Flapjacks are arguably the tastiest of sweet treats and tray bakes, made from rolled oats, honey, syrup and all things delicious and sweet!
Flapjacks are a popular British originating sweet snack, which became mostly known during the 1920s. During the war, the recipe was cheap to cook, used minimal rationing ingredients and put a smile on everyone's faces.
Not only are they delicious, but healthy too. It's important to be creative in finding ways to sneak in some of that nutritional goodness into our kids' diets, without them realising. This can easily be done with these healthy granola flapjacks, packed with oats and seeds, full of fibre and goodness and great for the promotion of a healthy gut and digestion! These flapjacks are tasty and nutritious, a perfect combination! It also makes for a great breakfast recipe too to cook in the morning. Take a read below at our flapjack granola recipe that we know your kids will just love to cook and snack on!
One Of The Best Granola Flapjacks Recipes Around!
You Will Need:
-2 cups of rolled oats
-3/4 cup of brown sugar
-1/2 cup of wheat germ
-3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
-1 cup of all-purpose flour
-3/4 cup of raisins (optional for extra sweetness)
-1/2 cup of golden syrup or honey
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1 egg beaten
-1/2 cup of butter (melted butter)
-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
-1/2 cup of sunflower seeds, poppy seeds or chia seeds (optional but great for an extra protein source and fibre)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius depending.
2. Grease an ovenproof tray with butter. Heat your melted butter by microwaving the butter for 1.30 minutes.
3. Mix the oats, sugar, germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins, seeds and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Stir them together until all the ingredients are evenly distributed within the mix.
4. Use a spoon and make a crater in the centre of the dry mix. Pour in the golden syrup, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract.
5. Stir the ingredients together until it forms a gooey sticky mixture. Make sure all the ingredients are combined well. It should be at this stage a pale golden/ cream colour.
6. Put the mixture into the ovenproof tray greased with butter and stir and spread across the tray evenly. Pat the mix down to form an even layer.
7. Bake the flapjack mixture for around 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven until the bake mix turns a lovely golden colour.
8. Take out of the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes, then cut your granola flapjacks into bar shapes. Make sure the flapjacks still have heat and are warm when you cut them, as when they are cold they will be too hard to cut. Brush with extra syrup and sprinkle with sugar for extra sweetness!
How To Store
To get the best out of the shelf life, store in a cool, dry place, ideally in a cupboard or pantry. Keep in an airtight container.
Extra Tips And Tricks To Add To The Recipe To Make These The Best Granola Flapjacks
Why not try adding nuts, seeds and sugar glacier cherries to the flapjack mix for extra crunch and flavour. Another addition to the recipe is to drizzle melted chocolate and sprinkle cinnamon on top, for extra decoration, heat and tastiness! Sieved icing sugar on top with a shadow cut out pattern is also a special way to decorate these treats.
For those of you with allergies, use coconut oil instead of butter to avoid dairy. Also, spelt and amaranth are great substitutes for those of you with oat allergies.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.