The Easter holiday is, in many ways, the best school break. The Christmas pause can be intense and (let’s admit it) stressful, while summer holidays seem to outstay their welcome. Easter, meanwhile, is hassle-free, filled with chocolate, and bursting with all the promise of spring.
To get you going, we’ve put together a bevy of fun family ideas on an Easter/spring/chocolate theme, then thrown in some longstanding favourites for good measure. Sign up to the Kidadl newsletter for more great activities throughout the Easter break (and beyond).
2. How about some Easter bunting? It’s easy to make. Cut out shapes from coloured card, decorate however you like, and then attach to a length of string.
4. Print out these egg-shaped designs, colour them in, and place them in your window.
5. Try one of these creative ideas for a garden Easter egg hunt
7. Have an egg-rolling race, like they do at the White House
8. An egg-and-spoon race is the natural extension of this idea
9. Create mini Easter Bunnies using old toilet roll tubes
10. Have a go at the ‘egg drop challenge’ - can your kids make a cushioning cradle that’ll allow an egg to fall without smashing?
11. Headband, hair clips, cardboard? Make yourself some Easter Bunny ears
12. Learn how to empty the contents of an egg, then paint the empty shell
13. Make fingerprint chicks. Daub your finger in yellow paint, print it onto paper, wait for it to dry, the ink in some features
14. Check out these amusing quotes about Easter
15. Design your own Easter cards and send them to friends and relatives
16. Make an Easter ‘tree’ from scavenged twigs and branches, and decorate it with painted eggs
17. Make an alternative Easter feast for your Sunday dinner
Yummy Chocolate Ideas
18. Ever tried a chocolate fondue? Ridiculously easy… and messy
19. Chocolate nest cakes, an old Easter favourite
20. Make your own chocolate eggs. You’ll need an Easter egg mould, which can be easily purchased online if you can’t get one in the shops
21. Try this homemade chocolate tiffin recipe
22. Make a cake using all your kids’ favourite sweets and chocolates. Just don’t tell your dentist
23. A giant Jaffa Cake, you say?
24. Careful how you eat this sumptuous chocolate hedgehog cake
25. Why is Toblerone triangular? So it fits in the box. Just one of these 49 chocolate jokes to munch your way through
26. And the icing on the cake? A mouthwatering list of novelty cakes and how to make them
Back To Nature
27. Entice more birds into your garden by making a bird feeder
28. Or help the little ones find a nest with a DIY bird box
29. Turn your garden into a bee paradise with these seven apian-friendly ideas
30. Or else get busy with these bee-inspired craft projects
31. Alternatively, make like a ladybird with these preschool craft projects
32. Everybody likes a mud kitchen, right? (Well, everyone except the person who has to do the laundry.)
33. Get the kids to help out in the garden, planting seeds and other educational tasks
34. How to make the perfect outdoor den
35. How to host a teddy bears’ picnic
36. Go on a hunt for fairy doors. Then, tell us where they are and we’ll add them to our map
Other Top Ideas With A Spring Twist
37. Make these spring-themed decorations to freshen up the home
38. Try this spring-themed quiz…
39. … or these spring-themed jokes. Warning: you will groan…
40. … or these spring-tastic trivia facts
41. Weather not cooperating? Bring outdoor activities inside with these ideas
42. Seen Disney’s new squirrel-based film, Flora and Ulysses?
43. Brighten your lounge with these beautiful 3-D paper flowers…
44. ... or how about making some from pipe cleaners?
And Some Favourite Crafts and Activities For Any Time Of Year
45. How to make the best paper planes
46. Our favourite slime recipes
47. Try our special colouring-in pages. Print out pictures on any theme and unleash the crayons
48. How to make Monster Spray to help flush out any nasty beasts
49. Knitting and crochet tips for kids
50. Craft projects that recycle your old rubbish
51. The best fairytale craft projects
52. How to make your own board games
53. Try these potion recipes, and put on your best Professor Snape voice
54. How to make, and craft with, salt dough
56. 15 creative ways to make a family tree
57. Try these historically themed craft ideas
58. Browse this epic list of science projects you can do at home
59. Invent your own superheroes, then dress up as them
61. Make up your own card games
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.