Cities of ancient Greece and present-day Greece are still a mystery for archeologists.
Ancient Greece was a network of communities that had a shared religion and language. Different traditions like athletic competitions and Panhellenic games unified Ancient Greeks.
A most popular and powerful ancient Greek city was Athens. Athens has the ruins of the Lyceum, where Aristotle taught over 2300 years before now. Greece isn't only known for its historic cities, it's also known to have beautiful names like Nefeli (F), Achilles or Achilleas (M), Calliope (F), Lasonas (M), Phaedra (F), Leonidas (M), Zoe (F), Alexandros (M), Thalia (F), Andreas (M), Selene (F), and Damianos (M).
Ancient Greece had city-states, which were known as 'polis'. Ancient Greece didn't have any king or central government. Although, the ancient Greek city-state was a country once during the reign of Alexander the Great. The names of the five Greek city-state were Athens, Sparta, Thebes, Corinth, and Delphi. The residents of each of the polis didn't consider themselves Greek. These cities in Greek past and present will help remind you what Greek was once like and where it stands now. You can also learn some facts about each city.
Names Of Major Greek Cities
Most of the Greek people live in urban areas. While Ancient Greece followed the city-state format, the city-state definition being that each state had its own rules, present-day Greece is a unified country. The most populated major cities like Athens and Thessaloniki have populations of four million and one million respectively. These cities' place names are major modern and ancient Greek cities because of their population and output. Read on for more Greek city names.
1. Acharnes, is part of the Athens Urban area and has over 100,000 inhabitants in its municipality.
2. Agia Varvara, is a village in Heraklion.
3. Agios Nikolaos, is a town in Crete.
4. Agrinio, the largest city in Greek from the Aetolia-Acarnania region. It has over 106,000 residents in its largest municipality.
5. Aigio, was a part of Achaea, West Greece. Now, it is a municipality in Aigialeia.
6. Argos, is a city in Argolis, the Peloponnese, a very beautiful region in Greece.
7. Arta, is a regional unit of Greece. It is known for its unique architecture.
8. Artemida, is a seaside resort town.
9. Athens, Athens is the largest city of Greece. It dominates the Attica region and is also one of the oldest cities in the world. The city has a population of over four million. Athína is the Greek name of Athens.
10. Chania, the second-largest city in Crete. The municipality has over 108,000 inhabitants as of 2011.
11. Corfu, also known as Kerkyra in Greek. The city is also the capital of the Ionian Islands. The population of the whole island is over 111,000 as of 2011.
12. Corinth, is an ancient Greek city located in south-central Greece. Its Greek name is Kórinthos.
13. Dafni, is a part of the municipality Dafni-Ymittos.
14. Eleftherios-Kordelio, is a former municipality of the regional unit of Thessaloniki.
15. Eleusis, is a municipality in the West Attica Regional unit.
16. Ermoupoli, is a former municipality on the island of Syros.
17. Gazi, is a town in Athens and is known for industrial museums and exhibitions.
18. Gerakas, is a former municipality in East Attica. It is also the birthplace of the famous philosopher Epicurus.
19. Giannitsa, was a former post-glacial lake in Central Macedonia. It is known for the Cathedral Church of Giannitsa, the Neoclassical Multicenter, the Filippeio tourist center, the Macedonian tombs, and the prehistoric settlement of Archontiko.
20. Glyfada, is located in the southern part of the Athens Urban Area. Glyfada is the largest of the southern suburbs of Athens.
21. Glyka Nera, is a suburb in Athens and is known for its beaches.
22. Grevena, is a town and municipality in Western Macedonia and is known for its variety of mushrooms that grow there.
23. Heraklion, the urban area of Heraklion has over 211,000 population, while the municipal has over 173,000 population. The Greek city was named the fastest-growing destination in Europe in 2011.
