There are a plethora of female girl names from the sci-fi and fantasy worlds to choose from for your strong and unique female character.
However, it is important to choose a fantasy name that matches the character of your daughter. On top of everything, the name has to be meaningful and unique.
If you are a fantasy lover, you might want to create your own fantasy name. There are many ways to create a fantasy name. First, you need to go through some of the ancient languages like Old Norse or Ancient Greek to find the right name for your character. If you want the name of a fantasy place, you can check the characteristic of the place and then use it as a prefix or a suffix against the name of an ancient town or city name. For example, J.K. Rowling uses 'Hog' as a prefix in the Harry Potter novel, (hence, the name Hogwarts) and thus, she created the word Hogsmeade by attaching Hog with Meade. Portmanteau or smashing words together is another way to give a cool character name in your sci-fi and fantasy book series.
In many instances, a fantasy baby is given the name of characters from sci-fi and fantasy that the author deeply loved during their childhood. Such fantasy girl names derived from the sci-fi and fantasy worlds create an aura of mystery, wonder, and magic to the bearer. This list of 100+ female names from the worlds of sci-fi and fantasy as well as myths and legends will help you in your quest to find the perfect female fantasy names for your character.
Good Fantasy Names From Mythology
Are you looking to create good fantasy girl names? Here is a list of good fantasy girl names from mythology:
1. Aerwyna (English origin) - Friend of the sea. A faery name related to sea.
2. Andromeda (Greek origin) - The beautiful daughter of Cassiopeia.
3. Aphrodite (Greek origin) - The Greek goddess of love.
4. Arete (Greek origin) - A Greek god associated with excellence, bravery, and knowledge.
5. Artemis (Greek origin) - The Greek goddess of wilderness.
6. Asteria (Greek origin) - A Greek Titan goddess of falling stars.
7. Astraea (Greek origin) - She was the Greek Goddess of Justice.
8. Athena (Greek origin) - Name of the Greek goddess of courage, wisdom, and law and justice.
9. Bellona (Roman origin) - The goddess of war and peace.
10. Calliope (Greek origin) - The Greek muse of epic poetry.
11. Cassandra (Greek origin) - Daughter of the King and Queen of Troy known for her beauty.
12. Ceres (Roman origin) - The goddess of harvest.
13. Clementia (Roman origin) - The goddess of forgiveness.
14. Clio (Greek origin) - Daughter of Mnemosyne and Zeus and the Greek muse of History.
15. Cybele (Anatolian origin) - A mother goddess.
16. Carme (Greek origin) - Name of Demeter's assistant who helps her in the time of harvest.
17. Daphne (Greek origin) - She was the daughter of the river God.
18. Danae (Greek origin) - Princess of Argos and the mother of Perseus.
19. Demeter (Greek origin) - The Goddess of harvest.
20. Dia (Greek origin) - The Goddess of youth. In Spanish, it also means "day".
21. Dike (Greek origin) - Goddess of Justice.
22. Don (Celtic origin) - A mother Goddess.
23. Eirene (Greek origin) - The personification of peace.
24. Erato (Greek origin) - One of the nine muses of Greek lyric poetry.
25. Europa (Greek origin) - A Phoenician princess who was abducted by Zeus.
26. Fortuna (Roman origin) - The personification of luck.
27. Freya (Nordic origin) - The Goddess of beauty, love, fertility, and war and death.
28. Gaia (Greek origin) - The mother Goddess of the earth.
29. Hecate (Greek origin) - The Goddess of witchcraft and magic.
30. Helen (Greek origin) - She was the daughter of Zeus and Leda.
31. Hera (Greek origin) - Queen of Gods and Goddesses. Hera is also synonymous with being powerful.
32. Inanna (Mesopotamian origin) - The Goddess of fertility, love, and war.
33. Isis (Egyptian origin) - Goddess of good health.
34. Iris (Greek origin) - Goddess of the sky.
35. Juno (Roman origin) - The Goddess of marriage and women.
36. Laverna (Roman origin) - A famous patroness of thieves.
37. Nona (Roman origin) - A Goddess whose name means "ninth". She is called upon by pregnant Roman women in their ninth month for protection.
38. Nyx (Greek origin) - The exceptionally powerful and beautiful goddess of night.
39. Nox (Roman origin) - Roman Goddess of the night. It also means midnight.
40. Oreithyia (Greek origin) - A wind nymph or faery.
41. Pax (Roman origin) - Goddess of peace.
42. Penelope (Greek origin) - The faithful wife of Odysseus.
43. Persephone (Greek origin) - Demeter's daughter.
44. Phoebe (Greek origin) - Daughter of Uranus and Gaia.
45. Proserpina (Greek origin) - The Roman equivalent of Persephone, Goddess of fertility.
46. Rhea (Greek origin) - The Mother of the pantheon.
47. Rosmerta (Greek origin) - The Goddess of abundance and fertility.
48. Sága (Nordic origin) - The Goddess of wisdom and poetry.
49. Sól (Nordic origin) - The personification of the sun.
50. Thalia (Greek origin) - Another word for the Greek grace "abundance".
51. Venus (Roman origin) - Goddess of love.
52. Vesta (Greek origin) - The Goddess of the hearth.
53. Veritas (Greek origin) - The Goddess of truth.
Fantasy Girl Names From The Sci-fi And Fantasy Universe
54. Ada (Hebrew origin) - From the book Charles Frazier’s 'Cold Mou'.
55. Aerendel (Greek origin) - A deity with obscure powers, who might also be deified as the pole star. Tolkien named his character Eärendil after this deity.
