from the Ford".
39. Duplantis (French origin), means "someone who lives in a vineyard or plantation".
40. Durocher (French origin), signifies "someone who lives in a rocky place". It can also mean "someone who hails from the beautiful regions of Burgundy".
41. Faucheaux (French origin), means "someone who mows lawns of the aristocrats".
42. Foret (French origin), represents "someone who works in a royal castle or lives near a royal forest".
43. Gauthier (German origin), one of the Cajun names that means "army".
44. Gauthreaux (French origin), represents "someone in a position of power in the medieval French army".
45. Gros (French origin), literally translates to "large" and is used to describe larger males.
46. Haydel (British origin), is used to describe "someone who is attractive both inside and out".
47. Labat (French origin), the last name means "Priest". It can also mean "someone who lives in a valley".
48. Lapeyrouse (French origin), represents "someone who has come from a stony place".
49. LeBoeuf (French origin), literally translates to “bull” and describes powerfully built people.
50. Ledet (French origin), this last name literally translates to “the dice”.
Kidadl has lots of great name articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Cajun last names popular in Louisiana then why not look at these Mexican last names with meanings. If you are looking for something different, take a look at our list of the best names that mean rebirth or new beginning.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.