This golden syrup cake is easy to make and delivers that lovely sticky syrup flavour that will make your mouth water!
Sumptuously sweet and exceptionally moist, there's nothing quite like cakes with golden syrup for delivering that perfect slice. Golden syrup is the real star of this bake – it's not only baked into the cake batter but also drizzled over the top.
This is a great cake recipe to make with the kids. The batter comes together really easily and doesn't require arms of steel to blitz lumps. Young kids may need some supervision to heat together some of the ingredients but there's plenty of stirring opportunities. This is no quick bake cake – while it's baking in the oven the kids will have an hour to burn off some energy before sampling their hard work.
Ready to try the recipe to end all golden syrup recipes? Read on...
You will need:
100g of butter.
50g of caster sugar.
50g of soft brown sugar.
200g of Tate Lyle golden syrup.
150ml of milk.
200g self-raising flour.
One large egg.
Two tbsp of Tate Lyle golden syrup (for glazing).
1. You'll need 20 minutes of prep time. Start by preheating your oven to 160C (140C fan), then grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
2. Into a medium pan add butter, the 200g of golden syrup, the caster sugar and brown sugar. Heat gently, stirring occasionally until all the ingredients have all melted together. Leave to cool for around 15 minutes.
3. While you're waiting beat together the milk and the egg and then set to one side.
4. Sift your self raising flour into a large bowl and to the flour, add the milk and egg mixture beating them together. Pour in the cooled golden syrup mixture and beat until you have a smooth batter. You may need to spend a few minutes working out all the lumps but the hard work will definitely be worth it.
5. Pour the mixture into your prepared baking loaf tin and cook in the oven for one hour, until golden on the top. Insert a skewer and if it comes out clean it's cooked through.
6. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes then prick all over with a fork or a skewer and spread the 2 tbsp of golden syrup all over the top.
7. Allow to cool completely then serve with ice cream.
Variations And Storage:
If you can't have eggs due to allergies or diet then a great tip is to switch them for one mashed banana. The milk can be switched to a dairy-free variety too, such as soy, almond or oat. For gluten allergies you can also switch to a flour of your choice (we love coconut flour for a bit of extra flavour!). You can make this cake with other syrups too - maple is perhaps the closest to the golden syrup flavour.
You can enhance the flavour of the cake by wrapping in greaseproof paper, then a layer of tin foil and leaving to stand for a few days. It will keep for up to five days.
To freeze, cut into slices, wrap individually and pop in the freezer.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.