56. Aeryn (Greek origin) - A female character from the TV series 'Farscape'.
57. Alia (Arabic origin) - From Frank Herbert’s 'Dune'.
58. Alura (Old English origin) - Mother of Supergirl, also the Kryptonian daughter of In-Zee.
59. Arrietty (Greek origin) - From Hayao Miyazaki's Ghibli film of the same name. It means "Ruler of the house".
60. Arya (Sanskrit origin) - A strong female character from 'Game Of Thrones' is Arya Stark.
61. Aurora (Roman origin) - from the fairy tale 'Sleeping Beauty' which also means "goddess of dawn".
62. Auryn (Celtic origin) - from 'The Neverending Story'. It means "light" or "golden".
63. Bella (Italian origin) - The female protagonist Bella Swan from Stephenie Meyer’s 'Twilight Saga'.
64. Diana (Latin origin) - Real name of the Marvel superhero Wonder Woman.
65. Echo(Greek origin) - A character’s name in the Science fiction series 'Dollhouse'.
66. Eowyn (Fictional origin) - Eowyn is the name of a character in 'Lord of the Rings' by Tolkien. It is one of the unique names created by Tolkien himself.
67. Luna (Roman origin) - Name of Luna Lovegood who is one of the important characters in J.K Rowling's 'Harry Potter' series. It is also the name of the Moon Goddess.
68. Porpentina (Archaic origin) - A titular female character from 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'.
69. Coraline (American origin) - Name of the protagonist Coraline Jones from Neil Gaiman’s 'Coraline'.
70. Ender (Turkish origin) - Originally the name of a boy from the sci-fi novel 'Ender's Game'. It also makes up for a good name for a girl.
71. Enid (Middle Welsh origin) - A female character named Enid Nightshade from Jill Murphy’s 'The Worst Witch'.
72. Eretria (Greek origin) - A leading character in 'The Shannara Chronicles'.
73. Glinda (Welsh origin) - Name of the good witch from 'The Wizard of Oz'.
74. Hermione (Greek origin) - Name of a titular female character in JK Rowling’s 'Harry Potter' Saga.
75. Inara (Hittite-Hurrian origin) - A sci-fi character from the TV series 'Firefly'.
76. Isabeau (Hebrew origin) - Name of the lead in the movie 'Ladyhawke'.
77. Kamala (Indian origin) - Name of 'Ms. Marvel', a famous character in the fictional Marvel universe.
78. Kara (Welsh origin) - The name refers to Kara Danvers who is 'Supergirl'.
79. Katniss (American origin) - The protagonist Katniss Everdeen in Suzanne Collins’s 'The Hunger Games'.
80. Leia (Hebrew origin) - A popular and strong female leader from the 'Star Wars', a famous sci-fi franchise, named Leia Organa Solo.
81. Leta (Latin origin) - Leta Lestrange pure-blooded witch from the Harry Potter World. One of the best fantasy girl names.
82. Mazarine (French origin) - Named after Mazarine Ford who acted as Alison Ford in the film 'Reflector'.
83. Minerva (Roman origin) - One of the most important characters in J.K Rowling's 'Harry Potter Saga' who is a transfiguration professor and head of Gryffindor, Minerva McGonagall. It refers to the "Goddess of war and wisdom".
84. Nerys (Welsh origin) - It means "uncertain" and refers to the 'Star Trek' character, Kira Nerys.
85. Nessa (Latin origin) - She was among the last queens of Tolkien's universe 'Arda', who is famed for her agility and is often accompanied by deer.
86. Nienna (Fictional origin) - Tolkien's fictional universe 'Arda'. She is the Lady of Mercy who constantly cries for the world's evils and her tears bringing hope and healing.
87. Nymeria (Greek origin) - Name of Arya Stark's pet dire wolf in George R R Martin's The Game of Thrones.
88. Nyota (Swahili origin) - A name derived from the 'Star Trek' Universe meaning "star".
89. Primrose (Welsh origin) - Character from Suzanne Collins’s 'The Hunger Games'.
90. Rosalind (Old German origin) - Name of the protagonist in William Shakespeare’s 'As You Like It'.
91. Ruatha (Scottish-Irish origin) - Meaning "red", from the 'Dragon riders of Pern' series.
92. Sansa (Sanskrit origin) - Sansa Stark, the elder sister of Arya Stark in 'The Game Of Thrones'.
93. Seraphine (French origin) - meaning "the burning ones". It is also the name of a Dryad quest giver in the 'World of Warcraft'. One of the fascinating girl names.
94. Seren (Welsh origin) - From Serena Valentino, a fantasy writer.
95. Sylvia (Latin origin) - From 'The Truman Show'.
96. Tiggy (Greek origin) - From Sophocles’ 'Antigone'.
97. Tess (Greek origin) - From 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles'.
98. Vána (Cambodian origin) - One of the most beautiful divine queens from Tolkien's world, Yavanna younger sister. One of the unique girl names.
99. Violet (English origin) - From 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'.
100. Wendy (English origin) - From 'Peter Pan'. One of the common girl names.
101. Willow (Middle English origin) - From 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'.
102. Ysabell (Hebrew origin) - From 'Mort'. One of the unique girl names.
103. Zazie (Hebrew origin) - Named after the character Zazie from Raymond Queneau's 'In The Metro'.
104. Zyla (Polish origin) - A name derived from 'World of Warcraft' referring to a Blood Elf.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Fantasy Girl Names then why not take a look at Names Meaning Dragon, or for something different take a look at Arthurian Names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.