French terms of endearment are well known all over the world.
French words about love can help you express your feelings in the best way possible. French terms like mon petit, mon ange and mon cheri can be commonly heard on the streets of Paris and uncommon terms like mon lapin and mon loup are quickly gaining popularity as well.
A lot of these names like mon loulou can be heard in French movies. These cutest French love words are actually the perfect nicknames in France. French people call their kids by different terms of endearment and love which have been included in the list below. These names can be used for pets too. One of these is mon chéri, which means "my dear". If you want to know the French for 'my love' or what mon cheri means, read on to learn more about terms of endearment in French and some nicknames in French.
If you love these pet names, you would also like to read [100+ Best Italian Nicknames For Loved Ones] and [20+ Best German Pet Names For Cute Terms Of Endearment].
Pet Names For Boys
Here is a list of unique pet names for boys which you can use for your cute loved ones if you want to gift them a loving name:
1. Andre meaning "man" or "warrior". André Marie Ampère was a popular French physicist and mathematician. One of the founders of the concept of electromagnetism.
2. Aubin meaning "white" or "bright". Aubin is a small village located southwest of France.
3. Bastille meaning "fortress". Bastille is also common as the name of a fortress in Paris. It was earlier used as a state prison.
4. Beau meaning "sweetheart" or "handsome". This is one of the popular French terms of endearment.
5. Champion meaning "a winner". This is a really famous term and can be a great match for a winner boy.
6. Choupinou meaning "cabbage". Cabbage is a common love word for your boyfriend or girlfriend in the French language.
7. Danton meaning "everlasting". Georges Danton was a well-known French revolutionary. He was one of the major figures to have initiated the revolution in France.
8. Darcel meaning "dark". Denise Darcel is the name of a French movie actress in the early 1900s.
9. Emile meaning "industrious". Émile Durkheim was a famous French sociologist.
10. Filou meaning "little and big mischievous boys".
11. Garcon meaning "a youth" or "a young boy". This is a very common title in France.
12. Gaston meaning "guest". Monsieur Gaston was the Duke of Orléans in France.
13. Henri meaning "ruler". Henri-George Clouzot is regarded as one of the key figures of French cinema.
14. Jean meaning "God is gracious". Jean Reno is a popular French actor.
15. Lyon meaning "lion". Lyon is a city in France.
16. Marvel meaning "wonder".
17. Matisse meaning "gift of God". Matisse is the French version of the name 'Matthias'. Mattise was a well known French artist.
18. Milou meaning "bitter". Tintin's dog, Snowy, was originally called Milou in the original French-language Belgian comic books.
19. Monet meaning "one who is heard". Claude Monet was an extremely popular French painter.
20. Napolean meaning "someone from Naples". Napoleon Bonaparte was a French statesman and military leader who led many successful campaigns during the French Revolution.
21. Olivier meaning "elf's warrior". Olivier Giroud is a French footballer who plays for the Premier League club, Chelsea. Oli is an endearing nickname for Olivier.
22. Paris meaning "son of Priam". Paris is the capital of France. It is a huge city known for its fashion industry.
23. Pierre meaning "rock". Pierre-Joseph Proudhon was a French politician, socialist.
24. Reynard meaning "a counsel". Paul Reynaud was an infamous French politician and lawyer.
25. Tintin meaning "amazing". This is one of the popular French terms of endearment. The Adventures of Tintin is a series of 24 albums and one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century.
26. Voltaire meaning "younger Arouet". Voltaire was a French philosopher.
27. Yves meaning "yew". Yves is a common French male given name. Yves Saint Laurent SAS or Saint Laurent, is a French fashion house.
Pet Names For Girls
Here is a list of French terms like ma petite, mon amour, and mon petit chou that you can use to call your female dear ones.
28. Aimee meaning "friend" or "beloved". Anouk Aimée was the name of a famous French actress who has starred in some movies in the course of her career.
29. Bébé meaning "baby". It is a common term used by lovers. Mon bébé is a common term of endearment in French meaning "my baby". Many people will refer to a child or partner as mon bébé. Bebe is also a popular women's clothing brand.
30. Belette meaning "weasel". A weasel is a small and cute mammal that is reddish-brown in color. The name is associated with cuteness.
31. Belle meaning "intelligent". Belle is a British period drama film.
32. Blanche meaning "white". The name is often linked to Blanche DuBois, a popular character in the movie 'A Streetcar Named Desire'.
33. Bonbon meaning "good" and "sweetie". This is one of the popular French terms of endearment. It is also a popular piece of confectionery.
34. Brie meaning "from Brie region of France". Brie is a soft cow' s-milk cheese named after Brie, the French region from which it originated.
35. Brigitte meaning "high one". Brigitte Bardot was a popular charming French actor.
36. Celine meaning "heavenly". Celine is a French leather luxury goods brand, known particularly for their accessories. Celine Dion is a famous singer who has also recorded many French songs.
37. Chanel meaning "pipe". Chanel, a French fashion house, focuses on women's high fashion and ready to wear clothes, luxury goods and accessories.
38. Chantal meaning "stone". Chantal Chawaf was a popular French writer.
39. Coccinelle meaning "ladybug". Jacqueline Charlotte Dufresnoy was better known by her stage name Coccinelle. She was a beautiful French entertainer, known for her acting and singing.