24. Ialysos, is a tourist destination and is known for a new settlement of Ixia.
25. Ierapetra, is a town on the south coast of Crete and is known as the 'bride of the Libyan Sea'.
26. Ilio, one of the largest suburbs of Athens, and its located in west Athens. It has over 84,000 inhabitants.
27. Ioannina also pronounced Yannaena. It is the largest city in the Ioannina regional unit and of Epirus.
29. Kalamaria, is the second-largest municipality of Thessaloniki Urban area and also one of the largest in Greece with over 91,000 population.
30. Kallithea, the biggest city in the Athens urban area. It is also the eighth-largest municipality in Greece with over 100,000 inhabitants.
31. Kalymnos, is an island in Greece and is known for sponge diving.
32. Kamatero, is the fastest-growing municipality in Attica.
33. Kavala, one of the northern cities of Greece. It plays an important role in the economic center of Northern Greece.
34. Kilkis, is a city in Central Macedonia and is known for the Balkan Wars, Greek Resistance, and Greek civil war.
37. Larissa, a national transport hub and a key agricultural center. One of the major Greek city-states. It is the fifth most populated city in Greece with a population of over 144,000.
45. Mykonos, is one of the prettiest places in Greece. The place got its name from Mykonos, who is considered as the son or grandson of Apollo, the Sun God in Greek mythology.
46. Mytilene, the capital of Lesbos, a Greek Island. The city is old and was founded in the eleventh century BC.
48. Nea Alikarnassos
49. Nea Filadelfeia
51. Nikaia, Attica, located in the southwestern part of the Athens Area.
52. Oraiokastro, is a municipality in the Thessaloniki regional unit.
53. Orestiada, is known for its medical center, an orchestra, and a sugar factory.
54. Patras, known as the third-largest city in Greece, a beautiful city that has over 167,446 residents in its urban area. The City is a commercial hub with a very busy port.
55. Pefka, was a former municipality in the Thessaloniki regional unit, Greece.
56. Pefki, is a Greek beach resort town.
57. Peraia, is a suburb of Thessaloniki, Greece.
58. Perama, is the port city of Athens and is known for ferry services to Salamis Island.
59. Peristeri, is the seventh-largest municipality in Greece as a result of the over 139,000 inhabitants.
60. Piraeus, Piraeus is a Greek port city and is located in the region of Attica, Greece.
61. Preveza, is the capital of the prefecture and served as the harbors of Epirus.
62. Pyrgos, is the former capital of Santorini and is known for its well-preserved medieval settlement.
63. Rafina, is a port town in the southern part of Euboea. It is the second-largest port of Attica.
64. Rhodes, Rhodes has one of the most preserved medieval towns in Europe, which is the citadel of Rhodes built by Hospitallers.
65. Salamina, is the largest Greek island in the Saronic Gulf. It is known for the Battle of Salamis.
66. Serres, one of the major cities in Greece. It is a city in Macedonia, Greece, and also the second-largest city in the region of Central Macedonia, after Thessaloniki.
67. Thebes, is a city in Boeotia and is known for its appearance in various folklore about Cadmus, Oedipus, Dionysus, and Heracles.
68. Thessaloniki, the second-largest city in Greece. Thessaloniki has over one million residents in its metropolitan area. It is also sometimes referred to as the co-capital. The Greek city is located on the Thermaic Gulf, at the northwest corner of the Aegean Sea.
69. Trikala, a northwestern city in Thessaly and also the capital of the regional unit. In 2011, about 131,000 people were resident in the Trikala regional unit.
70. Tyrnavos, is a municipality in the Larissa region.
71. Veria, a city located in central Macedonia in northern Greece. Going by Greece standards, Veria is also an old city because it was first mentioned in 432 BC by Thucydides.
72. Volos, the coastal port city in Thessaly. Volos is the sixth most popular city in Greece and it is the capital of the Magnesia regional unit of Thessaly Region. It is the country's largest agricultural region.
