The birth of a child is a gift and a blessing in a parent’s life.
No wonder many parents want their baby’s name to be special and angelic. They want the best for their baby, starting with the name.
So, here is the perfect list if you wish to give heavenly names that mean angel to your baby. It includes 60 angel names for babies with details of their origin and description.
An angel is a spiritual being, a messenger of God. Angels are presented as heavenly bodies with wings, a halo and surrounded by glowing light. The word itself suggests goodness, kindness, warmth, a blessing and all that is good in life. That is why these angelic names make such popular baby names. The name Angel itself means "messenger" and it is used for both boys and girls, making it a unisex name. In fact, it is quite a popular name, in 2019, the name was the 72nd most popular name given to male babies and the 395th most popular name for female babies in the United States according to the U.S Social Security Administration. It is a particularly common name in Spanish speaking families.
We hope you enjoy this list of baby names that mean angel and that you find the perfect name for your baby.
Girl Names That Mean Angel
Below are some interesting girl names that mean angel. These heavenly baby names that mean angel could be perfect for your little girl.
1. Aalyssa (Hebrew and German origin), meaning “sweet angel”. It is a traditional name that is elegant and classy. An apt angel baby name.
2. Abhinoor (Indian origin), one of the best names that mean “angel”, this is a unique name for a baby girl.
3. Agnola (Italian origin), this name means “angel”. Another variant of this name is Agnolla.
4. Annchi (Chinese origin), meaning “peace” and “angel”. The name works well as a middle name too.
5. Angelene (Greek origin), meaning “messenger of God”. A similar name that could be used is Angelea.
6. Angeni (Native American origin), meaning “spirit angel”. It is a unique name that makes a great angel baby name.
7. Ariel (Hebrew origin), meaning “lion of God” and is a biblical character. Other forms of this name are Ariella, Arielle.
8. Auriel (Latin origin), meaning “golden”. This name reminds us of thick beams of sunshine and is an elegant name that has depth. A baby name suitable for an elegant and angelic baby.
9. Aya (Japanese origin), meaning “angel having magical powers”. It depicts joy and cheerfulness.
10. Dalili (Swahili origin), meaning “sign from Gods”. This baby name has a spiritual feel to it.
11. Devika (Sanskrit origin), meaning “like an angel”. It is a popular baby girl name in India and Sri Lanka.
12. Divine (Hebrew origin), meaning "beloved". It is a common name for a girl and has lots of potential and warmth. A very angelic name indeed.
13. Evangelina (Greek origin), name meaning “good news”. This baby name has a feminine ring to it.
14. Erela (Hebrew Origin), name meaning “angel”. This angel name is quite unique. A good name for your baby girl.
15. Farishta (Arabic origin), name meaning “angel”. It is a commonly used name in Persian speaking countries. One of the most popular female angel names.
16. Fenal (Arabic origin), meaning “angel of beauty”. It is a rare and less common baby name.
17. Jannah (Arabic origin), meaning “heaven”. The name means heavenly and signifies the Islamic concept of paradise.
18. Lirisha (Indian origin), meaning “beautiful angel”. A popular angel name. One of the most popular girl names as well.
19. Luz (Spanish origin), meaning “light”. This name is short and original.
20. Malaika (Swahili and Arabic origin), meaning “angel or small child”. It is a variation of the word ‘malak’ that means messenger.
21. Tangie (American origin), meaning “angelic”. It works well with the names of other siblings.
22. Tien (Vietnamese origin), meaning “fairy”. It is an uncommon name that is simple and sweet.
23. Tuyen (Vietnamese origin), meaning “ray”. This is an uncommon name and works great as a middle name too
24. Uriella (Hebrew origin), meaning “God’s light”. The name has a spiritual ring to it.
25. Yael (Hebrew origin), meaning “to be blessed”. A popular angel name.
Names That Mean Angel For Boys
Choosing a name that means angel for a baby boy can be challenging. Angel is a popular and trendy name for boys, here are few alternative boy names that mean angel.
