The sun is already shining, and here at Kidadl, we're itching to get the barbecue out and start flipping some sausages.
With these great recipes, there's no need to wait until summer to start cooking up a storm. These easy to make, family-friendly recipes are perfect for right now, so why not get outside, crank up the heat and start cooking up a storm!
Kidadler Adele says, 'Great fun and lovely memories made! BBQ, cards, sparkles, fire pit, roasting marshmallows.' It's the perfect way to get all the family together for an evening of fun, games and delicious grilled food.
We've got burgers, kebabs and some fun vegan and veggie bbq recipes for you below, that are all super easy to get the kids to help make.
Meatball and Veggie Kebabs
If your kids are bored of burgers, these delicious kebabs are a perfect easy alternative. Shop bought meatballs mean they're a breeze to prepare, but feel free to make your own if you're nifty in the kitchen.
2 tbsp rosemary, chopped
½ lemon, zested
2 courgettes, thickly sliced
2 peppers, thickly sliced
Pack of 24 beef meatballs
1 red onion, cut into wedges
3 tbsp olive oil
1) Add the rosemary and lemon zest to the olive oil and put to one side. Soak 8 long skewers in water (this stops them from burning on the BBQ).
2) Build your skewers by threading 3 meatballs on each alongside pieces of different veg in whatever order you like.
3) Brush the marinade over the top of each skewer.
4) Barbecue skewers for 12-15 minutes, making sure you turn them often until the meat is cooked through.
Rights Reserved: Tesco
Ultimate Cheese Explosion Burgers
Your kids will go crazy to get their hands on these ultimate cheesy burgers, with exploding gooey cheese centres. Food never looked so good, this easy recipe is definitely set to be your summer favourite.
500g beef mince
60g cheddar cheese
½ tsp plain flour
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp butter
pinch of salt
1) Break up the minced beef in a bowl, and sprinkle with salt to season.
2) Grate the cheese and mix with the butter, flour and milk, and place in a small frying pan.
3) Cook on a low heat until your cheesy mixture has melted and combined.
4) Divide the mince into 4 balls, and take ¾ of each ball, and flatten into a 6cm (ish) circle.
5) Using your thumb, make a dent in the middle of each circle, and pour your melted cheese mixture into each one.
6) Using the remaining mince, make four circles and place them on top of your burgers, pinching the edges to make sure you seal in the cheese.
7) Cook your burgers for about 15 minutes until cooked through, turning halfway through.
8) Serve in buns with salad and sauce.
Rights Reserved: Charlotte's Lively Kitchen
Buttermilk Chicken Legs
Nothing beats chicken on the barbecue, and this easy buttermilk chicken recipe will be a sure winner with the whole family. You can keep any leftovers for two days in the fridge - we loved making them into sandwiches for your little ones' lunch the next day.
6 chicken legs with skin on
284ml pot of buttermilk
2tbsp olive oil
15g fresh dill, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 lemon, zest and juice
1) Preheat your oven to 200ºC / Fan 180ºC / Gas 6.
2) Stir together your buttermilk, lemon juice, oil, dill, garlic and half of the lemon zest.
3) Add your chicken legs and mix until they're completely coated.
4) Cover and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
5) Get your chicken legs out of their marinade, and shake off any excess.
6) Bake on a greased baking tray for 30 minutes until they're cooked through.
7) Remove them from the baking tray, and cook on the barbecue for 2-3 mins until the skin is lightly charred.
Rights Reserved: Tesco Food
Halloumi Watermelon Skewers
This delicious summer recipe is perfect for hot day-time barbecues. The charred watermelon is a great refresher, and your kids will love the squeaky cheese! They're so easy to make, little kids will love to get involved.
2 250g blocks of halloumi
1 small watermelon
1tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne pepper (this is optional if your family don't like spice, feel free to leave it out)
1tsp black pepper
1) Soak 16 wooden skewers in water for 30 mins.
2) chop your halloumi into equal-sized large pieces.
3) Cut your watermelon into similar large chunks.
4) Thread the halloumi and watermelon onto skewers, alternating between each.
5) Mix together your spices and salt, and sprinkle over the skewers, pressing them down lightly so that they stick to them.
6) Grill the skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side until charred.
Rights Reserved: Olive Magazine
A great easy veggie option, these cauliflower steaks are a fab way to make veggies your main. You'll be amazed how filling and tasty they can be with a little bit of love.
2tbsp olive oil
2 lemons, plus more to serve
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp honey
2 tsp salt
Large handful of fresh parsley, chopped
30g toasted walnuts, chopped
2 large cauliflowers
1) Remove the stem from each cauliflower, and chop the head into 3 thick slices to form your cauliflower steaks.
2) Stir together your olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic and honey, and brush over each steak and sprinkle with a little salt.
3) Cook on the barbecue for 5 - 6 minutes on each side until they begin to char and become tender.
4) Sprinkle with parsley and walnuts and a squeeze of lemon to serve.
Rights Reserved: Well Plated
Vegan, Gluten-Free Tofu Satay
This yummy recipe is great for tricky eaters, but we bet your whole family will be ready to tuck into this Asian bbq twist. If tofu isn't your thing, you can also swap it for chicken, pork or aubergine for a perfect alternative the family are sure to love.
1 tbsp oil
For the marinade:
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp agave syrup
3 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the dipping sauce:
2tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp agave syrup
Juice of ½ a lime
Fresh coriander to serve
1) Soak 6 wooden skewers for 30 minutes in room temperature water.
2) Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel, and cut into cubes.
3) Mix together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
4) Add your tofu to the bowl, and mix, so that every piece is covered in the sauce.
5) In a separate bowl, make the satay dipping sauce by mixing the ingredients together, and adding a little bit of seasoning to taste.
6) Barbecue the tofu for 5 minutes on each side until slightly crispy.
7) Once cooked, transfer the tofu to a plate and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
Rights Reserved: Rhian's Recipes
Best Ever Black Bean Burgers
Bean burgers can sometimes be hit and miss, but this is one of our favourite bbq recipes that will definitely have your family converted! To make this recipe vegan, just leave out the cheese, use BBQ sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce and instead of the egg, use two heaped tablespoons of mashed sweet potato.
2 cans of black beans, drained
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
50g bread crumbs
50g feta cheese
2 large eggs
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp ketchup, mayo or BBQ sauce
1tsp garlic powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp oil
1) Preheat oven to 163°C / 325°F and spread beans on a lined baking sheet.
2) Bake for 15 minutes until slightly dry
3) Gently fry olive oil, pepper, onion and garlic for 5-6 minutes, and place in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine, and mash the beans in with a fork, leaving some chunks.
4) Place your burgers on tinfoil to grill on the barbecue for around 8 minutes per side, until burgers are warm all the way through.
5) Serve to your kids in a bun with cheese and salad and your favourite burger sauces.
Rights Reserved: Sally's Baking Addiction
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.