With bonuses from their orc ancestry, the 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons half orc ranks among the best races for the barbarian and druid class.
Half orcs are physiologically similar to humans, but bear certain traits of the orc races. Notable examples are their commonly slanted foreheads and greenish or greyish pigmentation of the skin.
Unlike orcs, half orcs do not have a predisposition towards orcish names. Often, homeless half orcs will blend into the society of humans and don a human name. But other than that, they can retain some features of an orc name, most notably a prominence of guttural sounds. Their last names can be either human or orcish.
Half Orc Names For Girls
A list of brave half orc names for a female character.
1. Adda (Finnish origin) meaning "noble" and "graceful".
2. Birgitta (Irish origin) meaning "strong". Another variation is Brigida.
3. Blumma (Yiddish origin) meaning "floral".
4. Dagmar (Old Norse origin) meaning "maid of the day".
5. Davidda (Hebrew origin) meaning "adored".
6. Goldda (Yiddish origin) meaning "Golden woman".
7. Gormlaith (Scottish origin) meaning "renowned princess".
8. Lawanda (English origin) meaning "of the Vandal tribe".
9. Mathilde (Germanic/Norwegian origin) meaning "mighty in battle".
10. Ruddee (Thai origin) meaning "pleasure".
11. Shayna (Yiddish origin) meaning "gorgeous".
12. Suska (Egyptian/Hebrew origin) meaning "lily".
13. Thedda (Greek origin) meaning "gift of God".
14. Yenna (Gaelic origin) meaning "gift of healing".
15. Zibba (Persian origin) meaning "gorgeous".
Half Orc Names For Boys
A collection of intense-sounding names for brave male half-orcs.
16. Balder (Old Norse origin) meaning "bearer of the light".
17. Basheer (Urdu origin) meaning "bringer of good news".
18. Chadrick (English origin) meaning "warrior".
19. Egemen (Turkish origin) meaning "superior".
20. Gabbor (Hebrew/Hungarian origin) meaning "God's bravest man".
21. Garuda (Sanskrit origin) meaning "king of birds".
22. Goddard (Germanic origin) meaning "as strong as God".
23. Jurrgen (Greek origin) meaning "farmhand".
24. Khaddim (Arabic origin) meaning "one who serves".
25. Maddox (Welsh origin) meaning "son of Madoc".
26. Reggie (Latin origin) meaning "king".
27. Shardul (Sanskrit origin) meaning "tiger".
28. Vaughan (Welsh origin) meaning "small".
29. Yaeger (Germanic origin) meaning "hunter".
30. Zaviyar (Spanish/Arabic origin) meaning "lionheart" and "brave".
Gender Neutral Half Orc Names
Unisex names that fit all half orcs irrespective of gender preference.
31. Abbel (Hebrew/Low German origin) meaning "breath".
32. Binnh (Vietnamese origin) meaning "peaceful".
33. Claude (Latin origin) meaning "feeble one", an ironic name for burly fighter half orcs.
34. Fergie (Gaelic origin) meaning "vigorous" and "rock".
35. Frodde (Old Norse origin) meaning "clever" and "wise".
36. Gyeong (Korean origin) meaning "respected".
37. Rattnum (Hindi origin) meaning "jewel".
38. Robbin (Old German origin) meaning "bright fame", also refers to an English bird.
Half Orc Names Inspired By Popular Media
Orcs and brutish characters are a staple of fantasy media, be it novels or video games - here are some you can use as a name for your own half orcs.
39. Arkail the Butcher of Bay Harbor is a gigantic orcish warrior from the Bloodjaws legion. He is the player character in the video game 'Of Orcs And Men'.
40. Atusa (Persian origin) meaning "skilled". Atusa is a lizard woman who is executed by the magisters for helping sorcerers in the game 'Divinity: Original Sin 2'.
41. Balanar, better known as the Night Stalker, is a strength-based hero in the popular MOBA 'Dota 2'.
42. Bolg is an orc chieftain of the Misty Mountains in J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit'.
43. Burz gro-Khash is the leader of the Cheydinhal fighter's guild as encountered in 'The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion'.
44. Drek'thar the orc warlock is a seer in the Froswolf clan, as found in the World of Warcraft universe.
45. Garona Halforcen is a major historical figure in the Warcraft universe. A half-orc half-dranei spy, she is the killer of king Wrynn and a general of the Horde in the first invasion of Azeroth.
46. Mogul Khan the Axe is an ogoldi general of the Red Mist army, a hero in the MOBA 'Dota 2'.
47. Nutt is an orcish character from Terry Pratchett's Discworld saga.
48. Orgnar is a human Nord bartender found in the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood from 'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim'.
49. Rehgar (Sanskrit/Hindi origin) meaning "swift". Rehgar Earthfury is an orcish healer hero from the MOBA 'Heros of The Storm'.
50. Shagrat is an uruk-hai captain in Tolkien's legendarium, controlling the tower of Cirith Ungol in a mountain pass that grants entry into Mordor.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for Half Orc Names then why not take a look at Tiefling Names, or for something different take a look at Ancient Names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.