73. Voula, is a former municipality in East Attica, Greece, and now a part of Athens.
74. Ymittos, is a municipality in the Dafni-Ymittos of Athens.
Small Greek Cities
Though the major cities in Greece are Athens, Thessaloniki, and Patras, the country is filled with many small cities. So, in case you are wondering what place names you should remember or visit, then we have the perfect list. Some of the popular and known Greek places' names are as follows.
75. Agios Nikolaos, is a coastal town on Crete island. This town appeared in various novels by Daphne du Maurier especially in may 'Not After Midnight'.
76. Chora Patmos, is a city on the island of Patmos.
77. Fiskardo, is a fishing village on the Ionian island of Kefalonia.
78. Galaxidi, is a scenic city in Greece. It is known for its quaint streets and neoclassical mansions.
79. Kalambaka, is a beautiful city known for its red-roofed houses, tenth-century Virgin Mary church, and handmade wooden souvenirs.
80. Metsovo, is located in northern Greece and is a skiing destination. It is known for its 15th-century church of Agia Paraskevi, 17th-century castle, a folk art museum, and local cheese and wine.
81. Mithymna, is the Greek tourist destination on the Lesbos island and is known for the Byzantine Castle of Mithymna, olive groves, and hospitality.
82. Monemvasia, is the island village of Monemvasia on the Peloponnese coast.
84. Nafplio, is the perfect one-day trip destination if you are in Athens. It was once an important seaport during the Middle Ages. It is known for its Greek architecture, 20th-century neo-Mediterranean architecture, churches, and so much more.
85. Oia, is one of the top tourist destinations in Santorini. This is a car-free city so prepared to walk around much and enjoy the beautiful snow-white buildings, churches, and art galleries with deep blue domes.
86. Parga, is the beach resorts town of Greek known for its perfect location for sandy beaches, sunbathing as well as the 14th century Venetian castle. You can also enjoy a good stroll in orchards and olive groves.
87. Parikia, is a small town in Greece and the capital of Paros. The place is known for its whitewashed buildings with colorful doors and a 13th-century castle.
88. Symi Town, is the center for shipbuilding and a favorite tourist destination. The place is known for its waterfront cafes and scenic views. It also houses the 18th century Greek Orthodox monastery, a castle by the Knights of St. John, and numerous Byzantines churches and chapels.
Lost Ancient Greek Cities
In case you are on the search for lost ancient cities in Greece, then we have compiled a list of names of ancient cities of Greece that are either abandoned, submerged, or destroyed. Below we have listed all the ancient Greek city-states you could search for.
89. Actium, is an abandoned city located near Ambracian Gulf and is now known as Punta.
90. Aegae, is an abandoned city located near modern Vergina and is now known as Aigai.
91. Agrinion, is an abandoned city located near modern Agrinio and is known as Agrinium.
92. Aigosthena, is an abandoned city located near Attica and is now known as Egosthena.
93. Alalcomenae, is an abandoned city located near Ithaca.
94. Alexandria, is an abandoned city located near the confluence of the Indus and Chenab rivers, Pakistan.
95. Alinda, is an abandoned city located near Karpuzlu, Turkey, and was also known as Latmos.
96. Bouthroton, is an abandoned city located near southern Albania and also known as Butrint, Bouthrotios, or Buthrotum.
97. Brauron, is an abandoned city located near Attica, Greece, and is also known as Vravrona or Vravronas.
98. Colosse, is an abandoned city located near Phrygia, Asia Minor, and is also known as Colossae, Chonae, or Kona.
99. Cyrene, is an abandoned city located near Shahhat, Cyrenaica, Libya.
100. Dodona, is an abandoned city located near Epirus, Greece, and is also known as Dòdònè.
101. Dorylaion, is an abandoned city located near Eskişehir, Turkey, and is also known as Dorylaeum.
102. Dyme, is an abandoned city located near Achaea, Greece.
103. Golgi, is an abandoned city located near Cyprus and is also known as Golgoi.
104. Halieis, is an abandoned city located near Porto Heli, Argolis.
105. Heraclea, is an abandoned city located near Lucania, Italy, and is also known as Anglona.
106. Heraclea Minoa, is an abandoned city located near Montallegro, south coast of Sicily and is also known as Hêrakleia Minôia, Rhachlôtês, or Heracliensis.
