Being hurt is an emotional pain triggered by someone being cruel to you or treating you unfairly.
Every one of us goes through different types of pain in our lives whether it’s from trauma, loss, disappointment, or heartbreak. It is an inevitable part of life.
Although everyone feels pain and heartbreak, everybody heals differently, at different rates. When someone says they are damaged it indicates that they have undergone trauma the effects of which they believe cannot be overcome. Many of us have begun to believe sadness, pain and hurt are negative emotions that make us weak. These emotions are the trademark of being alive and kindhearted.
For more related content take a look at [darkness quotes] and you matter quotes.
Here are some great quotes about life and how to overcome painful experiences.
1. “You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, love like you'll never be hurt.”
— William W. Purkey.
2. “I really believe I’ve been a good person. Not perfect – forget about perfect – but just learning by what I was taught and living by my own values.”
― Kiri Te Kanawa.
3. “If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help.”
― John Steinbeck.
4. “Communication is your bridge to other people. Without it, there's nothing. So when it's damaged, you have to solve all these problems it creates.”
― Earl Sweatshirt.
5. “Every one of us, no matter how damaged or abnormal or shut down, we're all looking for love. Every person needs love in this world, but our views on what love is varied enormously.”
― Olga Kurylenko.
6. “Every life deserves a certain amount of dignity, no matter how poor or damaged the shell that carries it.”
— Rick Bragg.
7. “You grow up a bit damaged or broken then you have some success but you don't know how to feel good about the work you're doing or the life you're leading.”
― Johnny Depp.
8. “Don't chase after the people that hurt you, replace them with people that care.”
― Kaoru Shinmon.
9. “You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.”
— Nicholas Sparks.
10. “So other people hurt me? That’s their problem. Their character and actions are not mine. What is done to me is ordained by nature, what I do by my own.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
11. “Never be afraid to suffer, it’s just a tool that some people aren’t willing to use. It’s that very tool that strengthens weak people.”
― David Goggins.
12. “If you don't give power to the words that people throw at you to hurt you, they don't hurt you anymore. And you actually have power over those people.”
― Stephen Colbert.
13. “Believe it or not, you can actually hurt people by playing into their self-pity.”
― Joyce Meyer.
14. “If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything. Some people learn to embrace it, to love it.”
― Sarah J. Maas.
15. “People who love themselves, don’t hurt other people. The more we hate ourselves, the more we want others to suffer.”
― Dan Pearce.
16. “It no longer mattered if it was the chicken or the egg; it was quite simply a nest from which both beautiful and damaged things came.”
― Tessie Regan.
These are the best quotes about experiences in life that lead to sadness taking over people.
17. “Sometimes you weren't supposed to share pain. Sometimes it was best just to deal with it alone.”
― Sarah Addison Allen.
18. “For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.’ ”
― John Greenleaf Whittier.
19. “Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source.”
― Anais Nin.
20. “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment. Pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
― Bette Davis.
21. “I envy the mortals. It's because they're weak and damaged that they can love.”
— Julie Berry, ‘Lovely War’.
22. “We're not damaged, we're just human.”
— S.W. Lauden.
23. “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.”
— Bob Marley.
24. “It is when we hurt that we learn.”
— Steve Maraboli.
25. “Truth always originates in a minority of one, and every custom begins as a broken precedent.”
— Will Durant.
26. “When something is so damaged or something is just not right, you can't fix it in a moment. The only thing is time.”
27. “With time the pain eases, the body recovers and the brain figures out new ways to go on.”
— Federico Chini.
Quotes About Being Hurt
These quotes about getting hurt and having to go through tough times are inspiring.
28. “Don’t waste your time on revenge. Those who hurt you will eventually face their karma.”
― Matava Pearl.
29. “Words can hurt you. In the larger world, it frames how people think about you, and it can hurt you in lots of little, subtle ways.”
― Nathan Myhrvold.
30. “It hurts when people walk into your life and make you happy and then walk out and leave you hurting.”
― Adrian Rayshawn.
31. “Just because one person's problem is less traumatic than another's doesn't mean they're required to hurt less.”
― J.A. Redmerski, ‘The Edge Of Never’.
32. “The surest way to hurt yourself is to give up on love, just because it didn’t work out the first time.”
― Amanda Howells, ‘The Summer Of Skinny Dipping’.
33. “Sometimes even stuff you expect to happen can still hurt.”
― Jennifer Brown.
34. “Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again.”
― Rosa Parks.
35. “I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”
― C. S. Lewis.
36. “We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.”
― Seneca The Younger.
37. “Hurt is a part of life. To be honest, I think hurt is a part of happiness, that our definition of happiness.”
― Julian Gough, ‘Juno & Juliet’.
38. “Pain doesn’t hurt as much when you stop avoiding it.”
― Mel Robbins.
39. “From hurt comes pain, from pain comes change. If it hurts enough, change will happen.”
― Tripp Evans.
Love can be rough! Here are some great quotes about heartbreaks and how to overcome them.
40. “People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they’re afraid to feel?”
— Jim Morrison.
41. “Relationships fail because people take their own insecurities and try and twist them into their partner’s flaws.”
― Baylor Barbee.
