Cambodian names and meanings offer great inspiration for those seeking a baby name.
Contrary to Western culture, Cambodian first names follow the last names. Cambodian 'last' names (or patronymics) are the family names and are written first. The given names (what we know as the first names) follow this, and are still how people are addressed. So your surname would be written first, and your first name would come after. Also, the Cambodian family name is usually the father's given name. In some cases, the family name is the grandfather's given name. Another interesting thing to know about Cambodian baby names is that the given name (though it isn't written first) is also used as the title - 'Miss', 'Mr' and others aren't used.
Many Cambodian baby names are unisex, so many Cambodian girl names also work nicely as Cambodian boy names - it's not at all unusual for a male and female to have the same name. In our top picks for Cambodian baby names, the genders which appear beside the names refer to the genders that the names are most commonly used for.
Whether you have Cambodian roots or are seeking a beautiful name with a meaning to match, these Cambodian baby names will not disappoint. From meanings like 'great city' to 'precious stones' to 'morning sun', many Cambodian baby names are a wonderful complement to your newborn.
Popular Cambodian Baby Names
Take a look at some of the most well-loved and used Cambodian baby names for girls and boys. And just so you know, Cambodian baby names, when pronounced, put emphasis on the last syllable. Also, did you know that when turning Cambodian baby names into nicknames, the last syllable is often used? The name 'Chhanny' for example would be shortened to 'Ny' instead of 'Chhan'.
1. Achariya: This Cambodian baby name means 'marvellous' or 'wonderful'.
2. Bopha (Girl): Meaning 'beautiful flowers'.
3. Borey (Boy): Means 'great city' or 'country' and is also spelt Bourey.
4. Kiri: Means 'mountain peak'.
5. Kosal (Boy): Meaning 'magical', 'clever' or 'merit gained from what has been given'.
6. Leap (Boy): This Cambodian baby name means 'good fortune'.
7. Many: Means 'gem' or 'precious stone' and can also be spelt Mony.
8. Nimol (Boy): Meaning 'flawless'.
9. Pich: This adorable Cambodian baby name means 'diamond'.
10. Pisey (Boy): Means 'beloved'.
11. Rathana (Boy): Meaning 'precious stones' and this Cambodian name can also be spelt Rathanak.
12. Rachany (Girl): Means 'night'.
13. Rath: Named after a type of flower. Also spelt Roth.
Cambodian Baby Names Inspired By Nature
Take a look at these gorgeous Cambodian baby names inspired by nature. If you find yourself spoilt for choice, why not join two Cambodian baby names together? Many common Cambodian names are the result of such. For example, if you like the names Chhan (meaning 'moon') and Ny (meaning 'light') you could combine them to give Chhanny, which means 'moonlight'.
14. Arunny (Girl): A beautiful nature-inspired name meaning 'morning sun'.
15. Boupha: Means 'like a flower'.
16. Champei (Girl): Named after a type of fragrant flower with either red or white petals.
17. Chankrisna: Meaning 'a sweet-smelling tree'.
18. Chann (Boy): The Cambodian word for 'moon'.
19. Chanmony: Meaning 'shines like the moon'.
20. Chantou: Meaning 'flower' and is also spelt Chanthou.
21. Chhaya: Means 'shade' or 'shadow' and is also spelt Chaya.
22. Kolab (Girl): Means 'rose'.
23. Kong-Kea: Meaning 'the big water'.
24. Kravann: Meaning 'a tiny golden-brown flower'.
25. Kunthea (Girl): Meaning 'sweet-smelling'.
26. Nearidei (Girl): Named after a white flower with four leaves, that is fragrant in the evening.
27. Phirun: Meaning 'drizzle'.
28. Rainsey: Means 'rays of the Sun'.
29. Raksmei: Meaning 'ray of light'.
30. Reasmey: Means 'sunshine'.
31. Roumduol (Girl): Named after a type of flower, which usually grows around Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
32. Sinuon: Named after a type of flower.
33. Soriya (Girl): Meaning 'Sun'.
34. Sotear (Girl): Means 'generous', 'sweet flower' or 'compassionate'. Also spelt Sothea, Sotheara, and Sotearith.
Traditional Cambodian Baby Names
Many Cambodian baby names come from Buddist or Hindu words, hence they are rich in meaning. The names are chosen to speak positive things into the life of the baby, such as good fortune and success.