107. Iasus, is an abandoned city located near Caria, south-west Turkey, and is also known as Iassus.
108. Kamarina, is an abandoned city located near the south-eastern coast of Sicily and is also known as Camarina or Kamerina.
109. Kasmenai, is an abandoned city located near Hyblaean Mountains, south-eastern Sicily, and is also known as Casmene or Kasmene.
110. Laodicea, is an abandoned city located near Combusta Lycaonia, Turkey, and is also known as Laodicea Catacecaumene
111. Larissa, is an abandoned city located near Troad, Turkey.
112. Mantineia, is an abandoned city located near Arcadia, Greece, and is also known as Mantinea.
113. Megara Hublaea, is a city located near Augusta, eastern Sicily, which is destroyed.
114. Metapontum, is an abandoned city located near Lucania, southern Italy, and is also known as Metapontium.
115. Myos, is an abandoned city located near Ionia, Anatolia.
116. Naxos, is an abandoned city located near Crete.
117. Olbia, is an abandoned city located near the Ukrainian Black Sea coast and is also known as Pontic
118. Olous, is a drowned city located near Elounda, Crete, and is also known as Olus.
119. Olynthus, is an abandoned city located near Chalcidice, northern Greece.
120. Oricos, is an abandoned city located near Epirus, near Vlorë, Albania.
121. Orestias, is an abandoned city located near Turkish Thrace.
122. Pandosia, is an abandoned city located near Epirus.
123. Pavlopetri, is a submerged city located near Laconia.
124. Pella Macedon, is an abandoned city located near Greece.
125. Plataea, is a city located near Boeotia, Greece, which is destroyed and was also known as Plataeae.
126. Phanagoria, is an abandoned city located near Cimmerian Bosporus, Ukraine.
127. Pinara, is an abandoned city located near Lycia, Turkey.
128. Potidaea Chalcidice, is a city near Greece, which is destroyed and was also known as Potidaia or Potidea.
129. Pteleum, is a city near Thessaly, Greece, which is destroyed.
130. Pydna, is a city near Macedon, whose location and existence is disputed.
131. Rhamnus, is an abandoned city located near northern Attica, Greece, and is also known as Rhamnous.
132. Rhypes, is a city near Achaia, Greece, which was destroyed.
133. Rizinia, is an abandoned city located near Crete.
134. Salamis, is an abandoned city located near Cyprus.
135. Smyrna, is an abandoned city located near Izmir, western Turkey, and is also known as Old Smyrna.
136. Soli, is an abandoned city located near Cyprus and is also known as Soloi.
137. Sozopolis, is an abandoned city located near Pisidia, Turkey.
138. Temnos, is an abandoned city located near Aeolis, Turkey.
139. Thespiae, is an abandoned city located near Boeotia and is also known as Thespiai.
140. Thronium, is an abandoned city located near Epirus and is also known as Thronium.
141. Thoricus, is an abandoned city located near southern Attica.
142. Tiruns, is an abandoned city located near Argolis, Peloponnese.
143 Tylissos, is an abandoned city located near Crete.
144. Tyras, is an abandoned city located near Black Sea coast in Ukrainian.
145. Tyros, is an abandoned city located near Lebanon and is also known as Tyre.
146. Vasiliki, is an abandoned city located near Minoan city.
147. Vathypetros, is an abandoned city located near Minoan city.
148. Zakynthos, is an abandoned city located near Zante.
149. Zakros, is an abandoned city located near Minoan city.
150. Zankle, is an abandoned city located near the Strait of Messina and is also known as Messina.
Kidadl has lots of great baby names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for 150 Greek City Names Past And Present then why not take a look at something different like 100+ Illithid Names For Your Characters, Ships, And Cities or 40 Dwarven City Names From Dungeons And Dragons, Warhammer, World Of Warcraft, And More!
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.