42. “A profound love between two people involves, after all, the power and chance of doing profound hurt.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, ‘The Left Hand Of Darkness’.
43. “If you love deeply, you're going to get hurt badly. But it's still worth it.”
― C. S. Lewis.
44. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.”
― Nicholas Sparks.
45. “It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.”
― Miguel de Unamuno.
46. “The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartbreak is soon forgotten.”
― William Faulkner.
47. “Perhaps someday I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.”
― Sylvia Plath.
48. “Spiteful words can hurt your feelings but silence breaks your heart.”
― C. S. Lewis.
Damaged Heart Quotes
These great quotes show a damaged heart's pain.
49. “What if the worst thing that happened to you turns out to be the best thing that has ever happened to you?”
― Joe Dispenza.
50. “All writers, I think, are to one extent or another, damaged people. Writing is our way of repairing ourselves.”
― J. Anthony Lukas.
51. “But just because something's been damaged doesn't mean it's ruined.”
― Claudia Gray.
52. “'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”
― Alfred Lord Tennyson.
53. “It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.”
― Sara Teasdale.
54. “It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and the broken promises.”
― Chief Joseph.
55. “She was damaged and broken and there wasn't any kind of glue in the world that could fix her.”
― Julie Bale.
56. “Storytelling can heal broken hearts and damaged minds.”
― Dean Koontz.
57. “You can legally lie about the real world to your heart's content, but until some human being is materially damaged, nobody will complain.”
― Richard Dawkins.
58. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
― Marilyn Monroe.
59. “I still own my heart, which I know because it hurts so much.”
― Emilie Autumn.
60. “It's a lot easier to heal an injured body than a damaged soul.”
― John Flanagan.
Damaged People Quotes
Here are some quotes about people who have been damaged and are fighting their way to overcome the sadness.
61. “We were both damaged goods that had a hand in damaging each other further.”
― Jessica N. Watkin.
62. “It's so much more interesting to study a ... damaged world. I find it difficult to learn anything in a place that's too civilized.”
― Brian Herbert.
63. “Damaged people gravitate towards damaged people.”
― Norman Reedus.
64. “It is better for people to be loved and attended to, rather than hated or neglected, is again a plain fact, not a matter of opinion.”
― G. J. Warnock.
65. “People who are seriously damaged by sudden fame and notoriety have, in my experience, very low esteem at the root of their being.”
― Roger Lloyd-Pack.
66. “Everybody’s damaged. It’s just a question of how badly, and whether you’re healing or still bleeding.”
― Angela N. Blount, ‘Once Upon A Road Trip’.
67. “Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.”
— Josephine Hart, ‘Damage’.
68. “You are damaged and broken and unhinged. But so are shooting stars and comets.”
— Nikita Gill.
69. “Libraries are places where the damaged go to find friends.”
— Tamora Pierce.
70. “Why is there ever this perverse cruelty in humankind, that makes us hurt most those we love best?”
― Jacqueline Carey, ‘Kushiel's Chosen’.
71. “I believe the same is true for most people who go into mental health. We are drawn to this profession because we are damaged - we study psychology to heal ourselves.”
— Alex Michaelides, ‘The Silent Patient’.
72. “No matter how badly you have been damaged, God can repair you. God can give anyone a second chance.”
— Melody Carlson.
73. “I don't know what it says about me that I have a greater affinity with the damaged. Probably nothing good.”
— Tracy Letts, ‘August: Osage County’.
74. “Just because something's damaged doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated with respect.”
— Sarah Dessen, ‘Along For The Ride’.
Emotionally Damaged Quotes
These quotes about overcoming emotional damage might help you out!
75. “When people are very damaged, they can often meet the world with a kind of defiance.”
― J. K. Rowling.
76. “How does one craft happiness out of something as important, as complicated, as unrepeatable and as easily damaged as life?”
― Sonya Hartnett.
77. “Life has turned into a fascinating experiment on how to optimize a damaged mind and body in a biologically toxic environment.”
― Steven Magee.
78. “The worst wounds, the deadliest of them, aren't the ones people see on the outside. They're the ones that make us bleed internally.”
― Sherrilyn Kenyon.
79. “Many people are suffering deep emotional anguish beneath the surface of their lives, and smile even as they hurt inside.”
― Jim Palmer.
80. “Damaged psyches aren't the problem. The problem is disconnected souls. What we need is a connection. What we need is a healing community.”
— Larry Crabb.
81. “Emotional hurt is the price a person has to pay in order to be independent.”
― Haruki Murakami.
82. “We are damaged and impulsive, each in our own way. It is harder. It is not safe. But it is what you were born to.”
— Margo Lanagan.
83. “An obsession is a way for damaged people to damage themselves more.”
— Mark Barrowcliffe.
84. “We are all damaged. We have all been hurt. We have all had to learn painful lessons. We are all recovering from some mistake, loss, betrayal, abuse, injustice or misfortune.”
— Bryant McGill.
85. “We're all weird and damaged in our own way. You're not the only one.”
— Jennifer Niven, ‘Holding Up The Universe’.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for damaged quotes then why not take a look at Christian quotes about love, and beautiful soul quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.