Whether you're a first born, middle child, youngest child, twin or an only child, we've all felt we've been treated differently because of our birth order.
But did you know that birth order and personality could be connected? Check out these fun facts about birth order and find out what your birth order says about you.
It's a good idea to take this information with a pinch of salt as there are many factors that go into creating a person's identity. These include family environment, culture, wealth, location, opportunities, media, and experiences. But, the birth order theory can still be a fun concept to dive into and we think you'll love these birth order facts. Remember: these ideas aren't proven, there are of course plenty of exceptions and it is just a bit of fun really!
Facts About Birth Order Theory
While birth order isn't the most important element that shapes a person's identity, it can still play a role in how children perceive their world and their relationships. Here's some cool facts on how sibling order and personality are related, you might even find you relate to some of these characteristics.
1. Birth order is based on the order that siblings are born in. These cover first borns, second borns, middle children, last borns, twins and only children.
2. Birth order theory is the idea that birth order and personality go hand in hand.
3. A child isn't necessarily born with these traits, but they develop as a result of how parents treat them based on birth order, whether it is subconsciously or consciously.
4. The birth order theory has not been scientifically proven. So, you don't need to base your personality on the idea, but it can sometimes be helpful to understand how people are being treated differently based on their birth order.
5. The birth order theory emerged from Alfred Adler's research in the area and was the first to determine that birth order changes the way parents shape their children and determine their personalities.
6. Adler was an Austrian physician and psychometrician.
7. Adler also developed the concept of the inferiority complex and individual psychology. He was the first to argue that different positions in a family contribute to the way parents shape their kids' behavior.
8. The study says that rather than the birth order itself being the reason for the child's behavior, it is a result of how the parents treat their children and the family environment they grow up in that impact their personalities.
9. In Greek, 'psych' means "mind" and 'metr' means "measure". So, a psychometrician is essentially someone who measures someone's mind.
10. Kevin Leman is a psychologist who has also worked very hard on the birth order theory, saying that there is no doubt that birth order affects a person's personality.
11. He believes that the youngest child may be more adventurous, free spirited and open to new experiences than their older siblings.
Birth Order Facts About The Oldest Child
Here's some of our favourite first born child facts that sum up the oldest child pretty well. How many of these first born children characteristics relate to you or your oldest sibling?
12. For the first few months or years after the first child is born, parents often treat their child like the world revolves around them. Sometimes when parents do this, it sets an expectation inside of them that they deserve this level of attention in every interaction and this can create a very egotistical child.
13. One aspect of birth order theory is the concept of first born child syndrome. First borns may feel like they are no longer loved when a sibling arrives, which can cause them to act out in negative ways. This could include attention seeking, being overly competitive with their siblings, or even hurting their younger siblings physically.
14. First born children may feel the need to be first in everything they compete in if they are constantly given everything first. So, it's important to teach first borns how to take turns coming first. This can be done as simply as giving the first slice of cake to someone else.
15. Overpraising can be harmful to the oldest child's sense of self.
16. First borns are often perfectionists, high achievers and the most successful of their siblings.
17. Some of the first born characteristics are being quite bossy and controlling.
18. First born personality traits also include being very motivated, cautious and reliable.
19. The oldest child is said to be a natural leader as they are taught responsibility and obedience from a young age. Hillary Clinton, Winston Churchill and Barack Obama are all first born children who have become political leaders.
20. In history, first borns have always been held to a very high standard and have played a major role in societies. This includes heirs and Kings, who were often the oldest child next in line to take on the role.
21. Being the older sibling, they may have to act as a third parent depending on the family dynamic, meaning they are providing support to their parents to help raise their siblings.
Second Born Child Facts
While second borns can fall under middle child or youngest child, there are some interesting characteristics that second born children often have.
22. The second born child may become very competitive trying to overtake their older siblings. When they are older, this may translate into them becoming competitive and trying to overtake anyone in front of them.
23. Second children, like middle children, are more likely to be rebellious.
24. In the United States and Europe, second borns were more likely to get in trouble at school or even with the law than any other child.
25. The second child is often more optimistic than their older sibling.
Birth Order Fun Facts About Middle Children
Middle children are sometimes jokingly described as the neglected child of the family, but there are also many other personality traits that apply to them.
26. Middle children are often social butterflies as they tend to find relationships outside of the family as they might get less attention than their other siblings.
27. Middle children may feel that they don't receive equal amounts of parental love compared to their siblings. Older children are often given roles of responsibility while the youngest siblings are looked after, so middle children, being neither, might feel somewhat left to their own devices.
