If one's blood sugar is much higher as compared to normal levels, it leads to a disorder called diabetes.
The causes of diabetes are complex but mostly attributed to obesity, a sedentary lifestyle, and poor eating habits. About 10% of people with diabetes have type 1, and 90% have type 2.
Type 1 diabetes is usually detected at an early age, and the risk of developing type 2 diabetes is more commonly seen in the older age groups. Although it is unclear why that happens in some people and not in others, the chronic effect of diabetes can be managed with the right treatment and discipline; the glucose level can be kept under control. Whatever the treatment, everyone with diabetes needs to be prepared to manage it in the long run without forgoing a normal life.
The common symptoms in diabetic patients are noted as 3 P's - polydipsia, polyuria, and polyphagia. In simple terms, they are increased thirst, urination, and appetite. If you know someone with diabetes, the right thing to say to them is that they have all the support they need to keep it under check, and all they need to do is exercise regularly, keep their weight under control, and eat healthy food at regular intervals.
If you enjoy our light-hearted quotes aimed at motivating people with diabetes, do check out [Doctor quotes] and [Biology quotes] as well.
Quotes About Disease
Some of the signs to keep a tab on for a person having diabetes are 3P's, unexplained weight loss, fatigue, irritability, and slow healing of injuries, among others. Type 1 diabetes symptoms are more apparent than type 2. Some can live with type 2 diabetes for up to 10 years before they know they have diabetes. It is crucial to pay attention to any symptoms and not ignore them to detect diabetes early and start treatment immediately.
1. "With all of the holiday cheer in the air, it's easy to overlook the ingredients in the foods. Ingredients such as salt, sugar, and fat - all of which leads to diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, strokes, heart disease, and cancer."
― Lee Haney.
2."Insulin is not a cure for diabetes; it is a treatment. It enables the diabetic to burn sufficient carbohydrates so that proteins and fats may be added to the diet in sufficient quantities to provide energy for the economic burdens of life."
― Frederick Banting.
3. "I have high blood sugars, and Type 2 diabetes is not going to kill me. But I just have to eat right, and exercise, and lose weight, and watch what I eat, and I will be fine for the rest of my life."
― Tom Hanks.
4."Unhealthy eating habits cause major health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease, and can also lead to food insecurity, disrupted eating patterns, and low self-esteem."
― Matt Cartwright.
5."Diabetes is a lousy, lousy disease."
― Elaine Stritch.
6."Trying to manage diabetes is hard because if you don't, there are consequences you'll have to deal with later in life."
― Bryan Adams.
7."Diabetes just boggles me. I know when you get a heart pain; I’ve had them. I don’t know what diabetes feels like. … If someone had said to me, 'What’s your No. 1 health problem?' I would have said heart disease and then diabetes. And what doctors tell me now is that I can transpose them and say diabetes."
― Larry King.
8."The situation with regard to insulin is particularly clear. In many parts of the world diabetic children still die from lack of this hormone"
― Charles Best.
9. "Growing up, coming to terms with, and living through the complications of Diabetes."
― Paul Cathcart.
Diabetes Quotes - Inspirational
To motivate someone with diabetes, make it effortless for them to follow the rules, help them visualize the success, be supportive, encourage a healthy and active lifestyle, and in the end, do not forget to pay a hearty reward. Here are some of the inspirational health quotes for those who have type 1 & type 2 diabetes.
10. "Believe you can and you’re halfway there."
― Theodore Roosevelt.
11. "People take ownership of sickness and disease by saying things like MY high blood pressure MY diabetes, MY heart disease, MY depression, MY! MY! MY! Don’t own it because it doesn’t belong to you!"
― Stella Payton.
12. "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
― Albert Einstein.
13. "Don’t go through life, grow through life."
― Eric Butterworth.
14. "The way to deal with the devil of obesity and diabetes is literally one day at a time."
― Stephen Furst.
15. "Diabetes taught me discipline."
― Sonia Sotomayor.
16. "We have diabetes, it gets to come along with us, it doesn’t get to stop us."
― Chris Olsen.
17. "Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well."
― Marcus Valerius Martial.
18. "'When it comes to eating right and exercising, there is no 'I'll start tomorrow.' Tomorrow is disease."
― Terri Guillemets.
19. "Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship."
20. "Good food is wise medicine."
― Alison Levitt M.D.
21. "Health is not valued till sickness comes."
― Thomas Fuller.
22. "Diabetes is a great example whereby, giving the patient the tools, you can manage yourself very well."
― Clayton M. Christensen.
23. "I was determined to share my positive approach and not let diabetes stand in the way of enjoying my life."
― Paula Deen.
Funny Diabetes Quotes
Once diagnosed and treatment has started, it does not have a to be serious journey afterward. One can always have a little humor added to it and make it an easy road. Here are some fun and inspirational diabetes quotes.
24. "You know when you eat too many sweets and get diabetes? Paparazzi are the diabetes of materialistic culture. "
― Shirley MacLaine.
25. "I fought Sugar Ray so often, I almost got diabetes".
― Jake Lamotta.
26. "A life without sweets is not much worth living."
― Pawan Mishra.
27. "Ants always eat sweet food ... but none of them haven't diabetes?"
― Ali Ghasaby.
28. "Diabetes sounds like you’re going to die when you hear it. I was immediately frightened. But once I got a better idea of what it was and that it was something I could manage myself, I was comforted."
― Nick Jonas.
29. "Many a diabetic has stayed alive by stealing the bread denied him by his doctor."
― Martin H. Fischer.
30. "Diabetes is passed that way — over and down, like a knight in chess."
― Maile Meloy.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for inspirational Diabetes quotes then why not take a look at Nurse quotes, or Chiropractic quotes.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.