Baking and cooking have always been a wholesome family activity, however, with the recent lockdown, these domestic tasks have become an essential and fun part of our everyday lives.
Baking is something that the whole family can get stuck into, and is a great weekend activity. You and your kids are sure to love making this delicious banana and walnut loaf and is something that everyone can share.
Not only is banana and walnut bread an all-time English classic, but it can also be easily given a modern and playful twist if you'd prefer to get more inventive. And with our simple-to-follow recipe, it definitely won't be a stressful affair! Take a read below at our favourite recipe for a banana walnut cake that you'll certainly love getting stuck into.
This cake recipe serves 10 people and is measured in cups, so those tricky scales aren't even needed! It's super easy!
1 cup of softened butter
3 large mashed bananas
1 cup of chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (more if you want)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 medium eggs
1 cup of caster sugar
1/4 cup of milk (full fat is preferable)
1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
1. Set the oven temperature to 180C, or 160C for a fan oven (gas mark 4)
2. Get all your ingredients out ready and measured
3. Soften the butter slightly in the microwave and then cream with the sugar
4. Put all the ingredients together in a bowl, excluding the walnuts for the time being
5. Mix all the ingredients together with a spoon until the mixture is smooth and the sugar has definitely dissolved
6. Add in the walnuts and continue mixing until the walnuts are dispersed throughout evenly
7. Pour the mixture into a buttered cake tin (a loaf tin or cake tin depending on what shape you want the cake to be)
8. Scatter some walnuts on top, and make sure they are evenly spread
9. Place in the oven for 1 hour and keep checking throughout
10. Take out of the oven when the loaf has gone a nice golden brown colour on top, and no gooey mixture is left on the knife and it comes out clean after you pierce it through the centre
11. Let the loaf cool on a rack to harden slightly and you're ready to cut and start eating!
For best results for your banana walnut loaf, make sure that the bananas you use are ripe bordering overripe bananas. Next time, if you're feeling particularly creative, why not get the icing and decorations out too!
Substitutes for a Vegan version
Instead of butter try using 50g of coconut oil and use soya milk as a great plant-based alternative! This recipe is so adaptable for any dietary needs so no one will miss out on this tasty treat!
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.