35. Anchaly: The Cambodian word for 'hand'.
36. Atith (Boy): Means either 'Sunday' or 'sunny day'.
37. Chanvatey: Means 'a scholar' or 'an educated person'.
38. Chariya: Means 'good character' and is also spelt Charya and Chakriya.
39. Chea: Meaning 'healthy, to be well'.
40. Chenda: Means 'intelligence' or 'thought'.
41. Chhay: Meaning 'charming' or 'attractive'.
42. Chhaya: Means 'beautiful light' or 'image'.
43. Chivy: Meaning 'life'.
44. Choum: Means 'refreshingly beautiful'.
45. Dara: Means 'precious' or 'star'.
46. Davi: Meaning 'angel' and is also spelt Davy, Daevy or Devi.
47. Jorani (Girl): Means 'radiant jewel'.
48. Kanleakhana (Girl): Meaning 'possessing character'.
49. Kannitha: Means 'angels'.
50. Kanya (Girl): Means 'girl'.
51. Khean: Named after a traditional type of musical instrument.
52. Khemera (Boy): Means 'from Cambodia'.
53. Leakena (Girl): This Cambodian baby name means 'quality', 'attribute' or 'characteristic'.
54. Makara: Meaning 'January'.
55. Mean: Meaning 'wealthy'.
56. Montha (Boy): Means 'charming'.
57. Narin: Meaning 'superior'.
58. Nimith (Boy): Meaning 'transformation'.
59. Noreaksey (Boy): Means 'truthful' or 'great power'.
60. Phala (Boy): Meaning 'prosperous'.
61. Pheakdei: This Cambodian baby name means 'honesty' or 'loyalty'.
62. Phirum (Boy): Meaning 'peacefulness' and 'comfort'.
63. Piseth (Boy): Means 'supreme', 'greatest', 'magnificent' and 'rare in, quality'.
64. Ponleak (Boy): Meaning 'endurance, strength'.
65. Ponlok: Meaning 'dear' or 'darling'.
66. Prak (Boy): A glittering name meaning 'silver'.
67. Puthyrith (Boy): Meaning 'merciful power'.
68. Reach (Girl): Means 'beautiful'.
69. Rathana (Boy): Meaning 'jewels' or 'precious stones'.
70. Rithisak (Boy): An empowering name meaning 'powerful'.
71. Rithy (Boy): Means 'powerful strength'.
72. Sakngea: Meaning 'greatness'.
73. Samlain (Boy): This Cambodian baby name means 'friend, buddy'.
74. Samnang: Means 'good fortune'.
75. Samphy: Meaning 'busy' or 'hardworking'.
76. Sangha (Boy): Means 'handsome'.
77. Sathea: Means 'compassion' and is also spelt Sotear.
78. Serey: Meaning 'freedom, born free'.
79. Sok: Means 'peacefull', 'well' or 'happy'.
80. Sokha: This Cambodian name means 'one who is content with his or her life'.
81. Sokhem (Boy): Meaning 'hope'.
82. Sok Mean: Means 'wealthy' and 'happy'.
83. Sonisay (Girl): Meaning 'good at first impression'.
84. Sophal (Girl): Means 'cultivation'.
85. Sopheap: Meaning 'one who is gentle and proper'.
86. Sopheara (Boy): Meaning 'attractive' or 'handsome'.
87. Sophon (Girl): Means 'beauty'.
88. Sothear (Boy): Meaning 'clean', 'pure', 'bright' or 'generous'.
89. Sourkea: Means 'heaven'.
90. Sovandary (Girl): A fabulous flattering name meaning 'gold star'.
91. Sovann: Means 'one who is golden'.
92. Sovannary (Girl): Means 'golden girl' and is also spelt Sovaneary.
93. Srey (Girl): Meaning 'feminine' or 'girl'.
94. Srey Mom (Girl): Means 'beloved girl'.
95. Srey Pich (Girl): Meaning 'diamond girl'. Variations include Srey Pek and Sreypich.
96. Tevy (Girl): Means 'angelic' and is also spelt Taevy.
97. Thom: Meaning 'large' or 'oldest one'.
98. Toch: Means 'small' or 'young one' and is also spelt Touch.
99. Veasna: Meaning 'fate, destiny' and is also spelt Visna.
100. Vibol (Boy): Means 'abundant' or 'large'.
101. Vimean (Girl): Meaning 'grandeur' or 'royalty'.
102. Visal: Means 'vast' or 'excellent'.
103. Visothirith (Boy): Meaning 'pure' and 'heavenly'.
104. Vithu (Boy): Means 'intelligent' or 'wise'.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.