26. Abaddon (Hebrew origin), meaning “ruler of evil spirits”. This Hebrew name is a Gothic name and is one of the names that mean dark angel, but it remains a cute choice for a baby boy.
27. Agelos (Greek origin), meaning “messenger”. One of the more spiritual angels' names for boys.
28. Agnolo (Italian origin), meaning “angel”.
29. Angelito (Spanish origin), meaning “little angel”. It is a cute name for a boy.
30. Berty (German origin), meaning “angel bright”.
31. Dangelo (Italian origin), meaning “angel messenger”. It works well as a middle name too.
32. Engel (Dutch origin), meaning “angel”.
33. Englebert (German origin), meaning “bright angel” .
34. Haniel (Hebrew origin), meaning “gift of God”. It is an angel related to Venus.
35. Imamu (Swahili origin), meaning “spiritual leader”. The name conjures greatness.
36. Ingel (German origin), meaning “angel”. Another variant of this name is Ingall.
37. Javan (Hebrew origin). He is the guardian angel of Greece and this Hebrew name is a traditional name for a boy. It One of the more popular names that mean guardian angel.
38. Jibril (Arabic origin), meaning “Archangel Gabriel”. It is a unique name that is classy for your baby.
39. Kemuel (Hebrew origin), meaning “helper of God”. It is the perfect name for boys and is a daring name for a baby.
40. Malak (Arabic origin), meaning “angel”. It works well as a middle name too. It is one of the boy names that work as a girl’s name too.
41. Michael (Hebrew origin), meaning “who is like God”.
42. Raphael (Hebrew and French origin), meaning “God has healed”.
43. Riyon (Indian origin), meaning “beauty of heaven”, an apt name for a baby.
44. Raziel (Hebrew origin) is an angel of mysteries.
45. Uriel (Hebrew origin) is the angel of light and is a Biblical character.
46. Zerachiel (Hebrew origin) is the angel of healing. He is also said to be the angle for children, responsible for guiding them in the right direction. He is one of the angels in the Book of Enoch, the traditional Hebrew religious text.
Gender Neutral Angel Names
Are you expecting a baby and not sure if it is a boy or a girl? Or perhaps you wish to name your baby angel a name that is not related to gender? Forget boy and girl names, here is the perfect list of angel names that are gender neutral.
47. Agnello (Greek origin), meaning “angel”. It is a familiar name in Italy and is gender neutral.
48. Ambarish (Indian origin), meaning “angel from heavens”. It also means “sky”. It is a popular name for babies in India.
49. Angel (Greek origin), meaning “messenger of God”. It is an evergreen name for a baby. Other variants of the name are Engel, Angelus. It is quite a popular name in the U.S and France.
50. Anna (Hebrew, Old Greek origin), meaning “grace”. It is a popular name for babies in France and quite a number of famous people have been associated with this name including Anna Chlumsky.
51. Cael (Irish Gaelic origin) is the angel of the Zodiac sign Cancer. Its similarity with the name Kale or Cale has led to its popularity.
52. Elin (Welsh origin), meaning “angel”. It also means “torch”. It is a really cute name for a baby and can be used for both genders. A variant of this baby name is Eileen.
53. Homiya (Unknown origin), meaning “angel”. It is a unisex name and is a familiar name in India.
54. Jassi (Persian origin), meaning “special angel”, is a name that is suitable for both boys and girls. The name is quite common in India.
55. Laiba (Arabic origin), meaning “pretty angel of heaven”.
56. Noor (Arabic origin), meaning “light’. It is a mesmerizing name suitable for boys and girls. It works as a middle name too. Another variant of this name is Nur.
57. Parya (Unknown origin), meaning “angel”.
58. Rajju (Indian origin), meaning “angel of softness” and is a female angel name.
59. Seraphim (Hebrew origin), meaning “angel”. Its Biblical version is Seraphin. Other variants of this name are Seraphia.
60. Tamera (Hebrew origin), meaning “beloved angel”. It is one of the best gender neutral angelic names. Another form of this name is Tamar.
Kidadl has lots of great baby names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for baby names that mean angel, then why not take a look at these angelic names, or for something different take a look at these names that mean faith.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.