40. Coquette meaning "woman who endeavors to gain the admiration of men".
41. Delphine meaning "dolphin". Delphine Giuliano is a French personality, best known for being a YouTuber.
42. Desiree meaning "desirable". Desiree Clary was the love interest of the famous Napoleon Bonaparte,
43. Eclaire meaning "flash of lightning". This is one of the popular French terms of endearment.
44. Elle meaning "she". Elle is a worldwide lifestyle magazine of French origin, famous for its fashion-related articles.
45. Eloise meaning "noble one". Eloise is a famous song from the 1900s sung by Barry Ryan.
46. Esme meaning "esteemed". Esmé Stewart was a French nobleman who was also the first Duke of Lennox.
47. Fantine meaning "infant". Fantine, a fictional character from Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.
48. Felicite meaning "joy". Félicité was a huge French Navy ship.
49. Fifi meaning "Jehovah increases". Jehovah is the Hebrew term for God. It is a common term of endearment.
50. Fleur meaning "flower". Fleur Delacour was a French witch in the Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling.
51. Gabrielle meaning "God gives strength". Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel was a French fashion designer who is known to have revolutionized women's fashion industry.
52. Giselle meaning "bright pledge".
53. Hilaire meaning "cheerful". Hilaire Belloc was a well known French-born poet and historian.
54. Jollie meaning "good looking".
55. Kiki meaning "darling". Kiki recently gained popularity after Drake's famous song.
56. Lili meaning "lily". It is a particularly endearing term for petite women.
57. Manon meaning "the sea". Manon of the Spring is a celebrated French film. It is a very common French name.
58. Mignonette meaning "adorable". Ma mignonette is a common term of endearment in France for adorable kids.
59. Mimi meaning "mignon".
60. Monique meaning "advisor". It is a great way to tell a young child that he or she means something to you.
61. Odette meaning "wealth". Odette Sansom was a popular French spy who worked as an SOE operative in ancient France.
62. Papillon meaning "butterfly". Henri Charrière was also known as Papillon. He was a French writer who wrote a book called 'Papillon' while he was in jail.
63. Pitchounette mening "adorable like pitchoune".
64. Poupée meaning "doll".
65. Renee meaning "reborn". René Descartes was a historic figure, known best for his French philosophy.
66. Sabine meaning "woman of the Sabine people". Sabine Azéma was an admired French actress and director.
67. Violette meaning "purple". Violette Reine Elizabeth Szabo GC was a French Special Operations Executive (SOE) agent during the Second World War. He is known to have shaped France's history during the World War.
Gender-Neutral Pet Names
Here is a list of the cutest French words like mon chou, mon petit, mon amour and mon poussin that you can use to call your loved ones.
68. Ames meaning "love". This is one of the popular French terms of endearment. It is also a great way to say 'my love' in French.
69. Amour meaning "love". Amour is the French word for love and mon amour is a common French phrase meaning 'my love'. Mon amour is one of the well-known terms of endearment.
70. Ange meaning "angel". Mon ange is perfect for 'my love' in French. It also means 'my angel'.
71. Avignon meaning "from Avignon".
72. Belot meaning "a card game".
73. Cherie meaning "dear one". Mon chéri is one of the common terms of endearment.
74. Chou meaning "cabbage". Mon chou is a common French term of endearment.
75. Coty meaning "a small slope". Coty is better known to be a family name. François Coty was a French businessman, also known for his perfuming skills.
76. Dejah meaning "before".
77. Dior meaning "made of gold". Christian Dior is a famous French fashion house.
78. Doudou meaning "teddy bear". A Teddy bear is a common term of love used in France.
79. Fie meaning "dark of peace".
80. Maine meaning "mainland". Maine is also the name of a traditional French province.
81. Marquette meaning "land owner". Jacques Marquette S.J. was a French -American Jesuit missionary.
82. Michon meaning "one who is like God". Stéphane Michon was a French Nordic combined skier.
83. Myrl meaning "blackbird of the sea".
84. Noe meaning "rest" or "peace".
85. Nounours meaning "teddy bear". French terms that mean teddy bear are common for loved ones. Mon nounours is popular in France.
86. Patrice meaning "noble". Patrice Alègre is a notorious old French serial killer.
87. Petit Chou meaning "little cabbage". Mon petit chou is a common way to call someone 'my little cabbage' which is a common French term of endearment. It also means sweet like bout de chou.
88. Petit meaning "little". Philippe Petit French-born high-wire walker and performer.
89. Poussin meaning "chick". Mon poussin is a common term used by lovers, usually for girls and women.
90. Rusti meaning "red-headed". Although Rusti literally means red-headed, it is used as a romantic word of endearment.
91. Sacha meaning "defending people". Alexandre-Pierre Georges "Sacha" Guitry was a French stage actor, known to be an all-rounder.
92. Savon meaning "soap maker".
93. Sheryl meaning "darling". It is one of the common French words for friends.
94. Simone meaning "someone who hears". Simone de Beauvoir was an eminent French writer.
95. Taylor meaning "to cut".
96. Tre meaning "three".
97. Tresor meaning "treasure". Mon trésor is a sweet and meaningful pet name for your loved one. It is a great way to tell someone they are valuable. Marius Paul Trésor is the name of a French former professional footballer who played as a defender.
98. Valentin meaning "strong". The name is often associated with Valentin Ferron, a popular French cyclist.
99. Wallace meaning "Welshman".
100. Zuri meaning "rock". This is one of the popular French terms of endearment.
Kidadl has lots of great baby names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for French Pet Names then why not take a look at Nicknames for Kids, or for something different take a look at French boys names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.