'Doctor Who' is a British science-fiction television program produced by BBC.
The program follows the adventures of a Time Lord called 'the Doctor,' an extra-terrestrial who appears to be human. He explores the universe in a TARDIS, a time-traveling space ship and regenerates into 13 different people.
Being an extra terrestrial and shape shifter traveling through space and time, the protagonist goes by the alias 'The Doctor' and has no name. There have been 13 Doctors to date played some of the finest actors: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, John Hurt, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaker.
Popular Girls' Names From Doctor Who
Here is a list of the most inspiring female characters from 'Doctor Who'.
1. Amelia (English origin) meaning "work" is Amy Pond, a companion of the eleventh Doctor.
2. English (Old English origin) meaning "foreign" is Barbara Wright, the companion of the first Doctor.
3. Clara (Latin origin) meaning "clear" is Clara Oswald, a woman with multiple lives.
4. Donna (Italian origin) meaning "lady" is Donna Noble, the companion of the 10th Doctor.
5. Erisa (Japanese origin) meaning "painting" is Captain Erisa Magambo, a UNIT officer.
6. Evelina (Old Saxon origin) meaning "strength"; a seer in Pompeii who was turned to stone.
7. Jane (English origin) meaning "Yahweh is gracious" is Sarah Jane Smith, the companion of the third and fourth Doctors.
8. Jennifer (Welsh origin) meaning "white fairy". Jenny Flint, a member of the Paternoster Gang.
9. Katarina (Greek origin) meaning "pure". Companion of the first Doctor.
10. Leela (Sanskrit origin) meaning "play". Companion of the fourth Doctor.
11. Lilith (Jewish origin) meaning "night monster" is a Karrionite daughter.
12. Liz (Hebrew origin) meaning "God is an oath". Liz Shaw helped the third Doctor.
13. Maisie (Hebrew origin) meaning "pearl". Actress Maisie Williams plays Ashildr.
14. Martha (Latin origin) meaning "lady". Martha Jones, a companion of the 10th Doctor.
15. Melanie (Greek origin) meaning "dark". Melanie Brush traveled with the sixth and seventh Doctors.
16. Melody (Greek origin) meaning "song" is Melody Pond, the daughter of Amy Pond and Rory Williams.
17. Idris (Welsh origin) meaning "interpreter". A female avatar to house the soul of the Tardis and called 'The Doctor's Wife'.
18. Nyssa (Greek origin) meaning "goal", a companion of the fourth and fifth Doctors.
19. Patricia (Latin origin) meaning "noble". Martha's sister nicknamed, Tish.
20. Peri (Persian origin) meaning "fairy". Peri Brown traveled with the fifth and sixth Doctors.
21. Petronella (Latin origin) meaning "rock". Petronella Osgood, a UNIT scientist.
22. Polly (Norman origin) meaning "agreeable"; Polly Wright, a companion of the first and second Doctors.
23. Rani (Sanskrit origin) meaning "queen" is a Time Lady and scientist.
24. Romana (Roman origin) meaning "Roman"; a Lord of Time from the planet, Gallifrey.
25. Rose (German origin) meaning "fame" is the name of Rose Tyler.
26. Sarah (Hebrew origin) meaning "lady". Sarah Jane Smith, a journalist.
27. Susan (Persian origin) meaning "lily". Susan Foreman is a companion and granddaughter of the first Doctor.
28. Sylvia (Latin origin) meaning "spirit of the wood" is Donna's mother.
29. Verity (Latin origin) meaning "truth" is Joan's great-granddaughter.
30. Victoriam (Greek origin) meaning "victory"; a companion of the first Doctor.
31. Zoe (Greek origin) meaning "life". Zoe Heriot, a companion of the second Doctor.
Unique Boys' Names From Doctor Who
Here's a list of unusual male baby names from 'Doctor Who'.
32. Adric (English origin) meaning "blessed ruler"; the companion of the fourth and fifth Doctors.
33. Alistair (Scottish origin) meaning "to defend". Brigadier Alistair, a companion of many of the Doctors.
34. Benjamin (Hebrew origin) meaning "son of the south". Ben Jackson was the companion of the first and second Doctors.
35. Gallifrey (Anglo-Saxon origin) meaning "foreign peace". The Doctor from planet Gallifrey.
36. Gordon (Scottish origin) meaning "spacious fort". The Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.
37. Grant (English origin) meaning "great". A civilian who assists the third Doctor.
38. Harold (Old English origin) meaning "army leader". Harry Sullivan accompanied the fourth Doctor.
39. Ian (Scottish origin) meaning "Yahweh is gracious"; Ian Chesterton, a companion of the first Doctor.
40. Jack (Middle English origin) meaning "supplanter" is the time traveler, Captain Jack Harkness.
41. Michael (Hebrew origin) meaning "who is like God?"; Mike Yates helped the third Doctor in 'Terror of the Autons'.
42. Mickey (American origin) meaning "who is like God?"; Mickey Smith is the companion of the ninth and tenth Doctors.
43. Nardole (Nordahl origin) meaning "north valley"; a companion of the 12th Doctor.
44. Rassilon (English origin) referring to the "president of Gallifrey", the first High President of the Time Lord Society on Gallifrey.
45. Rory (Goidelic origin) meaning "red-haired king" is Rory Williams, Amy's friend and fiancé.
46. Stewart (Old English origin) meaning "house guard"; the character, Alistair Gordon Lethbridge- Stewart.
47. Tyler (English origin) meaning "builder"; the character Rose Tyler.
48. Vislor (Albanian origin) meaning "firefly", companion of the fifth Doctor.
49. Wright (Old English origin) meaning "craftsman"; Barbara Wright, companion of the first Doctor.
Unisex Doctor Who Names
Here's a list of gender neutral baby names from 'Doctor Who'.
50. Ace (Latin origin) meaning "highest rank" is a companion who traveled with the seventh Doctor.
51. Ashildr (Old Norse origin) meaning "battle god" is a popular character.
52. Bill (English origin) meaning "will-helmet" is Bill Potts, a companion of the 12th Doctor.
53. Borusa (Romanian origin) meaning "to fight". The Doctor's former teacher.
54. Grace (Latin origin) meaning "beauty", the companion of the eighth Doctor.
55. Ianto (Welsh origin) meaning "gift of God". Part of the Torchwood team.
56. Jamie (Hebrew origin) meaning "supplanter". Jamie McCrimmon, the companion of the second Doctor.
57. Jo (French origin) meaning "may Jehovah add". A civilian, Jo Grant, who assists the third Doctor.
58. Pond (Southern English origin) meaning "enclosed expanse of water". The Doctor's nickname for Amy and Rory.
59. River (English origin) meaning "body of flowing water". A time traveler, River Song, a companion of the 11th Doctor.
60. Tardis (Fictional origin) meaning "time and relative dimension in space". A fictional time machine and spacecraft.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.