'The Book Thief' is a historical fiction novel, a made-up story that revolves around historically true events.
The book, written by Markus Zusak, was published in 2005 and further adapted into a film in 2013. The book was banned and challenged earlier as it made intricate claims about the Nazi rule.
Markus Zusak wrote 'The Book Thief' in a unique format as 'Death' is the narrator of the story where he could easily comment on the inhumanity of humans. He writes in the end, "I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." The book consists of Liesel, the protagonist, and 'The Book Thief' who went against the Nazi trend of burning books, stealing from the bonfire so she could read. Following are a few important death quotes as well as the 'The Book Thief' quotes about Liesel and Hans, Max, Rudy Steiner quotes too that you will yourself say sometimes.
For more quotes, check out ['The Kite Runner' quotes] and ['All The Light We Cannot See' quotes].
Markus Zusak Quotes About Humans And Life From 'The Book Thief'
Showing love for things like books and people without hesitation was something that the humans had to face every day during Nazi Germany. Markus Zusak tried to show the hardships that everyone faced through the following quote-list.
1. "A small fact: You are going to die..."
- Narrator, 'Death And Chocolate'.
2. "I guess humans like to watch a little destruction. Sandcastles, houses of cards, that’s where they begin. Their great skill is their capacity to escalate."
- Death, '100 Percent Pure German Sweat'.
3. "If only she could be so oblivious again, to feel such love without knowing it, mistaking it for laughter..."
- Narrator, 'Champagne And Accordions'.
4. "The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you."
- Narrator, 'The Kiss'.
5. "The impoverished always try to keep moving, as if relocating might help. They ignore the reality that a new version of the same old problem will be waiting at the end of the trip—the relative you cringe to kiss."
6. "Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day. That was the business of hiding a Jew."
- Narrator, 'The Swapping Of Nightmares'.
7. "The human heart is a line, whereas my own is a circle, and I have the endless ability to be in the right place at the right time. The consequence of this is that I’m always finding humans at their best and worst."
- Death, 'One Toolbox, One Bleeder, One Bear'.
8. "She was saying goodbye and she didn't even know it."
- Narrator, 'Confessions'.
Stunning Quotes About Death From 'Book Thief'
Death as a narrator shows the power of words throughout the novel. All the people face death every time in some way or the other. This list below comes directly from the words of Death itself.
9. "It kills me sometimes, how people die."
- 'The Cardplayer'.
10. "I am haunted by humans."
- 'The Handover Man'.
11. "I've seen so many young men over the years who think they're running at other young men. They are not. They are running at me."
- 'The Accordionist'.
12. "He steps on my heart. He makes me cry."
- 'The End Of The World (Part II)'.
13. "I have to say that although it broke my heart, I was, and still am, glad I was there."
- 'The End Of The World (Part II)'.
14. "Even death has a heart."
- 'The Floating Book (Part I)'.
Important Quotes By Different 'Book Thief' Characters
Sometimes a word from the protagonist girl could give a new way to the other characters. This quote-list would get you to even like the other characters for their important quotes and words.
15. "I have enough books at home... I’m rereading something else with my papa. You know, the one I stole from the fire that night."
- Liesel, 'The Gamblers'.
16. "One was a book thief. The other stole the sky."
- Narrator, 'The Sky Stealer'.
17. "You’re either for the Führer or against him—and I can see that you’re against him. You always have been."
- Hans Junior, 'A Short History Of Hans Hubermann Vs. His Son'.
18. "It was the book she wanted... She wouldn’t tolerate having it given to her by a lonely, pathetic old woman. Stealing it, on the other hand, seemed a little more acceptable. Stealing it, in a sick kind of sense, was like earning it."
- Narrator, 'The Whistler And The Shoes'.
Markus Zusak Memorable Movie Quotes From 'Book Thief'
Though death feels like it is haunted by humans, read these many quotes from the 2013 much-loved film that shows different things and sides that best describe humans.
19. "Words are life, Liesel."
20. "Despite every effort, no one lives forever."
21. "A person is only as good as their word, Liesel."
22. "Liesel: I don't understand. What did he do so wrong?
Max: He reminded people of their humanity."
- 'The Book Thief'.
23. "Burn a book. Go on, burn a book. Go on. I'll be watching both of you."
24. "I miss my dad. I don't even know if he's alive. I'm not ready. I want to grow up before I die."
25. "While ten thousand souls hid their heads in fear, and trembled, a Jew thanked God for the stars that blessed his eyes."
26. "You may find this hard to believe, but it's the best thing I've ever thrown up."
27. "To most people, Hans Huberman was barely visible. An unspecial person...not noticeable."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'The Book Thief' quotes then why not take a look at say ['The Hate U Give' quotes] and ['A Fault In Our Stars' quotes].
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.