28. Middle child syndrome is the idea that people who are middle children are usually neglected because of their place in the birth order.
29. The middle child might also find themselves competing with their siblings for the attention of their parents.
30. Middle children can sometimes find themselves acting at the peacemaker between their siblings as they are used to being in the middle of everything and find it easier to see both sides.
31. If a middle child is neglected by their parents, they may find it hard to believe that their partners in future relationships do truly love them.
32. Middle children may be less family oriented.
33. Middle born children tend to have a strong focus on the friendships and relationships in their life.
34. Middle children may find it hard to set or reach goals and to work out where they belong in the world.
35. Middle children are the most adaptable out of their siblings.
36. It is likely that middle children will be the rebellious ones out of their siblings.
37. Middle borns are more independent than their siblings as they may be used to receiving less attention.
38. Middle children can either become rebellious or people pleases. This often depends on how the oldest child behaves. If they are very responsible, then the middle child may act out to get attention from their parents. This behavior will often continue into adulthood.
39. Famous middle borns include Katy Perry, Chris Hemsworth, Miley Cyrus, and Jennifer Lopez.
Birth Order And Personality Facts About Youngest Children
Everyone knows that youngest children are usually the most spoiled in the whole family, but there are many other birth order personality traits of youngest children.
40. Last born child syndrome is the idea that the youngest children are usually very pampered and are given more attention than their other siblings.
41. Money and resources can play a role in how the youngest children are shaped. As parents often tend to be older when their youngest is born, they might have more money to spend on their child than they may have been able to for their older children.
42. The youngest children are seen as the baby of the family (even if it is subconsciously). As the older children are maturing and on their way to independence, the last born child might get more attention from their parents.
43. The last born child tends to be an attention seeker
44. The youngest child can also develop a sense of inferiority as their accomplishments may just feel like copies of what their siblings had done earlier.
45. The last born child often has more freedom than their older sibling had when they were the same age.
46. The youngest sibling may be very charming, but they can also be manipulative.
47. The youngest of the siblings may feel like they are constantly being left behind as their siblings are further ahead in life than them. Even if it's being single while their sibling is getting married, they may be pressuring themselves to keep up and feeling like they are living in their sibling's shadow.
48. Last born children are constantly being compared to their siblings which can impact their sense of self. They may find it hard to escape from comments like "you are [insert sibling's name]'s little brother/sister]."
49. Some last born personality traits include being an attention seeker and self-centred. But they are also known to be uncomplicated, fun, outgoing and charming.
50. Youngest children often have less initiative as they are used to other people taking charge.
51. Being tormented and teased by older siblings from a young age may mean that last borns have thick skin.
52. The youngest child can be easily impatient, bored and spoiled.
53. Famous last borns include Zooey Deschanel, Julianne Hough, Cara Delevingne, Jennifer Lawrence and Willow Smith.
Fun Facts About The Only Child
(Only children are usually very close to their parents.)
54. Only children tend to seem more mature than other people their age as their first interactions are usually with people much older than them.
55. An only child may be used to being the center of attention as they have never had to share their parent's attention with siblings.
56. They may have been spoiled by their parents.
57. In order to get their way, only children may sometimes be manipulative.
58. Only children are known to be quite private and unforgiving but they are also very dependable.
59. Only children are usually very close to their parents.
60. A downfall of being an only child is that it is up to them to meet all of their parents' expectations of what a child should be.
61. Only children are often perfectionists.
62. Only children can be quite demanding as they may be used to having things go their way.
63. Some celebrities who are only children include Daniel Radcliffe, Idris Elba, Robin Williams, and Leonardo Dicaprio.
64. Only children are known to be very sensitive, but they are also known to be confident, responsible, and natural leaders.
Facts About Twins
Even twins can be affected by the birth order theory as they work to create an identity separate from their twin's and compete for their parent's attention.
65. Twins can often have issues with creating their own identity as they constantly feel attached to their other twin.
66. One of the twins usually takes on the role of the leader while the other one follows, which can impact their sense of self.
67. Some twins may struggle to find their place in the world.
68. Twins often strive for independence outside of their twin, particularly if they are identical or of the same gender.
69. The first born of the twins may be treated by their parents as if they are more mature than the other.
70. The first born child complex can even impact twins.
71. Twins may feel neglected as their parents are having to equally divide their time and energy between the two. This can leave them competing for attention in adulthood.
72. Twins are more likely to have more in common than non-twin siblings.
73. Famous people who are twins include Scarlett Johansson, Vin Diesel, Ashton Kutcher and Rami Malek.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly facts for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for fun facts about birth order, then why not take a look at these love facts, or hazel eyes facts?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.