Hermit crabs are the perfect pet if you are looking for something low maintenance.
These crabs are different to standard crabs. Unlike most other crabs, they are unlikely to snap off your fingers, meaning they are a safer pet to own!
Unlike other sea pets, hermit crabs can survive outside of water, meaning they don't need to be submerged all the time. Land hermit crabs do need water every now and then, though, so make sure to always have a bowl nearby that it can crawl into and out of when it likes. Hermit crabs can live for quite a long time (about 30 years in their natural habitat, given they don't get eaten). However, they have a shorter lifespan in captivity (which can be anything between less than a year and 20 years).
Did you know that a hermit crab is edible just like a regular crab? But don't worry, you won't want to eat these cute pets! You can't easily tell the gender of a hermit crab from its appearance unless you're an animal expert, that's why most of the names on this list are gender neutral for your hermit crab.
Hermit crabs are called hermit crabs thanks to their need to find a shell to live in in order to survive. Living without a shell which is very dangerous for them as, without the shell, you can see their fragile exoskeletons which are exposed. These cool creatures have a total of 10 legs, and most hermit crabs are nocturnal.
After all those facts about hermit crabs it is finally time for some names! If you would love to get a hermit crab as a pet, here are some hermit crab name ideas to inspire you when naming your pet hermit crabs. For more pet name ideas, check out these funny fish names or these fresh fish names.
Cute Hermit Crab Names
Hermit crabs are cute and deserve cute crab names too. There are cute names for your female hermit crab or male hermit crab on this list that you will love. Here are some cute hermit crabs names for your new crawling pet.
3. Bruce, can also refer to Bruce Wayne from 'Batman'.
5. Captain Hook, from the cartoon 'Peter Pan'.
12. Homer, from the cartoon 'The Simpsons'.
17. Kraken, referring to a huge giant sea monster.
18. Mr Krabs
19. Little Creep, for your little creeper.
26. Pinchy, for your pinchy little pet.
27. Pokemon, after the famous cartoon and game.
38. Stabby, for a crab that likes to poke at things.
Funny Hermit Crab Names
A cute baby hermit crab makes a great addition to your home. They don't take up much space and are just absolutely adorable creatures. If you are bored of the usual Captain Hook and Mr Krabs suggestions, here are some funny hermit crab names that will crack you up.
41. Cantankerous, for a crab that destroys stuff.
43. Claws, when your pet uses his or her little pincers a lot.
44. Crabby, for a moody crab.
47. Gordon Ramsea, hilarious for an ill-tempered crab.
49. Grumpy, for a crab that is always grumpy.
51. Jaws, from the movie 'Jaws'.
54. Peeves, if your misbehaving hermit crab is your pet peeve.
56. Rocky, for your little champ.
57. Salty, you know, because they are from the sea!
59. Scrab, a cute and funny name for your pet.
62. Shell-don, the name of a character from 'The Big Bang Theory'.
66. Sushi, a funny name from a type of seafood.
67. Sulky, for a crab that sulks a lot.
Big Hermit Crab Names
Hermit crabs in the wild can grow very big. When walking along the shore, you might spot some hermit crabs without shells, this might be because they have either grown out of their shell or it may have been damaged in an attack. These hermit crabs will be on the lookout for new shells to make their home! Here are some big hermit crab names for the largest pet crabs.
74. Bashful, a name for a crab that likes to bash stuff.
75. Big Mac
76. Biggie, for the biggest crab.
78. Billy Bob
81. Brutus, for a pet that uses brute force.
82. Bubba Gump
83. Buddy, for your best bud.
92. Freddie, a common male name that would also suit big hermit crabs.
96. Hermie, a classical name for giant hermit crabs.
99. Maxie, for big and strong pets.
102. Oreo, for your biscuit lookalike pet.
104. Recluse, a name for a shy crab.
111. Tony, this name is usually given to someone of strength.
Tiny Hermit Crab Names
Good hermit crab names aren't that hard to come by, all you need is a little creativity. You can choose names based on the physical features of your pet hermit crab, such as its size. If you have baby hermit crabs you should choose the right names that suit them. Here are some tiny names for your pet hermit crab or your hermit crab babies.
115. Captain crab
117. Cherry, for your little cherry.
121. Copper, referring to the both material and the color.
125. Digger, for a pet crab that likes to dig.
126. Dory, after the cartoon character fish called Dory.
128. Edward Scissorhands, for crabs with sharp pincers.
130. Elvis, the name of the famous and iconic musician.
135. Jack Sparrow, from the movie 'Pirates Of The Caribbean'.
137. Kermit, after the cartoon character Kermit the frog.
138. Leonardo DaPinchy, a funny twist to the actor's original name.
140. Nemo, from the cartoon 'Finding Nemo'.
142. Nipper, for a crab who likes to nip stuff.
143. Penny Pincher
145. Poseidon, after the Greek God.
147. Quasimodo, another name from a cartoon character.
148. Seabiscuit, perfect for a tiny crab.
150. Sebastian, named after the crab in 'The Little Mermaid'.
151. SpongeBob, from the famous cartoon series 'SpongeBob Squarepants'.
154. Zoe, perfect for a smallish pet.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for hermit crab names, then why not take a look at something different like these funny cow names, or these chicken names that will make you chuckle.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.