One thing we love about arts and crafts is that the little ones can do them anywhere, even in a busy food market! How you ask? Well, with one and only Kids Table, popping up in Surrey, Battersea, Wembley, Fulham and more! Your children can enjoy creative activities for free, while parents are enjoying a delicious meal in a pub, a restaurant or even a market hall. Arts and crafts are a fantastic way for kids to have fun, challenge themselves and feel the unique reward of creating something from the most unpromising of materials. Loo rolls, empty jars, packaging of all kinds can be re-used and re-imagined into something fabulous. So, here are our 10 favourite DIY arts and crafts ideas:
1. Paper pinwheels are more fun than fidget spinners especially if you've made them yourself. You can use them to explore the power of breath and air, call them a mini wind turbine and is a good conversation starter about renewable energy!
2. DIY jellyfish are easy to make. Paint paper plates luminescent colours, turn them upside down and attach yarn. Then attach a loop of string to the other side and you can hang them in your own crafty blue crepe paper ocean.
3. Fairies in a jar are a magical way to re-use old jam jars. Add the contents of glow sticks and glitter and watch the fairies light up the room.
4. Cactus pet rocks are the ultimate low maintenance family pet. Find a suitable pebble, paint it the colour of your choice complete with cactus spikes and eyes and the sit it in a plant pot. Why not give it a name too ?
5. Thumbprint family trees are a lovely way to help children think about their family and how they fit in. Draw a tree with lots of branches and then gather thumb prints from family members like leaves at the end of the branches. You can also make one for friends.
6. Story Stones encourage children (and their parents) to use their imagination. Collect stones and paint different characters on them. Then use the stones to tell a story about the characters.
7. Decorate a beach bucket with butterflies, fairies or dinosaurs using waterproof adhesive paper. This is a simple activity with endless potential for creativity.
8. Make your own colourful lantern by carefully adding strips of coloured tissue paper to a white paper globe light shade. A cheap and easy way for kids to decorate and individualise their rooms.
9. Nature salt dough ornaments get kids outdoors to collect things that can be imprinted into salt dough. Leaves, acorns, shells are pressed into salt dough to leave and imprint. You can thread them with ribbon and then hang them from a suitably twiggy small branch.
10. Lolly stick bookmarks really allow you to use your imagination. What will you paint on yours ? A penguin ? A dog ? Spiderman ? Try adding felt flowers too.
The craft possibilities are endless. Put down the phone, gather some materials and let your imaginations run riot !
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.